• kxlly
    kxlly Posts: 21
    Options
    I prefer real food.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    I prefer real food.

Me too...but whey is a supplement, not a substitute. I get quite a bit of protein from my "real food"...but I need whey to meet my macro goals and training goals.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I like my protein in steak form. But okay, whatever works for others, good for them.

Lucky. I can't eat red meat. :( or if I do eat it, it has to be VERY rarely.

Interesting. Thank you for sharing. I take whey, but didn't know much about the background of it, so it was neat to read this.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    do people spring for the isolate? i usually just get the cheapest **** i can find, which usually claims to be a concentrate/isolate blend

Me too...I looked at getting some isolate, and it was a damn small tub and very $$$. I just get the concentrate/isolate blend. Maybe if I was seriously looking at having a competition body I'd spring the $$$ for the isolate, but I don't really think it's necessary.
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    keep in mind that protein shakes are in fact SUPPLEMENTS, this means they are meant to supplement an already balanced and healthy diet. They are not meant to replace or be the only answer for your daily protein intake.
    For the people who have posted in wonderful ignorant fashion that they will stick with 'real food', I invite you to post a full days mean plan that gives you 1-2 grams of protein per pound of body weight while still keeping calories, cholesterol, fat, and sodium within reasonable levels. And before you say that's too much protein for a person, I encourage you to do a little research on how to build lean hard muscle so you don't consistently sound unintelligent while giving advice on something you know nothing about
  • MontanaSkier
    MontanaSkier Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Great article. Thanks for posting.
  • SimpleThingsInLife
    Options
    Appreciate the article and did more research on Jim Stoppani. Actually did the math and found that my whey is below average on his scale. :sad:

Thanks for sharing!
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    keep in mind that protein shakes are in fact SUPPLEMENTS, this means they are meant to supplement an already balanced and healthy diet. They are not meant to replace or be the only answer for your daily protein intake.
    For the people who have posted in wonderful ignorant fashion that they will stick with 'real food', I invite you to post a full days mean plan that gives you 1-2 grams of protein per pound of body weight while still keeping calories, cholesterol, fat, and sodium within reasonable levels. And before you say that's too much protein for a person, I encourage you to do a little research on how to build lean hard muscle so you don't consistently sound unintelligent while giving advice on something you know nothing about

you could probably do it with chicken alone actually. but it would probably be more expensive and definetly less convenient
  • cmstefanelli
    cmstefanelli Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I will try it. Thanks!
  • JGT2004
    JGT2004 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    bump
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Save your money and eat food.
    Actually, I was thinking the opposite - as per the above, can certainly get protein powder cheaper than most lean meats.

Chicken, I paid £4 for 500g earlier; and that's on offer - 65p for 25g of protein.
    For a cheap whey powder, we'd be talking around 36p for 25g protein.

I do my workouts at my work unit where there's no water supply, so actually it's easier to have some precooked meat in some tinfoil - though I could of course pre-mix the protein too and it's relatively less hassle to prepare (though compared to aforementioned sausages, not much as they are just chucked in the oven for 25 mins).

As I'm starting to take my weights seriously, want to make the most from my workouts - also need to get around to getting some creatine.

Edit - and yes, I have been eating at least 175g of protein a day on both circa 1450 calories and 2450 calories (rest vs workout days), thanks to chicken, etc - but it's not cheap and does take some thinking about. Thankfully I'm pretty carnivorous, so it suits me.
  • davidrip1
    davidrip1 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Didn't know all the reasoning behind, but it's good to have more understanding. I always aim for Isolate or better because of the lactose (I'm intolerant) but now I understand that it was a good thing without me evening knowing. Thanks for the info :)
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the article.
    I have tried it and liked it, however I suspect if has caused some bouts with kidney stones(not all, but possibly some).

My nephrologist(kidney DR) said it is always best to get nutrition from real food.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    Save your money and eat food.
    Actually, I was thinking the opposite - as per the above, can certainly get protein powder cheaper than most lean meats.

Chicken, I paid £4 for 500g earlier; and that's on offer - 65p for 25g of protein.
    For a cheap whey powder, we'd be talking around 36p for 25g protein.

I do my workouts at my work unit where there's no water supply, so actually it's easier to have some precooked meat in some tinfoil - though I could of course pre-mix the protein too and it's relatively less hassle to prepare (though compared to aforementioned sausages, not much as they are just chucked in the oven for 25 mins).

As I'm starting to take my weights seriously, want to make the most from my workouts - also need to get around to getting some creatine.

Edit - and yes, I have been eating at least 175g of protein a day on both circa 1450 calories and 2450 calories (rest vs workout days), thanks to chicken, etc - but it's not cheap and does take some thinking about. Thankfully I'm pretty carnivorous, so it suits me.

recommend you do some reseach on post exercise nutrition then. whey or chicken alone is good but not optimal
  • RockyDon
    RockyDon Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Bump For later
  • kxlly
    kxlly Posts: 21
    Options
    I prefer real food.

Me too...but whey is a supplement, not a substitute. I get quite a bit of protein from my "real food"...but I need whey to meet my macro goals and training goals.

Fair enough!
  • Kany
    Kany Posts: 336
    Options
    *bump*
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • JezzD1
    JezzD1 Posts: 431
    Options