Things you've learned along the way

Options
I thought a thread like this might help people who are just starting out and don't have a lot of knowledge on weight loss.

#1 for me was that I can't freak out about weight fluctuations. The numbers will jump around and are not always a reflection of the effort I'm putting into my weight loss. So many times I worked so hard and didn't lose the expected 2 lbs in a week. I'd throw my hands up and say, "See! I can't lose weight!" And then I'd use that as an excuse to hog down. It wasn't until I gave it two or three weeks of consistent work that I'd see a downward trend and that gave me the motivation to stick with it.

Also, I'm one of those people that sees a pretty quick drop in inches but the numbers are agonizingly slow. So I had to learn to pay more attention to inches and how my clothes feel and just view my weight as a part of the equation.

Replies

• MelisaBegins
    MelisaBegins Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I feel exactly the same way. As I get older, every pound I lose is so hard fought and slooooow going, but it is so worth it. I started this get-fit/healthy journey in Sept 2012 at 171 and am now at 158 (135 goal). The most helpful things I've learned along the way:

- PLAN, PLAN, PLAN!! I do this with food AND exercise. I try to fill out my MFP food diary the night BEFORE so that I know exactly what I'm going to eat the next day. It helps that I usually eat the same thing every day. :)

- I hate exercising. There, I said it. But I have come to view it as a "necessary evil" and will admit that I (ahem) feel a ton better when I get done. My biggest tip here is to do it FIRST THING in the day so that you can't make excuses for the rest of the day and end up not doing it! I know this is not feasible for some people - I am only speaking for myself here. I work full-time, volunteer every week, have a young child - I know that if I don't MAKE the time, it will never happen.
  • Davina_JH
    Davina_JH Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I was going to start a thread like this too.

I would like to know...what's the BEST piece of advice those of you who have found success can give those of us just starting out?

What I have learned: I've been at it for two months so far. I can say (and this is true with anything in life) STAY POSITIVE. We all have our off days. No negative self talk or self-defeating statements. Encourage yourself, be kind to yourself.

:heart:
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options

- I hate exercising. There, I said it. But I have come to view it as a "necessary evil" and will admit that I (ahem) feel a ton better when I get done. My biggest tip here is to do it FIRST THING in the day so that you can't make excuses for the rest of the day and end up not doing it! I know this is not feasible for some people - I am only speaking for myself here. I work full-time, volunteer every week, have a young child - I know that if I don't MAKE the time, it will never happen.

Funny because I'm just the opposite. I love working out! But I can't right now. I'm recovering from surgery and can't do the kind of workouts that I want to do. I'm limited to walking. So I'm forced to be extra careful with my diet, which I hate. I'd much rather work out for an hour until I'm dripping sweat so I can eat more. Nothing about this is easy though, right? It's never the way we want it to be.
  • kmelissa02
    Options
    bump..will have to come back to this thread tonight
  • cjh022
    cjh022 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    The #1 thing I have learned is don't be afraid to EAT! We don't all have to live on 1200 calories per day nor do we have to stop eating the foods we love in order to lose weight! Moderation is KEY :bigsmile:
  • Dahllywood
    Dahllywood Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Weigh your food. Some people don't realize how much they are really eating. An apple on here, for example, is 80 cal...but the one I weighed the other day equals out to about 120 cal.
  • Tootce01
    Tootce01 Posts: 184
    Options
    Bump! Need motivation & encouragement!
  • Davina_JH
    Davina_JH Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    The #1 thing I have learned is don't be afraid to EAT! We don't all have to live on 1200 calories per day nor do we have to stop eating the foods we love in order to lose weight! Moderation is KEY :bigsmile:
    ^This too^
    :)
  • AmyMK
    AmyMK Posts: 164
    Options
    The big 3 I've learned:

1-Be patient...you aren't going to lose weight like you're on the Biggest Loser!

2-Take measurements. Sure the scale may have moved half a pound in a month, but you could still be losing inches. And what really matters, the inches or the pounds?

