Calories, exercise, eating

Options
Just wondering does people eat the calories they burn exercising? Should I be?

Replies

• soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    use the search function in the forums; this will show you lots and lots of answers to this question. Perhaps the most concise answer: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6556-the-answers-to-the-questions
  • Seaduck79
    Seaduck79 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Just wondering does people eat the calories they burn exercising? Should I be?

I do. It is the main reason I work out, so that I can eat pretty much as I like, and still lose weight. As long as you burn off more than you take in, the pounds should come off.
  • vickiecarr78
    Options
    I don't add the exercise on here just because it adds calories back in. I'm afraid I'll just add back what I burned.
  • eyeshuh
    eyeshuh Posts: 333
    Options
    I don't add the exercise on here just because it adds calories back in. I'm afraid I'll just add back what I burned.

It adds the calories back because you SHOULD be eating them. MyFitnessPal builds in a deficit and assumes you're doing absolutely no exercise. If you exercise and don't log it, you could be under eating, which will stall your weight loss.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    My opnion is to figure out your daily caloric intake and base your eating on that. If you exercise it's all that much more calories lost. However, if you're feeling hungry or lack of energy, take in the burned of calories and see how that goes. The good news is, either way you aer still in line to lose the weight based on your caloric intake.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing...MFP gives you a calorie goal based on how much weight you want to lose...this goal has a caloric deficit built into it...a very substantial deficit if you're doing the 1,200 calorie thing. MFP expects you to eat your exercise burn...that is why when you log exercise, your caloric goal goes up. It is a goal...a goal is something to be achieved...if you don't eat back your exercise goal, you are undershooting your goal...you are an underachiever. Start achieving your goals.

This isn't opinion...this is how MFP is set up. This is all explained in the directions for how to use this tool...those little stickies. Underachieving will ultimately lead to failure because your body will stall metabolism...and that'll actually be the least of your concerns if you underachieve for too long.
  • Sul3i
    Sul3i Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I usually never ate back my exercise cals.. I'm 5'9" and ate about 1500 cals on average give or take a couple 100 cals... but rarely ate back exercise cals n it still worked for me!