Indian food choices

Options
Hi Everyone

Discovered MFP at beginning of year and have lost 23lbs so far which is awesome!

BF wants to take me out for an indian meal tonight but I want to make smart choices!!

Anyone recommend low fat but filling ideas? Usually I go with biriyani but it's so so calorific!!

Xx:smile:

Replies

• zahid222
    zahid222 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    look up indian food in the food options you'll get an idea
  • sphira
    sphira Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Stay away from chicken in a creamy sauce because it will be fattening. Tandoori chicken is best option as it is marinated in yogurt and spices and cooked in oven. If having Nann keep it to the whole wheat option and avoid the stuffed ones. You can always try a lentil dish (Dal) or vegetable dish (Chana masala) for a low calorie option. Have great dinner!

Congrats on the weight loss!
  • Crawflowr
    Crawflowr Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I usually go for the chicken chana masala, it's yummy. But another tip is to not be afraid to ask for a doggy bag, that way you can make the meal last two nights and not feel like you have to eat every scrap to get your moneys worth. The portion sizes are always way to large for one person.
  • CF4L
    CF4L Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Enjoy yourself every once and a while and eat whatever you want. One day does not derail the entire lifestyle change.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    As an Indian who loves to go out for indian food :P This is a fantastic topic

Indian food is actually relatively healthy - but if you are trying to keep the cals down, I would suggest tandoori chicken - its basically just grilled chicken with some good flavor on it, definitely healthy. If you want something with rice my personal favorite is chicken vindaloo - but the calories on that will vary based on the restaurant. You cant go wrong with tandoori chicken though

Have fun!
  • HaywireII
    Options
    If it's good chicken vindaloo it will go through you so fast you might lose weight! Especially if you're not good with spicy foods.

Most Indian restaurants you can start the meal with a salad although I'm not familiar with the dressings they use. I haven't hit an Indian restaurant since I started my MFP journey. It might be a good option for you. Everyone who brought up Tandoori chicken is probably giving you the best advice since there's no yogurt sauce there. I know there are some good veggie dishes without yogurt sauces but I usually am hitting a buffet so I don't know all the names.
  • prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Yeah, if you try to avoid lots of rice/naan (I still eat it, just limit my portion), maybe order something not with a creamy sauce, and get something that includes some veggies... I wouldn't worry too much. Make reasonable choices, but don't totally sacrifice your enjoyment for the sake of a couple calories. Good luck!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Tandori chicken
  • nagniho
    nagniho Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    As an Indian myself I always like to get tandoori chicken, Rajma ( kidney beans), Chole ( chickpea curry), tandoori naan ( if you want bread). As a condiment you can ask for Raita (Yogurt with seasoning).
  • TravelDog14
    TravelDog14 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    To start with, get some Katchumber (or Kachumber in some restaurants) salad.

Love that stuff and it's low fat, tasty and healthy.

Oh, and my trick with samosas is to crack it open and eat just the filling, which is mostly potatoes, peas, onions and spices. Leave the shell uneaten on your plate.
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Enjoy yourself every once and a while and eat whatever you want. One day does not derail the entire lifestyle change.
    I would say this, but agree that tandoori chicken is probably the safest option. And uber yummy too with raita on the side.
    But it takes a brave person to keep me from a chicken tikka masala with a plain paratha - that's all I'm saying ....
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I love Indian cuisine and often cook Indian at home for friends and family.

Unfortunately, most dishes at Indian restaurants I have been to are very calorific.
    Butter chicken does contain a lot of butter.
    You would be surprised to know how much butter is in Dhal Makhani.

On the other hand, Tandoori Chicken is essentially chicken roasted in a tandoor oven that's been marinated in yoghurt and a blend of spices.
    Saag paneer - one of my favourites is a spicy spinach paste with chunks of shallow-fried paneer (Indian cottage cheese).

If you are at all interested in cooking, and its not difficult, I recommend Madhur Jeffrey's "Asian Vegetarian Cooking".
    Have a lovely night!
    kind regards,

Ben
  • bimmer2331
    bimmer2331 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    As most have said tandoori chicken will be your best bet...or chicken sheesh kabab or chicken tikka....anything from the tandoor ( not the naans) should be healthy n filling...tandoori shrimps/ tandoori fish will be very filling n healthy too....
  • lalarox
    Options
    Tandori Chicken or Saag Paneer I imagine shouldn't be too bad . Just steer clear of naan and rice. But I definitely think you should just eat what you'd like (without over-doing it of course). It's ok to treat yourself every once in a while.
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I love mattar paneer, peas with the cheese chunks!! Not bad on cals either.
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options

You would be surprised to know how much butter is in Dhal Makhani.

LOL this made me giggle - "makhani" means butter in Hindi :). But if they have yellow daal that is healthy, and any of the dry sabzis (veggies) like gobi aloo etc. As people have said, Tandoori anything will be healthy, its just grilled. Most restaurants put butter on their naans and rotis before serving so ask them not to do that. Avoid creamy sauces like korma, but things like masala chicken or traditional chicken curry aren't bad - ask them to go light on the oil.

Indian food is mostly pretty healthy but of course restaurants overdo it on oil & cream, ask them to go light on it and you'll be fine, enjoy!