How to take measurements properly?

Options
Anyone have any advice on how to take measurements properly? Because I took mine about a month ago when I started MFP, which meant reducing my calories and upping my exercise (30DS). The scale number is going down and the body fat percentage is going down. I think my clothes are starting to fit a bit more loosely too. But when I pulled out the tape measure, none of my measurements had changed, other than my waist which had gone up 2 inches! Now I KNOW it hasn't actually gone up, as the waistbands on a few of my trousers are definitely looser. What it must be is I did a lousy job measuring myself either this time or last or both.

Does someone have some guidelines I could follow to help me measure myself consistently? And yes, I can rope in help to measure for me if that works better, but I'd still like to know how.

Replies

• Showmm
    Showmm Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Bueller?
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Always remember to measure in the same place every time

This is how I do mine
    Bust: Right across the nips
    Waist: smallest area of the torso
    Hips: widest part
    Arms: any area of the bicep
    Thigh: Middle half of the thigh
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,022 Member
    Options
    Bust - at the fullest part of the breast

Waist - at the smallest point (usually just above the belly button)

Hips - at the fullest point of the buttocks.

Take a picture with the tape measure, to refer back to the exact spot you used.
  • buda12345
    buda12345 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Your stomach is tough because you can manipulate it, sometimes without even knowing it.
  • Showmm
    Options
    Your stomach is tough because you can manipulate it, sometimes without even knowing it.

Yes, that's what I'm thinking happened. The first time I did it I may have been unconsciously pulling it in tight so I didn't shock myself with what it really was. That's the sort of thing I'm looking for tips about. I know to measure in the same place (the idea of taking a picture of where I measure is a good one), but should I pull the tape measure quite snug or just enough to touch all the way round, pull my muscles tight to measure or keep them relaxed etc etc?
  • rachelbethany
    rachelbethany Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I've always heard to pull the tape measure snug, but still loose enough that you can easily wiggle a finger under it. And always measure at the biggest part. Also, make sure you measure at the same time of day, preferably in the morning before eating. Your stomach can bloat from meals/water and really change that waist measurement quite a bit during the day.
  • chunkmunk
    chunkmunk Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Bueller?

I don't have an answer for you, but props for this.
  • AliciaC81
    AliciaC81 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I pull mine tight enough that it's snug but not so tight that it's indenting into the skin...if that makes sense. If it's pushing into the skin then I know it's too tight, and if there is space under it then it's too loose.
  • RingSize8
    RingSize8 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Frye?
  • Queen_Adrock
    Queen_Adrock Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I've always heard to pull the tape measure snug, but still loose enough that you can easily wiggle a finger under it. And always measure at the biggest part. Also, make sure you measure at the same time of day, preferably in the morning before eating. Your stomach can bloat from meals/water and really change that waist measurement quite a bit during the day.

Thank you!! I had the same question, because sometimes I think I pull it too tight, too. Good to have a frame of reference.
  • Showmm
    Options
    Thanks for the tips so far. Please feel free to add more if you have some.

And big top-of-the-float wave to all the other Ferris fans.
  • buda12345
    buda12345 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I take 3 measurements 1. relaxed 2. stomach pushed out 3. stomach sucked in
    the second and third tell you a lot about your progress.
  • jricht001
    Options
    Personally- for my arms I measure the BIGGEST part of my arm (that pesky flappy arm!!)

I measure my waist at the smallest part of it, my hips at the largest part of my hips, and for my thighs, again, the largest part of my thighs. I do this so that I KNOW which part I'm doing everytime!
  • Showmm
    Options
    When you measure your arms do you measure them relaxed by your side or do you measure the biggest part when making your bicep pop ala buda12345's pic?
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I do my widest point of every part except my waist I do the smallest point at it . It changes slowly... I trust measurements much more than I do the scale though
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I take multiple measurements

Upper Arm ( biggest part, relaxed but held out to the side)
    Chest (Biggest part, right around the boobs)
    Waist (Smallest part of torso)
    Abdomen (Right around belly button, stomach relaxed)
    Hips (Widest part)
    Thighs (biggest part)
    Calf (biggest part)
  • Showmm
    Options
    I feel like marking two lines, spaced the width of my measuring tape onto each body part. Do it with henna so it's semi-permanent and I can find the line next time and know I'm measuring in the same place.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,022 Member
    Options
    I feel like marking two lines, spaced the width of my measuring tape onto each body part. Do it with henna so it's semi-permanent and I can find the line next time and know I'm measuring in the same place.

Take a picture of the spots you used and tape it to your mirror.
  • Swedgen
    Options
    What do you actually use to measure with? The only thing I could find for my initial measurments was the huge tape measure I have in the garage, and it was clunky and difficult to work with.
  • ricklperry
    Options
    Bueller?
    Lol