Need help from heavy lifters please..

Options
I've pretty much gotten off all the weight i want to im 152lbs and 5ft 10. I wouldnt complain about an extra 7lbs off but im not obsessing if i dont. Up till now for the last year ive been eating at a calorie deficit, doing 1 hours cardio + 30-40 mins of weights mostly on smiths machines moderate weight high reps.
My muscles are okay, not particularly defined but not non existent. What i do need now is to increase the muscle which im hoping will shift this remaining fat yes?? BUT how do i know how many reps to do and how do i know that im lifting the right weight for me for it to be effective??I know the free weights routines just not how to do them at a heavy weight
Im also dropping the cardio to 20-30 mins instead of my usual hour and concentrating on weights now is this right?. Will this achieve what i want? i just feel im slightly flabby in areas (mainly thighs and triceps- the old bingo wings)

Replies

• soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Ditto what A_Vett said--also I found reading New Rules of Lifting For Women by Lou Schuler to be pretty informative.
  • smilesalot1969
    Options

this looks pretty good, which would i do if i want to replace fat with muscle am i aiming for the strength end of it or the hypertrophy??
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Check out Starting Strength or Stronglifts. New Rules is a good start too, no personal experience with it though.

Weightlifting and adequate protein will help to maintain lean body mass while you are still in a slight deficit. Since you are pretty happy with your stats at this point, I would recommend a very small deficit and focus on recomposition.

Cardio is personal preference really, just don't go too crazy with it and try to do it after you lift so that you can get the most out of your lifting routine without being too tired from doing cardio beforehand. 20-30 minutes post lifting seems fairly reasonable, HIIT or LISS seems to also be a personal preference and some people make that decision based strictly based on how much time they have in their schedule for working out.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,001 Member
    Options
    I started with Body for LIfe and then moved onto New Rules of Lifting for Women. (There are LOTS of texts in the "New Rules of Lifting" series, now....).

There are also other "groups" here on mfp you might want to join: "Women Strength Training" and "New Rules of Lifting for Women" come to mind.
  • jonniemarie1
    jonniemarie1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyones saying. I started by cutting cardio down to like 20 minutes max, sometimes not even doing any, and just focusing on strength training. Find a plan online or get a trainer and just be persistent with it. most plans are decent. basically if you can lift the weight for more than 12 reps, or hit 12 reps comfortably, increase the weight. Let your diet control your body fat, thats the most success that i've seen in people. good luck!