3-Everyone will eventually experience a plateau - you just have to keep motivated through it. I focus on the fact that I'm living a healthy lifestyle, and my choices will be better for me in the long run.

It's took me about a year to realize these things, but now that I'm no longer focused on the fact that I've had a "bad week", or I'm not losing weight fast enough, I remember that I'm miles from where I was when I started 18 months ago!
  • JenRunTriHappyGirl
    JenRunTriHappyGirl Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    1 thing I have learned - the best way to loose weight and change your life is eating right and excerise. See.... my doctor went to school for 100 years and when he tells me that and I do not believe him... "there has to be an easier way." Well, if you really want to loose weight and keep it off, eat right and exercise. (I am not downing anyone with the next segment, it is my personal belief) There are all kinds of diet pills, shakes, plans, etc out there that you can use and yes you WILL loose weight. But, what happens when you stop using the shakes, pills, etc because you reach your desired weight? Have you learned how to eat healthy and exercise in order to maintain? Most likely, no. You have to retrain your body to want to eat healthy. If I do not have green stuff at lunch, my body craves it for dinner.... whether it be a salad, broccolli, etc. I TAUGHT MY BODY THIS. No shake, pill, meal plan. ME AND ONLY ME.
  • juliec33
    juliec33 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    It helped me to set fitness goals that weren't related to weight. That way, when the scale wasn't moving I was still able to see the progress I was making and feel proud for the positive changes I was making. Show up to every scheduled class for a month, run around the block, run 3 miles, do 10 full body push-ups, make it through a Zumba class - heck, whatever you want. It doesn't matter how small the goal is or how big it is. Make it something you know you can accomplish with a little dedication and work.
  • kmillers
    kmillers Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    The number one thing I learned is...just do it. Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels and "Wow, I regret that" said no one after a work out EVER.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Food
    Eat everything, regret nothing and hit the protein.

Exercise
    Build it into the day and don't make it 'a thing' I HAVE to do otherwise I'll turn into lard with legs.
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    Great thread idea - I know when I first joined I was completely overwhelmed with all the information and opinions and knowledge that was available. I agree completely with those who've already said dont rely just on the scale, it's just one of many tools, not the be all and end all. and with those who said don't be afraid to eat - it takes some juggling to find the right amount of calories that works for you, no matter what MFP or other sites might say - use them as a guide but play with the numbers til you find your place.

Run the reports on your diary every few months - you may find areas you didn't realize were high/low (like sodium for instance) and the more knowledge you gain and weight you lose, the more tweaking of macros and calories might be needed along the way.

Ask questions then do your own research. Theres a wealth of information here and loads of well informed, knowledge people who are quite willing to share it; but don't believe everything you read - check the profiles of people who offer opinions and information, and decide for yourself if what they say is sensible and something you agree with - then research the info yourself before deciding its right or wrong for you. Knowledge is power - give yourself time to start really learning about nutrition and fitness, and dont worry if you get a few posting saying "this topic again?" sort of thing.... we all did it when we started, and 90% of the MFP people will be happy to help out, no matter how many times they may have heard the question before themselves. Or direct you on how to find the answer on another post. But Ask. and ask again.

Pick good friends - ones who have similar goals or determination, and who will encourage and support you when the going gets tough. Because it will get tough. Whether its discovering emotional eating triggers, or having a bad day, or hitting a plateau...good friends on MFP will keep you sane during the bad times, and will be your biggest fans in your success with you as you go. And give back everything you get from them. MFPs will be your best friends down the road, and completely understand where you're coming from most times, because we've all been there.

And log.
    Every single day.
    Every single food.

Just my 2 cents worth!

:bigsmile:
  • sweetsarahv
    sweetsarahv Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    it's a JOURNEY!!!!! be patient :smile:
  • reese307
    reese307 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    its a LIFESTYLE change. I never wan to go back to where I came from. Find foods you like that are healthy..there are more thisgs to eat then salad lol and stay focused!!!!