What to have when you work as a waitress....

Options
I work as a waitress so find myself doing a lot of late shifts. I struggle to find something to eat when I don't have time. Help? Xx

Replies

• smb0506
    Options
    I bring carrots to work. It's easy to hide in the walk-in and munch on a few through the shift. They have few calories and fill you up more than other snacks. Drink a bunch of soda water or unsweetened iced tea. I also found that if I eat a 100 calorie popcorn right before I go into work, it helps keep me feel more full and not wanting to munch on bread. Cheers!

Also, I've started skipping my "shift drink", I don't need those calories late at night. It just makes me want another beer!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I buy split chicken breasts in bulk when on sale - about $1.00/lb. Then I put them in gallon freezer bags with a variety of marinades and refrigerate them for a day or two. Then I baked them (4-5) at time @ 325 degrees for about 2 hrs, in a shallow 13x9 baking pan, lightly covered with aluminum foil. I may spend my day off baking/broiling 15-20 chicken breasts.

Then I de-skin and de-bone the breasts, and freeze the pieces. The frozen breasts can be taken out 1 or 2 at a time, on salads, chopped up for chicken salad sandwiches, or as an entree w/ rice pilaf and steamed veggies.

I always have chicken on hand for a variety of quick, healthy meals.
  • karentcampbell
    karentcampbell Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I used to work night shifts and split shifts, not as a waitress mind you. So I imagine the temptation to eat is higher. I found if I treated the 8 hours like a 9-5pm shift, then I could do it. I would bring a "Lunch" and two Snacks and Drank water. It was hard at first, but it worked. Veggies and fruit don''t need a cold place to hang out or PBJ sandwiches if you don't have access to a Fridge. Creativity is helpful. Good luck