Very gross but...

Options
does anybody else produce very thick saliva while running? I drink TONS of water but I end up with super thick, stringy saliva coating my mouth after running. It's very annoying. Should I drink water while running? I tend not to because I feel like it slows me down. Sorry if this grosses you out but seriously.

Replies

• KarenJean91
    KarenJean91 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I would like to know the answer to this too... i practically choke on it..:sick:
  • CLTRocks
    Options
    I don't run, but I roomed with a girl who ran cross country and yes, she mentioned that being an issue.
  • SilverLotusGirl
    SilverLotusGirl Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I don't run really but during intense cardio this happens to me too
  • Minerva624
    Minerva624 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Well I'm glad I'm not the only one. I guess it's just a result of intense cardio.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Chew gum! Don't know why it works, just does.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    For me, chewing minty gum helps. My mouth feels gross if I forget to have a piece before setting out. But for me it's not just saliva, but sometimes dry mouth accompanied by icky taste.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Distance runners (i.e. marathon runners) usually take water for hydration. If you saliva is thick like this, it is likely a sign of dehydration and some type of additional hydration is in order. Also, there is something coaches and band directors often insist on prior to hoy summer practices and that is PRE-hydration. This is drinking significant amounts of water PRIOR to the activity. Once you get thirsty, dehydration is already present.
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    For me, chewing minty gum helps. My mouth feels gross if I forget to have a piece before setting out. But for me it's not just saliva, but sometimes dry mouth accompanied by icky taste.

Are you scared of choking?
  • Minerva624
    Options
    Distance runners (i.e. marathon runners) usually take water for hydration. If you saliva is thick like this, it is likely a sign of dehydration and some type of additional hydration is in order. Also, there is something coaches and band directors often insist on prior to hoy summer practices and that is PRE-hydration. This is drinking significant amounts of water PRIOR to the activity. Once you get thirsty, dehydration is already present.

I do hydrate before running and I'm not even thirsty when I'm done.
  • maluso61
    Options
    What's wrong with thick saliva?
  • felcandy
    felcandy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    my nose runs, but i think thats just allergies.
  • fatalis_vox
    fatalis_vox Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I hydrate like a boss all day, but when I run, I get the same thing. I think the issue is that the extra air passing through the nose and mouth doesn't necessary dehydrate -you,- but it does thicken your saliva by removing greater amounts of water from it.

The reason chewing gum helps is because it stimulates saliva production, since flavor and the act of chewing sort of trick the mouth into thinking that you're eating. (Saliva's purpose is to help break down the food while you chew, as well as creating enough mosture and lubrication for you to swallow.)

So. It's gross. But it's normal. Drink more water if you think you should, and try to chew gum while you run.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Yeah, spit it out
  • Minerva624
    Options
    I hydrate like a boss all day, but when I run, I get the same thing. I think the issue is that the extra air passing through the nose and mouth doesn't necessary dehydrate -you,- but it does thicken your saliva by removing greater amounts of water from it.

The reason chewing gum helps is because it stimulates saliva production, since flavor and the act of chewing sort of trick the mouth into thinking that you're eating. (Saliva's purpose is to help break down the food while you chew, as well as creating enough mosture and lubrication for you to swallow.)

So. It's gross. But it's normal. Drink more water if you think you should, and try to chew gum while you run.

Thanks. I'll start chewing gum. :)
  • Sincere24
    Sincere24 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Occassionally, depends on the intensity of the run, I sometimes choke trying to get my throat to clear lool.

But more often then notI totally forget until I have to rinse out my mouth once I wash my face after a long run. But I've gotten used to it and make sure to drink before and after a run, hate sipping on water during...total distraction lol
  • Deedsie
    Deedsie Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    It happens to me in the summer. Chewing gum helps but be careful, I bit my tongue really hard one time. You could always spit if you are outside. Not highly attractive but comfort needs consideration too.
  • LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Like a few others stated, gum always helps me too. I never leave for a run without it. I chew Extra Spearmint. I have tried several different kinds, and found that the fruity gum makes it worse!
  • Heads90
    Heads90 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Spitting. It's not very lady like but it solves the problem.
  • torie079
    torie079 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    My thick snot runs down the back of my throat and I gag it back out my mouth whilst running...it's terrible. Nothing helps me but spitting it all out.
  • Joyjmb
    Joyjmb Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    8 oz of very warm (but tolerable) water
    2 tsp of salt

GARGLE!

Opera singers have done this for years to help with drainage.
    Good luck!