Strength training newbie

Options
I posted in success, but apparently that was the wrong place, so I'll start all over... since starting on MFP in August I've exceeded my weight loss goal, and now I want to focus on toning up, especially now that I'm training for a 10 mile run in April. I'm up to 8 miles, which is great, but I really want to start strength training to build up my endurance. Only thing is, I have absolutely no clue where to start. Right now, I run about 3-4 times a week. Most runs are 3 miles, but I do get in one long run on the weekend. Today was the first time in almost a decade that I dabbled with strength training at the gym, but I was totally overwhelmed. I had no idea how many reps I should do and whether I should focus on a certain part of my body each time I go, and how often I should do it. Any advice for a lifting newbie?

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Look into Strong Lifts or Starting Strength.

They are both simple programs that utilize compound lifting, which will work your entire body (rather than isolating certain areas). I do Strong Lifts and my running has improved since I've started doing strength training consistently. My lifting sessions usually last about 30 minutes and I do it 3 times a week.
  • paulkempjr
    paulkempjr Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    A recommended program for beginners who are concerned with general fitness is one or two light warm-up sets per exercise, using about 50% of your one rep maximum, followed by one to four sets per exercise. I suggest building up gradually to three sets of maximal repetitions (one set at a lighter weight the first day, two at a higher weight the next, etc..). I would also start with "the big five lifts" which are Squats, Deadlifts, Flat Bench Press, Overhead Press and Rows. Most of all have fun and be safe man!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

They are both simple programs that utilize compound lifting, which will work your entire body (rather than isolating certain areas). I do Strong Lifts and my running has improved since I've started doing strength training consistently. My lifting sessions usually last about 30 minutes and I do it 3 times a week.
    Another vote for Stronglifts here.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    When first started, I just lifted what I could, and did as many reps as I was able to do. For toning, do lower weights, high reps. For muscle building, higher weights, lower reps. Good luck, and props to you!!! :happy:
  • ninehours
    ninehours Posts: 41 Member
    Options
  • Glowbee
    Glowbee Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    The Hal Higdon distance training programs are free, and he helps you determine how to build up endurance for long runs. I recommend them. Good luck!
  • staryful7
    staryful7 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I use an app called Jefit. It lets you create a strength training work out or will credit one for you. I love it.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options

^ This = Winning!!!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    When first started, I just lifted what I could, and did as many reps as I was able to do. For toning, do lower weights, high reps. For muscle building, higher weights, lower reps. Good luck, and props to you!!! :happy:

That's not how it works, actually.

Here's a good explanation of strength training:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/850719-strength-training-the-basics
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

Excellent suggestion. I :heart: Stronglifts!
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

I really like this program for a beginner also.

Here is another resource that has it all written out and answers questions you might have.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=148036063
  • Bxgell2
    Options
    Excellent, thank you everyone!
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options

That's not how it works, actually.

Here's a good explanation of strength training:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/850719-strength-training-the-basics

Ok, I'm curious. What exactly about what I posted was wrong? I'm curious, because that link basically says the same thing, from what I gathered. Also, what I've been doing has worked very well for me. I'm not shooting for body builder here, but I do like my muscles.