Fat burners/supplements

Options
Hi,
I'm thinking of using a fat burner supplement. I'm mainly doing running, skating and hula hooping but want to assist my training. Has anyone used anything before? Has anyone got tips or suggestions?

I've been looking at the JST Jodie stuff by Jodie Marsh cos it's vegan (and erm, I'm vegan!)

Help!

Replies

• acpaton92
    acpaton92 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I don't have enough knowledge on any of the supplements, but before you take any of them, read real scientific studies done on anything you're thinking of trying (search PubMed, MedLINE, etc) for legitimate research articles (i.e. not the mainstream internet).
    Make sure you know what you're getting into regarding side effects before you start something.
  • farsteve
    farsteve Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Don't do it. None of them are what they advertise and you'll just be flushing money down the tube. Your best bets are a fish oil supplement, a multi vitimen and a whey protein shake before and after a weight training session. If you need a "jolt" of energy pre workout, drink a large cup of coffee.
  • barrattandrew
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend it. Most are just caffeine, and you can add that into your diet through a decent cup of coffee. Try supplementing with a protein powder at least that has good nutritional value and can encourage a bit more fat loss.
  • WFBspantran
    WFBspantran Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I agree with the idea that they are generally mainly caffeine. The biggest thing is to look at the word "supplement." That is exactly what they are... an addition to your diet. Without a good diet that is spot on and not cheated on, all of the supplements in the world will do little for you other than lighten your bank. A good muntivitamin, Fish oil, and whey protein are a great set of supplements to look at and staples in many people's diets. I am not one to say that fat burners and thermogentic pills don't do anything, but for most people they aren't necessary.
  • theferalkat
    theferalkat Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    OK cool - thanks for the replies! I'm really healthy in terms of what I eat, just looking for something to push it along - more running it is!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend it. Most are just caffeine, and you can add that into your diet through a decent cup of coffee. Try supplementing with a protein powder at least that has good nutritional value and can encourage a bit more fat loss.

How does a protein powder "encourage" more fat loss? Is there a little voice on the jar that tells you to run faster?
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    dont touch the fat burners please...just crap.

wanna burn more fat? starting lifting some weights. :)
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options

How does a protein powder "encourage" more fat loss? Is there a little voice on the jar that tells you to run faster?

yeah wtf right.
  • scottvolz
    scottvolz Posts: 3
    Options
    if any one is on this thread still i took the thermo called ripped freak (GNC sample) It felt like i was goin to have a aneryzism. i am very tolerate to caffiene but my god i was jumpy from 630 am til almost 2 and ended up eating more . some if you must take em start at the lowest dose waste a few to know your tolerence
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Don't do it. None of them are what they advertise

Exactly. If they REALLY worked a HUGE pharma company would carry them and the marketing would be even more endless. But they would be covered by subscription.
  • janebshaw
    janebshaw Posts: 168
    Options
    It's sad the FDA hasn't cracked down on that fraudulent stuff-- especially the products that are downright dangerous!
  • ImtheOnethatsCool
    ImtheOnethatsCool Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    NO_zps1330dd61.jpg
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    OK cool - thanks for the replies! I'm really healthy in terms of what I eat, just looking for something to push it along - more running it is!

No. Not more running. Less running and more weight lifting. You are losing all your muscle mass with all that cardio.

And fat burners are a bas idea.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Oh crap! just noticed a spammer bumped an older thread. :grumble:
  • foot56
    foot56 Posts: 44
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm thinking of using a fat burner supplement. I'm mainly doing running, skating and hula hooping but want to assist my training. Has anyone used anything before? Has anyone got tips or suggestions?

I've been looking at the JST Jodie stuff by Jodie Marsh cos it's vegan (and erm, I'm vegan!)

Help!

Bad idea.