Good fitness/strength program that's easy on the knees?

Options
I am 42 and a former long-distance runner who now suffers mild to moderate knee pain. I am finishing up 30DS this weekend and have seen awesome results. Only problem is that the high-impact moves-- even the jumping jacks-- have put a strain on the knees. I plan to do Ripped in 30 next but I'm concerned about more knee strain.

I like following a trainer on a DVD and I also have easy access to a gym. Can anyone recommend a good DVD or other program that will further my strength and tone without blowing out my joints?

Thanks for any advice you have!

P.S. I started taking chondroitin glucosamine and MSM to help build up the soft tissue but I know that can take a month or more to show results. Other supplementation advice is welcome too! Thanks!

Replies

• notthatthis
    Options
    I am 42 and a former long-distance runner who now suffers mild to moderate knee pain. I am finishing up 30DS this weekend and have seen awesome results. Only problem is that the high-impact moves-- even the jumping jacks-- have put a strain on the knees. I plan to do Ripped in 30 next but I'm concerned about more knee strain.

I like following a trainer on a DVD and I also have easy access to a gym. Can anyone recommend a good DVD or other program that will further my strength and tone without blowing out my joints?

Thanks for any advice you have!

P.S. I started taking chondroitin glucosamine and MSM to help build up the soft tissue but I know that can take a month or more to show results. Other supplementation advice is welcome too! Thanks!

I would look into strength training for the legs rather than high impact. Many knee problems come from muscle weakness or muscle imbalance, I would look to do a self-assesment (or physio/professional) of the knee (there are many internet resources) and then work out a programme using squat and lunge variants and not forgetting calf isolations. As you know long distance running does no favours to the Type II muscle fibres so look into strength.
  • WhaddoWino
    WhaddoWino Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the sound advice!
  • notthatthis
    Options
    YVW and good luck sorting it out.
  • 1capegirl
    1capegirl Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am 52 and have had 2 knee replacements, so running was always out. Have you tried Kangoo Jumps? I recently purchased a pair and am still trying to build up my stamina as I am out of shape right now.

I am now able to run short distances with the Kangoos, and I alternate with walking. It feels great to be able to move again!

As for the Glucosamine and other products, I never got any relief from them, as well as Sinvisc injections :( Maybe you would have better results than I.

I have learned some helpful knee exercises from the physical therapists following surgery. I still do them just to keep my muscles strong in that area. I find if I don't I get stiff.

Good luck to you, I hope you find something that helps. It stinks not being able to move without being in pain.
  • jehavin
    jehavin Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Biking! 2 knee surgeries and 6 months pregnant, stationary biking is still a low-impact, high yield cardio option and I've found that it actually helps my knee with muscle memory/strengthening weak areas since it has such a complete and natural range of motion, versus the elliptical or running.
  • BigDave1050
    BigDave1050 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    If you want a good kettle bell workout that is free, check out livefitrevolution.org.

I love the program
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I too am a former runner with bad knees. I have found that strengthening my legs to better support my knees with weighted squats, lunges, etc. has been a real help. I still can't run any sort of distance without issues, but I can get though a plyometric workout without pain now.
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I've been doing 30DS with low impact adaptations, and not a full lunge of squat. When I get a little pain I back off.
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I think Jillian's rip has less impact on the knees than the 30 DS. I have only done the level one on the ripped, but liked it MUCH better.
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I have pretty bad knees so when I did 30ds and ri30 I had to wear braces on both knees. I'm currently doing Chalean Extreme which is 2 days cardio and 3 days heavy lifting. The cardio can be modified to have as much impact as you can take. This is my 2nd month into it I'm now feeling less pain in my knees. I still wear the braces for support during the workout but this is the best my knees have felt in years. I would agree with what was said above. Strength training for the legs really helps with the knees.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting (either ... For Women, or ... Supercharged) are great strength/fitness programs with minimal high impact activities. I have terrible knees (patellar malalignment and grade 4 chondromalacia) and finished the New Rules of Lifting for Women program without any knee pain at all. I'm now working on New Rules of Lifting Supercharged.

There is a great active group for New Rules of Lifting for Women -- check it out!
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    bump - mad knees here too.... would love any tips/advice for this :)
  • kdkyzer
    kdkyzer Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'm at level 2 of 30DS and also a former distance runner, also with knee issues in my right knee. I'm 53. When I started 30DS, the jumping jacks killed my knees, but as I got deeper into the squats and lunges, it appeared that my knees got stronger. And interestingly, my knee pain is essentially gone. No pain during jumping jacks, even. I've continued to run on the treadmill short distances (~3miles) after I do the 30DS workout. Honestly, I'm amazed. I guess the lunges and squats helped rather than hurt my knees? I don't know, but it was a welcome surprise! I'll move on to level 3 next week, and I've got the Ripped DVD so I'll follow up the Shred with that.
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    3 knee surgeries and avid soccer player here so I feels the pain! I can't help much with exercises because while I think they would help I never stop playing soccer long enough to actually do it.

As for other things that help though... if you are going to take a glucosamine supplement I strongly suggest a liquid version - I felt no improvement with pill form but definitely got positive results from the liquid (I've only tried a couple, but of the ones I've had the syn-flex was the best tasting).

As for treating the actual pain, there have been studies that show that using a typical pain killer gets more of the medication to the actual injury. I am always using Aspercreme to help when I've over done it and knees are hurting. Most of the "icy-hot' type of creams do not have a pain reliever in them, they just have something to make it warm up. You can find mostly generic brands that do both. Benefit of the aspergreme is there is no smell! Most of the ones that have pain reliever and menthol (or some other kind of heating ingredient) to smell. If the cream has a pain killer in it it will most likely have 'salicylate" or some kind of 'cylate' in it.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I did about 24 days of the 30DS and like you have problems with my knees and also my right hip. I used to find the jumping jacks and other similar things tough and never usually managed to do them all. I would have my weights handy and do more strength during the high cardio time.

I stopped early as I decided to start Stronglifts 5 x 5. I have never looked back. I worked hard on nailing the correct form and am amazed that it does not affect my knees, back or even my hip. Sometimes as the weights have increased I find that my form will go off on a rep and I feel it in my knees, but this makes me concentrate to get the form back and it's all OK again.

There are a few good strength training programmes, Stronglifts 5 x 5, Starting Strength and also New Rules of Lifting 4 Women. Have a look at them as they may work for you.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Rebounding ..... do high impact moves on a mini trampoline. Urban Rebounding sells DVDs for kickboxing, bootcamp, dance, etc.

Look up future DVDs at collagevideo.com ..... professional reviews tell you if the workout is high impact.