Weigh In

Options
How often do you weigh in? I have always heard its best to only weigh in once a week but I like to weigh in every morning. I am not one to get discouraged due to no change or even a pound increase as long as the over all is lower.

What do you suggest?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I weigh pretty much every day, but only log it on Fridays.
  • janiesmommy
    Options
    Thats a good idea! Thank you!
  • pamwhite712
    pamwhite712 Posts: 193 Member
    Options

Same here. Except this week I got excited Thursday morning and logged it yesterday. :laugh:
  • WFBspantran
    WFBspantran Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    If you are okay with daily changes then go ahead and weigh as often as you want. Generally if you weigh yourself once a week on the same day each week at the same time (when you get up) you will have the best judge of what your "true" weight is. That said, if the night before you go to a party and eat a lot of have some drinks realize that will show up on the scale where two days later after you are back on your diet it would not. Some people live and die by the scale, others only use it as a guide. It sounds like you don't. The further along you go and more weigh just realize you may be going days before noticing a change on the scale. Don't let that get you down! The mirror is always the best judge of how you are doing along with how your clothes feel/fit.
  • srpm
    srpm Posts: 275 Member
    Options

Same here. Except this week I got excited Thursday morning and logged it yesterday. :laugh:

Same here, but I do sometimes update for losses in the middle of the week. I log on Fridays whether I gain or lose though.
  • determined_erin
    determined_erin Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I check the scale almost daily, but I officially count the loss once a week. I call it Weigh-In Wednesday.
  • keepsakesbyconny
    keepsakesbyconny Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I only weigh about every two weeks... cause I get VERY discouraged easily! :happy: :smile: But I do take my measurements weekly... Inches come off quicker than the lbs...so I'm happier that way
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning but log only once a week.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    My official weigh in that I log is Friday AM. I weigh myself daily though so that I can plot the data to a graph. If you do daily, just don't get freaked out by the fluctuations...the fluctuations are why many people don't like to do it daily...they can't handle it nor do they understand what those fluctuations represent. They think they somehow gained a pound or two overnight and lose their ****...when in reality, it's just water retention/release...timing of food in/out...liquid in/out, etc. Here's an example of this past week since last Friday:

187.4 (last friday officially logged weigh in
    188 (monday)
    187.7 (Tues)
    188.5 (Wed)
    188.2 (Thurs)
    185.6 (Today, officially logged weigh in

For whatever reason, I'm almost always lightest on Fridays...sometimes Thursdays. I have no idea why, but I chalk it up to I eat a bit cleaner during the week and I get a lot more sodium and junk on the weekends so I spend the earlier part of the week trying to get rid of water.
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have been weighing in every day and if it's lower than what MFP has in the system I log it. That's been working pretty well. After seeing a few threads like this one I decided to not weigh in for a week. Tomorrow is weigh in day so I'll see how it worked for me. Anticapation is getting to me though; I think I'll probably go back to every day.
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options

I do this! except only log on wednesdays!
  • janiesmommy
    Options
    Thank you for showing your fluctuation! My fluctuation definitely does not bother me. I will continue to weigh everyday just for me and log once or twice a week depending on how I feel ;)

Thank you all for being so helpful!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday. I think it's a great way to learn about fluctuations and be less discouraged by them.
  • jsrussell2127
    jsrussell2127 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I think this is true for me, too. I do better during the week, so my lowest tends to be Thursday or Friday. My official weigh-in day is Thursday; however, yesterday when I got up I could tell I had some water retention. So, for the week it appeared that I actually gained 0.2lbs. After I worked out yesterday though it looked like I lost 2.2 for the week. (Crazy, I know.) This morning I decided to weigh again because I did better with my water intake yesterday, I exercised, etc. This morning I was 1.2lbs lower than yesterday am and 1lb lower for the week.

The closer I look at my patterns, it appears that my sodium intake makes quite a bit of difference in my water retention, as well as my water intake!
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    So the scale said the same thing today that it did last Sunday morning. I'm going back to just weighing every day. I don't know if I was less hydrated last weekend than I am this morning and can't really guess. I have decided I prefer to see the daily fluctuations that will give me a general idea over time that I'm heading in the right direction.
  • TrishLG
    TrishLG Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every day and log every day. I got fat in the first place by lying to myself, like, "This little bit won't make much difference." So now when it fluctuates upward, I can look back and face the facts. But I am no success story, so do what feels best for yourself.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Like many others, i weigh daily but only log once a week. Daily weighing, even with a stay the same or a gain, keeps me focused.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I weigh in everyday and only record when I get lower than a previously recorded weight. It helps me to see the overall downward trend. I don't weigh in once a week because if that one day I'm retaining water or my weight is just a little higher for whatever reason it would be discouraging. I'd rather deal with the fluctuations daily and be able to look at the trend on MFP. If I know I'm doing the right thing (as far as diet and exercise) I don't worry about it, if I'm not, I know to try a little harder.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I weigh in everyday and only record when I get lower than a previously recorded weight. It helps me to see the overall downward trend. I don't weigh in once a week because if that one day I'm retaining water or my weight is just a little higher for whatever reason it would be discouraging. I'd rather deal with the fluctuations daily and be able to look at the trend on MFP. If I know I'm doing the right thing (as far as diet and exercise) I don't worry about it, if I'm not, I know to try a little harder.

thats actually a great idea!! I might steal that, it will solve my whole "but i was 1lb lighter yesterday and this isnt fair" speed bump...
  • magiejbailey
    Options
    I weigh every day at the start, and have done so for three years now (unless I am away on holiday when I let up a bit but get back to being good when I return)