Visalus Shakes and MFP?

Options
I'm trying to figure out if I should still be counting my calories while using the Visalus Shakes (2/day)? I know they are a meal replacement and restrict calories so if I'm eating my 1200 Net a day...is that counter active to what the product is intended to do? I saw 3 pound drop in the first 4 days using the shakes and now have not seen the scale change in 10 days - at least it's remaining the same... would appreciate some answers here, thank you!

Replies

• chokeslam512
    chokeslam512 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Count everything. The shakes probably contain calories and should be treated as any other food. Tracking them will also help to keep track of your macro nutrients.
  • Craigamears
    Craigamears Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    These are 90 calories each and have 12 gms of of protein and 7 gms of carbs. The label shows each serving has about 1/3rd of your vitamins and minerals. So... it appears that these are true meal replacements and the idea of the program is to eat a "normal" 3rd meal of the day. For most folks this would be from 400-600 cals. This would bring your daily calories up to about 800. This assumes that your 3rd meal is nutritious and balanced to get your vitamins and minerals.

This wil work for the short term and not injure your health. What will happen is your metabolism will slow. When the "diet" is over you will gain water weight and your metabolism will store fat for a while until it figures out that you won't be going into hibernation again. But it is not addressing the reason for the obesity. It wasn't for a lack of shakes that the weight was gained. You need to address this while adding back your meals. Portion control, non-emotional eating, etc will be the issue going forward.
  • nwinterberg
    Options
    I appreciate your comments. On a typical day, after exercise, I have about 300-500 calories remaining and I realize it will eventually slow my metabolism which is not my intent. I'm wondering if this might be why I'm not seeing any more weight loss using the shakes? I've already implemented making healthier choices in food, etc... I guess I'm trying to figure out if I should even be using the meal replacements or if I should save my money and just use food/calorie counting?
  • Craigamears
    Craigamears Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I used a medically supervised 700 cal or so a day shake diet to lose 90 pounds. From 360 to 270 in a relatively short period of time. I gained 60 of that back within a year. I have since lost that 60 through eating and exercising.

I am of Scotch descent so I vote for keeping your money in your pocketbook and just work on tracking. I figure it will take about 2 years to lose the weight and keep it off long enogh to nail down the maintnenace process. I am looking at it more as a project to relearn how to be a functional human being. I have a FitBit and an Aria digital scale integrated into MFP so it is fun in the morning. You see exactly what foods did what to you. I have since lowered my carbs because, for me, I am very carb and sodium sensitive. Also I was over exercising and lost about 10 libs by not working out. I have also upped my calories some. I keep tweaking.
  • jtmurph7
    Options
    I am also using the Visalus shakes...I have been on them for over 1 month. for the first so days I saw no weight loss or loss in inches.. I have been on MFP for a little over 2 weeks. After figuring out my BMI and TDEE. I realized that 1200 is not enough for me.. I was working out before I started the shakes but I just couldn't loose weight in fact I was gaining. I realize that all this time I was not eating enough calories. I do a shake for breakfast 250-300 calories. I eat a snack I do a light lunch salad and tuna. then another snack in the afternoon I drink my second shake after my workout then I eat a light dinner. putting me at 1466 calories plus my workout calories. Om my rest days I do my shake in place of lunch.but I make sure that I am close to my 1466 calories. and over the last 2 weeks I have lost 3 lbs and inches.. Make sure you are eating enough.. I had a hard time with eat more to loose but it is all in what you eat also. If you make good healthy choices the weight has to come off..
  • Jmanning729
    Options
    Ive been using them for 2 weeks now and have lost 4lbs and 2 inches! i love the flavor too