Newbie in Need of Help!

Options
Hi Everyone, I am new to this and need some help. I started Atkins on January 2, 2013, in Mid January I also started taking Phentermine. I have so far lost a total of 33 pounds. I was using the lose it app but since discovering the My Fitness Pal, I love it and won't use anything else. So here are my questions...

-I have gone from working out never to working out 5 days a week, Mondays and Thursdays are an hour of Zumba and Tues, Wed, Friday are couch to 5k, which is 5 minutes of brisk walking and then the next 20 minutes are alternating 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking. It proceeds to go up every week after that. On the Phentermine I hardly ever want to eat. My calorie intake after exercise every day has pretty much never been over 700 calories. Is this going to hurt me in the long run?

-I've tried to incorporate more carbs in since I find that I don't want to never be able to have carbs in my life again. I want to be healthy and not over indulge in food but be able to enjoy things like Mashed Potatoes or Pasta every now and again, not every day like I used too. I have changed the carb intake settings to 30%, which I still never hit but want to ask if that is reasonable?

-My starting weight was 318 pounds and I'm now at 285. I'm also afraid that if I start eating more calories the weight will come back on. Is that crazy? The foods I do eat are healthy and mostly lean meats and vegetables.

-Has anyone had success with a diet that isn't Atkins and lost a considerable amount of weight. I'm thinking of switching to weight watchers, again I just want to be able to control the portions. Right now that's easy because of the Phentermine. I'm afraid when I come off of it, I'll want to eat all the time again.

-Yes, I know Phentermine is bad, but when you've done everything in your power and nothing really works, this working makes it hard for me to not take it.

Thanks for taking the time to read and hopefully giving me great advice!

Replies

• kini324
    kini324 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

First off, congrats on the weight loss!!!

I know you know this, but please, please consider stopping Phentermine sooner rather than later. In the long run, it is unhealthy, isn't really teaching you how to get into healthier eating habits, and you'll gain the weight back. I was overweight my entire life- I've lost weight three times and have done everything! Slim fast, Metabolife, eating 1000 calories a day, and excessive work outs. I always gained it back. I thought nothing else would work too when I was at my highest (250). That's simply not true because eating healthy and working out WILL work as long as it's done right. I don't mean to be harsh at all. I just know, when you think nothing works, there's a piece of the puzzle you're /I'm/ we're missing.

You definitely need to eat more than 700 calories a day. Yes, it will hurt you in the long run. Your metabolism will slow down because it's not getting enough fuel. It will go into starvation mode. I was working out six days a week and eating only about 1600 calories a day and was plateaued. I couldn't figure out why because I worked hard. Just this past month, I read an article that showed me I was under eating. Now the scale is moving again.

You can eat carbs, but eat complex carbs like sweet potatoes, whole grains, oats, brown rice, spinach, broccoli, beans, zucchini, and oatmeal. 30% is totally reasonable!

I started out on Weight Watchers and it taught me portion control. I had no idea how much I was overeating I think it's a great starting point to eating better. Right now , I'm doing an eating challenge called the Whole30 Challenge. I'm eating all natural, no processed foods, no sugar, no grains. All lean proteins, veggies, and some fruit and complex carbs. It's been amazing for me in shrinking my belly. I'm on day 20 and it has stopped my night time snacking, and my emotional eating.

I hope this helps some. Please know this comes from a place of wanting to help. Please contact me if I can answer any questions.
    Thanks!!
    Jennifer
  • seif0068
    seif0068 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

First off, congrats on the weight loss!!!

I know you know this, but please, please consider stopping Phentermine sooner rather than later. In the long run, it is unhealthy, isn't really teaching you how to get into healthier eating habits, and you'll gain the weight back. I was overweight my entire life- I've lost weight three times and have done everything! Slim fast, Metabolife, eating 1000 calories a day, and excessive work outs. I always gained it back. I thought nothing else would work too when I was at my highest (250). That's simply not true because eating healthy and working out WILL work as long as it's done right. I don't mean to be harsh at all. I just know, when you think nothing works, there's a piece of the puzzle you're /I'm/ we're missing.

You definitely need to eat more than 700 calories a day. Yes, it will hurt you in the long run. Your metabolism will slow down because it's not getting enough fuel. It will go into starvation mode. I was working out six days a week and eating only about 1600 calories a day and was plateaued. I couldn't figure out why because I worked hard. Just this past month, I read an article that showed me I was under eating. Now the scale is moving again.

You can eat carbs, but eat complex carbs like sweet potatoes, whole grains, oats, brown rice, spinach, broccoli, beans, zucchini, and oatmeal. 30% is totally reasonable!

I started out on Weight Watchers and it taught me portion control. I had no idea how much I was overeating I think it's a great starting point to eating better. Right now , I'm doing an eating challenge called the Whole30 Challenge. I'm eating all natural, no processed foods, no sugar, no grains. All lean proteins, veggies, and some fruit and complex carbs. It's been amazing for me in shrinking my belly. I'm on day 20 and it has stopped my night time snacking, and my emotional eating.

I hope this helps some. Please know this comes from a place of wanting to help. Please contact me if I can answer any questions.
    Thanks!!
    Jennifer

^ What she said!
  • lauraelizabethwms
    Options
    Thank you so much! So I have my calories set for 1300 per day, do you think that is too few?
  • Ladyono2
    Ladyono2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Laura, I'm new too. Wow! You are off to a great start. My nutritionist has told me that Atkins is not safe. Yet, my friend and mother have both tried it and made great progress in the beginning. I also need encouragement and constant motivational prompting. Welcome.
  • Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Make your calories around 2000-1800 calories, 1300 is way to small for your current body weight you'll just go in starvation mode and end up relapsing. when you get to 230-200lbs then you can lower it a next 200-300 calories. To prevent from plateaus make sure you change your workout routine every 3-4 weeks which will keep you body guessing and forcing it to adapt to a different workout routine. The usual no soda's and try to limit juice to 1 glass a day 250ml/8oz. Its okay to have a cheat day once a week but make sure you stay within your calories for the day. Also drink lots of water. Hope this helps somewhat :)
  • gbert2011
    Options
    Hi! I am fairly new to MFP...but I love the availablitiy, and the encouragement. I am an "old" weight watcher's girl, and have lost in excess of 50 # a few years ago...the one thing I remember is if I didn't eat enough I would not lose weight and I'd gain weight every time. I would say your calorie count needs to be closer to 1300...Eat carbs...they are a part of life. The one thing you deny yourself is the thing you will crave, and if you don't deal with cravings...they will bite you...(pun intended). Try to eliminate the medication...it is always scary.

Good luck! You are da bomb...you are going to make it.
    gbert :)
  • kini324
    kini324 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    1300 should be good, as long as you add the exercise calories in, and eat that total. Eat quality calories to hit that number, just not anything to hit that number. Please keep me posted on how it goes!! I also blog about my journey http://www.fitfiercemama.blogspot.com

Good luck!!!
  • Vanilla30
    Options
    Congrats on the great work and deciding to live a more healthy lifestyle