About to weigh myself but...

Options
I just ate lunch because i weigh myself at the gym and if i workout i dont want to passout but should that add to my weight ? it wasnt a big lunch

Replies

• majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Yes, whatever you've eaten or drunk today (and yesterday) that hasn't yet filtered its way through your digestive system is going to show up on the scale. That's why a lot of people weigh themselves first thing in the morning after they go to the bathroom, to minimize the effect of the stuff that's in our systems temporarily.

But as long as you weigh yourself under similar conditions at the gym (like, always after lunch), you should be able to see progress. Just always remember that the scale is going to reflect the food, waste, and water that's in your system, and that these can vary a lot from day to day or even hour to hour. Some people prefer to track progress by measuring themselves instead of weighing so the perfectly normal fluctuations don't drive them crazy.
  • joslynlpribble
    Options
    I agree that you need to stay consistent with when you weigh yourself. If you are consuming a lot of water, you will notice that the end of the day (night) weight on the scale will be more than the first morning weight after going to the bathroom. It won't hurt to weigh yourself after the meal and just take note of how that differs. If it is more than you expected, don't record the weight as a gain but wait until the next day when you can weigh yourself in the typical fashion you do and document that one. You certainly do not want to discourage yourself by it appearing that you have gained weight when it was actually just that you were doing it at a different time than normal. Good luck!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Yes, it will affect it by the net weight of the food/drink you've consumed today...but as was said up there^, as long as you're consistent, the trend will still be meaningful...

...and honestly, there are so many variables at play in scale weight that not accounting for one of them won't be disastrous. I weigh myself every morning under the same conditions, and my scale weight frequently fluctuates by 2-3 pounds. I actually recommend that people weigh daily, at least for a month or so, to see this for themselves so they aren't as down about an unexpected blip.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Consistency is best. Ideally you would weigh at home, first thing in the morning after you use the bathroom.
  • FitGuyWillDoIt
    FitGuyWillDoIt Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    But as long as you weigh yourself under similar conditions at the gym (like, always after lunch), you should be able to see progress...
    Second that. It's just being scientific and consistent. For example if you weigh yourself before and after a workout you will weigh less after. This is especially true after running. So to measure your progress each week, do it the same time of day each time and you'll be able to properly track your progress.