Advice on my workout routine please!

Options
I have recently joined a gym in order to get more running in the dry/warm, and previously I had been doing c25k and JM ripped in 30 at home. Ideally, i wanted to emulate this combination of cardio and circuits and add in a bit of weights.

My routine at the moment:

- 10 mins row machine on 9/10 setting to warm up

- Weight machines (heaviest I can do up to 12 reps):
- leg press 4 x 12 reps
- Leg curls 4 x 12 reps
- ab curl 4 x 12 reps
- chest press 4 x 12 reps

- Run for 20 mins total (c25k intervals)

My boredom tolerance at the gym maxes out at about 45 minutes/1 hr, and it takes me a while to get home from the gym so I don't want to spend hours and hours there.

Does anybody have any suggestions of weights machines to add for a more rounded/efficient workout? My goal is to burn fat and tone up a bit.

I feel a bit clueless so any help is appreciated :smile:

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Ditch the machines. Use the free weights and do squats, bench, deadlifts, overhead press and bent over rows. 2-3 sets of 8-12 at a weight that is challenging. If you want more abs, add in some planks, but your abs are pretty engaged in all of those exercises.
  • millyvanilli321
    millyvanilli321 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    thanks for the reply! :smile:

I don't want to sound like a wimp here, but in my gym it's hard enough to concentrate on my own workout in the weights room when I'm the only woman in there and getting stared down by men! The free weights room is always really full, and I have never once seen a woman in there. I know I'm letting down my feminist side here, but free weights are a far away dream in my gym :(

I've tried emulating squats with the leg press? I'm guessing it's not quite the same though...
  • millyvanilli321
    Options
    Bump
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Don't let the men scare you off. Most are thrre for their own agenda and don't care. Others will be glad to see you there:). My guess, guys aren't flocking for the lower weights. Go in grab some 10-20 lbs and start working out. You can increase weight from there. You will not even notice the guys after you do it a few times.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Ditch the machines. Use the free weights and do squats, bench, deadlifts, overhead press and bent over rows. 2-3 sets of 8-12 at a weight that is challenging. If you want more abs, add in some planks, but your abs are pretty engaged in all of those exercises.

I agree with this, but I don't think it is a good idea to train for a 5k and do intense weight training at the same time. Do barbell training with supplemental easy cardio or train for a race with body weight resistance training or light dumbbell exercises. Or do general fitness training on alternate days. In short, be sure you don't overtrain. If you are seriously going from no running to a 5k, that's training for a sport and you really shouldn't do too much else.
  • swishandflick
    Options
    I don't like to work out when I feel people are staring either.

Short of going to a woman's only gym, maybe you can take the lighter freeweights and work out in an unused yoga room or something at the gym? Or just do your weight training at home and cardio at the gym?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Pretty much this ^^^ I do pretty much this 3x weekly and it takes me about 30 minutes tops...and that's if I have to wait for the squat rack or something.

Also, check out New Rules of Lifting For Women. My wife is loving it.
  • millyvanilli321
    Options
    I completed couch to 5k in the summer, so my cardio is more keeping up with it. I go back a few stages and try and get quicker. Moving on soon to the bridge to 10k as I've signed up for a charity race in May! eek!

Looks like braving the free weights room is the way forward. Thanks for the replies guys :)
  • millyvanilli321
    Options

Pretty much this ^^^ I do pretty much this 3x weekly and it takes me about 30 minutes tops...and that's if I have to wait for the squat rack or something.

I've heard a bit about the New Rules of Lifting - does it give you specific workouts with weights/sets/reps to do? where can I find the programme?
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options

I've heard a bit about the New Rules of Lifting - does it give you specific workouts with weights/sets/reps to do? where can I find the programme?

Yep. I am doing it right now and really like it. There are programs and explanations of each move. Oh yeah, It is a book:).