Thyroid question

Options
Hi there. I was wondering if anyone else out there is hypothyroid and having difficulty with weight loss. I am looking for any inspiration/motivation that I can find. I am currently having my medication adjusted to reduce my TSH to 1.0.

Thanks!

Replies

• itsmelynn15
    Options
    I have been on levo for 3yrs now I think, so my levels are pretty regulated. So far I am losing so it seems as long as my levels are good the weight is coming off.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I am a fairly well controlled hypothyroid. I think it is important to maintain a high enough calorie intake and activity level due to our pre-existing metabolism issues. Just as long as you don't throw yourself into hyperthyroid status a little adjustment should not hurt.
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I'm on 100 mcg of levo and have had pretty steady levels for the past year. The weight is coming off. I don't know if it would be coming off faster if I wasn't hypo or if I just need to be more dedicated to the process. I've lost 33 lbs in a year.
  • red_jess
    red_jess Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi there. There are a lot of people on MFP with thyroid issues. For me, if my meds are at the right levels, I don't have a problem losing weight if I stick to a reasonable calorie deficit. I lost 15kg last year, so it can be done! Other people have mentioned that they have to avoid certain foods in order to lose weight (I'm sure someone will be able to provide a link to the group).
    You'll find lots of advice on the forums, it's just a case of trying out different things and finding out what really works for your body.

Good luck!
  • Amlynnskie
    Amlynnskie Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm hypothyroid...

I'm almost 29 now, and I was diagnosed at 14. My weight has been a constant struggle. I lost 60 lbs when I was about 18 and then slowly over the yrs I have put 50 of it back on. I'm back on the wagon " the weight loss wagon lol" again and i'm losing, but now that I am older I am having to work a little harder this time around. Best of luck to you!!!!
  • FindingFit127
    FindingFit127 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have had hypothyroidism for 7 years now and the past two years my thyroids been really out of whack... feel free to add me for support... and theres group on here you should join.. its for people with thyroid conditions and its great!! and as far as weiightloss goes when I was younger I don't think it ever really affected my weight just made me lethargic and my hair thin out a bit.. but now I do believe it has affected my metabilism.. just gotta try to keep your tsh levels under control and give a little extra effort i guess.. lucky us :)
  • DannyG7685
    Options
    I was always the "chubby guy" Then when I was about 15 I was put on levo and got real skinny. When I was about 21 I got off of it and shot from 130 to 200 (I'm 5'5") Got back on it and started exercising and now I'm at 160, BUT I'm at 14% body fat (Muscles are heavy lol) Bottom line is, your body is lacking certain hormones that need to be replaced. (1 natural assistant to hypo thyroid is caffeine, I believe there are more but I haven't really researched it) Hope this helps. :)
  • loranch
    loranch Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Yup add me if you like. I have lost weight but its been a slow process while being very diligent about tracking calories. Ive been on meds for quite a few years at a low dose.
  • bf43285
    bf43285 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I believe I have hypothyroidism. I have a lot of the symptoms, however, I can not afford to go to the doctor. I have horrible insurance, copay is $100. I really want to know if that is the problem but shelling out that kind of money is tough. I am always tired, cold and have been trying to lose weight (diet and exercise) since October and have only lost 3 pounds. Any suggestions other than suck it up and pay the $100?
  • lhalket
    lhalket Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm on 112 mcg of synthroid and managed to lose 8 lbs in 7 weeks - so it can be done. Feel free to add me for support. :smile:
  • ernurse77
    ernurse77 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have been hypo since the birth of my now 7 year old daughter. I spoke with my doc during my physical in December and told him that I can't loose weight, cold all the time, exercising, blah blah. You are all familiar with it. I am diligent with my food and exercise ad have only lost a couple of pounds. What is frustrating is the second I veer off track I gain. Case in point, my daughter was very sick this past week. We were up all hours of the night for a few nights, back and forth to doctors and the hospital. I did t have time to work out and I didn't eat enough. The scale showed I gained 5 lbs in 5 days. Either way, I am not giving up my healthier lifestyle. Just looking for tips and tricks. I don't ever remember it being THIS difficult to loose.

Glad to know I'm not alone!!!
  • newlife0425
    newlife0425 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am a thyroid cancer survior and I currently take 137mcg of synthyroid....However, in 2010 I got down to 182 from 220. but I also have a auto immune disorder so with medical treatments and having to take predisone(spelled wrong) I call it the nasty drug I have put the weight back and more my thyroid gets out of whack with the predisone and taking methoxrate(chemo pill) so they increase my med's then 3 months ago my thyroid level was at 10.42 so they increased my thyroid medicne then last week it was to low so now taking 137 from 150mcg. I hoping that with starting to log my food again and going back to the gym the last two weeks that I will see a difference because the thyroid being off can really play a role in everything. I wish you the best of luck.
  • blancaran
    blancaran Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've had hypothyroidism since I was sixteen years old, possibly had it even earlier. I am now 22 and still treat it daily. When I was 18 I actually had surgery to remove part of the thyroid, I was told they took about the size of a fistfull and a half away. Anyways after the surgery, I became determined on working out, I lost about 70 pounds in a year. I went from weighing 240 pounds to 173 pounds. I've gained some weight since then due to my pregnancy and bad eating habits, but despite still dealing with hypothyroidism, eating healthy and exorcizing daily doesn't really stop my ability to lose weight. I used to use my thyroid problem as an excuse all the time, but I've come to realize that it had really just been me standing in the way of myself and my weight goal the whole time.
  • skinnyme47
    skinnyme47 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I am on 100 mcg of levothyroxine due to having my thyroid removed last year. I am watching my calories (or at least trying to) but I am finding it hard to lose the weight now. I am trying though to walk further than I usually do. Here is link to group. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/770-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism
  • fatnomore201220132014
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism and am on levothyroxine 150MCG . My levels should be pretty well maintained because I have lost 31 pounds within the last 4 months. I also make sure to excercise daily and eat as clean and healthy as I can. So if your levels are in a good place, you stick to your calorie limit and make sure to get your excercise, you should be losing weight. :)
  • Thisisnotadiet
    Thisisnotadiet Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I am also trying to adjust it to a little lower. I noticed that I wasn't losing weight as efficiently as I had been in the past, spoke to my endo, tested TSH, and sure enough it was about 4. It is still an OK value according to medical standard, but previously I had 1.15 and felt much better in general. So I guess it's a yes, I did have some mild difficulty in my weight loss.
  • I've had it since birth.
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I am also trying to adjust it to a little lower. I noticed that I wasn't losing weight as efficiently as I had been in the past, spoke to my endo, tested TSH, and sure enough it was about 4. It is still an OK value according to medical standard, but previously I had 1.15 and felt much better in general. So I guess it's a yes, I did have some mild difficulty in my weight loss.

If your doctor is saying 4 is an acceptable TSH by medical standard, then your doctor is not aware of the standards introduced in 2002 -- 3.0 is the top of the range for TSH, and many doctors argue is should be down to 2.5 or even 2.0.

TSH is also not a thyroid hormone; your doctor should also be testing your free T3 and free T4.
  • ernurse77
    ernurse77 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    If your doctor is saying 4 is an acceptable TSH by medical standard, then your doctor is not aware of the standards introduced in 2002 -- 3.0 is the top of the range for TSH, and many doctors argue is should be down to 2.5 or even 2.0.

TSH is also not a thyroid hormone; your doctor should also be testing your free T3 and free T4.
    [/quote]

Well that would explain a lot!!! I do not have an endo, and my TSH was 3. Last check 2 weeks ago, I was down to 2.6 so he increased my levo to 100mcg.