Wondering about the calories in some of their foods?

Options
I just looked at a cup of basmati rice on here, it was listed as 350 calories. That seems... kinda high. I'm not a dietician but a few other sources I googled had it between 210 and 285. I heard that some of the myfitnesspal counts are a bit inflated, is that true? Or are people finding this pretty accurate?

Replies

• mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    there is probably more than one listing for basmati..i usually do some of my own research..and select the one that seems the most accurate..
  • newjourney2015
    newjourney2015 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    If you have the package you can compare it to what is in the database. If its not correct, you can correct it in the database. Yes there are some discrepencies in the database. Not sure how it happens but it is just human error I guess. I always check items against labels but once its in your list of foods the info will be correct.
  • Suewags
    Suewags Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    A lot of what's listed in the database was entered by others. They might have a different version of the rice, or might not have read the label quite right. I usually look at various entries and make a decision based on which seems to match the most. Or else I go with whichever one has the most confirmations by others.
  • raspberryblonde
    Options
    Remember that a huuuuuuge amount of the foods in the database are entered by users rather than by anyone in an official capactity. One thing I have noticed when using the app is that you can't see whether or not the listing has been confirmed by other users, whereas on the website you can. When I'm entering foods for which I have no packaging, I look for the listings that have the most confirmations, factoring in my other research, of course. As well, someone may have entered in a personal food for "Basmati Rice" based on their own method of preparing it, which may have involved butter.
  • newjourney2015
    newjourney2015 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Remember that a huuuuuuge amount of the foods in the database are entered by users rather than by anyone in an official capactity. One thing I have noticed when using the app is that you can't see whether or not the listing has been confirmed by other users, whereas on the website you can. When I'm entering foods for which I have no packaging, I look for the listings that have the most confirmations, factoring in my other research, of course. As well, someone may have entered in a personal food for "Basmati Rice" based on their own method of preparing it, which may have involved butter.

^^^^This is true. You might consider entering your food raw or dry before cooking and then add the butter, olive oil, etc. that was used for preparation.
  • DivaLuvsDisney
    DivaLuvsDisney Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I find that the entries in the database are wrong more than they are right. Today I was looking up Kikkoman low sodium soy sauce and someone had entered 20mg of sodium per Tbsp. Maybe in their dreams LOL!!! Sometimes I correct them.
  • veggieluver2
    veggieluver2 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Not to offend any MFP peeps, but I use another website for logging my food. It seems to be more accurate. Plus, it auto populates what I start typing, because I log certain foods frequently. More user-friendly imo.
  • becky6m
    becky6m Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS scan the bar code with my app on my phone, 9 times out of 10 it is correct.
  • FoundProdigal
    FoundProdigal Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS scan the bar code with my app on my phone, 9 times out of 10 it is correct.

how do you scan the bar code? I can't find that option on either my phone (blackberry) or on my tablet (android). Guessing it might be an option specific to iPhone?
  • sbjmorgan
    sbjmorgan Posts: 158 Member
    Options

how do you scan the bar code? I can't find that option on either my phone (blackberry) or on my tablet (android). Guessing it might be an option specific to iPhone?

on Android it's next to the search bar when you go to look up a food in the diary, it's to the right
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    The first time I input something I grab the box or can or whatever and see if there is one that has the correct info. If not then I input it myself to be safe.
  • FoundProdigal
    FoundProdigal Posts: 32 Member
    Options

on Android it's next to the search bar when you go to look up a food in the diary, it's to the right

Thanks, I'll try that :) Still kinda figuring this all out.