only 148lbs & pre-diabetic BUT GETTING HEALTHY!

Hi! I am also new to fitness pal. I am 5'4" and weigh 148 pounds at 41 years old, I am use to weighing in around 125 pounds but my honey began traveling more & more often (via his employment) and I found me eating out more & more with my 13 year old son & sitting more & more watching TV missing him... Suddenly about 3 weeks ago I realized that I felt fat & Sluggish, exhausted & from doing nothing but sitting & feeling fatigued. I went to our family doctor who sent me for bloodwork & he warned me that I am pre-diabetic type 2 (fasting blood glucose was 128) and that is a large part of the reason that I feel so tired. He says that studies have shown a healthy diet with exercise & weight loss can reverse diabetes type 2, so he suggested I lose a few pounds and get moving, a healthier lifestyle, exercise, eat healthy... I explained but I have no energy to get off the couch despite sleeping 8-9 hours a night, he put me on one pill a day "Adipex" (monitoring me weekly, blood pressure, etc...) and said it is NOT A MAGIC PILL rather a support to get me motivated to move & supress my appetite. I have since lost 2 pounds in a little over a week. I'm trying to eat more veggies & healthier meat choices (grilled skinless chicken, turkey, fish) and leave little debbie & burger king alone! I'm excited but have no idea about all the carb counting, "Atkins" or what's good & bad as their are so many opinions, I know I'm cutting out what I KNOW to be trash like potato chips, soda, fastfood, ice cream, etc... I am cutting my portions down & that is the MOST DIFFICULT PART for me, as I LOVE that STUFFED LIKE A PIG FEEL, I am happy eating TONS of food (even if it's healthy) as long as I get BIG PORTIONS, that is my challenge! I have always loved the stuffed, un-button your pants feel from LOTS of food, so I'm making a effort to push away when I know I am full, NOT stuffed! I'm excited & determined, I weigh more now than I did when I was 9 months pregnant 13 years ago weighing in @ 9 months pregnant at a whopping 141 pound, today 148... I will get back down to a healthy 120-128 range SOON! I just want to be able to make this something that I can continue for life, not a quick fix that leaves me just to balloon up again so PORTION SIZES are my monsters to battle! Good luck to us all!!!

Replies

• Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Just reducing your overall weight by 5-10% will drastically, drastically reduce your chance of developing diabetes.

This is an awesome step you def want to stop insulin resistance while you can! Feel free to add me
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Sounds like you are making the right first choices. I've been at this seven months now and have gone from prediabetic to normal, blood pressure 145/95 to 122/82, pulse rate from 92 to 64 and weight from 425 to 297. Anyone is welcome to add me my food diary is open to friends. I eat very little preprocessed food and fast food. I also incorporate lots of great choices using the principles in "The Amen Solution" "The Blood Sugar Solution" and "Eat to Live." I don't have all the answers but I have figured out somethings that work.
  • AutumnLeaf81
    AutumnLeaf81 Posts: 6 Member
    I have insulin resistance as well. I'm also changing my eating habits trying to prevent type 2 diabetes. I'm on Glumetza for min. I'm hoping to lose the weight and start lowering my dosage and maybe even come off of it eventually!