is your body is stuck at a certain weight??

Options
Do you think that your body gets to place where the weight just wont go any lower?
Even though you may think it should?

I have maintained the same weight for over a yr, however it isnt what my goal weight is and I really wasnt trying to maintain.

Does anyone else experience this?

Replies

• sarahspeace
    sarahspeace Posts: 19
    Options
    yeah, that happened to me a year ago. for me, i got out of that rut by changing up my workouts, taking different & new exercise classes (boot camps), as well as doing interval training. instead of doing the same old, same old (ie. strength training with same machines & then level 1 eliptical every time), i discovered more weight machines & started doing random hills on the eliptical at level 5. then i started to lose weight again. now i've also added walking/jogging intervals on the treadmill after doing weights & eliptical & am still losing weight. mixing it up helps our bodies get past that plateau. interval training has been key for me!!! good luck!
  • jmcgeehan
    jmcgeehan Posts: 3
    Options
    I'd like to hear what everyone else has to say...I feel like my body is the same way.

I read another post a few days ago about your body and a "set" point - a point where your body likes to stay regardless of whether you need to lose or not...they just said to stick with it and it will happen. I usually get frustrated and give up...
  • veganmommy04
    Options
    i've been stuck for almost 3 years!! i have changed my workouts up, i have changed my diet drastically, i hired a personal trainer, and i have stayed in the same range for 3 years!!!!! i want to be 135, but i'm afraid it will never happen for me! :(
  • sassyg
    sassyg Posts: 393
    Options
    Kinda.
    Not so much stuck at, but I feel that a good weight for me is well above what is considered "ideal" for my height. I'm large framed and have big muscular cyclist's thighs (to give you an idea of what I mean, look at my photo there: at that weight, I am still considered overweight! - I think not!)! And I LIKE being curvy. I look good with some weight on (just not quite this much! - am trying to get back to that weight).

Have you considered frame size when you work out what weight you should be? A large frame should add 10% to their ideal weight (and small subtract 10%) Maybe you really are at your ideal weight, despite what your brain is trying to tell you.
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    yup, but its my fault lol
  • makinitcount44
    makinitcount44 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    sassyg~ currently I am at the high end of my ideal weight range for my height. And i consider myself medium frame. I, too, am on the muscular side as well...well besides my midsection. LoL

veganmommy and sarahspeace~ I tried everything as well...change the diet, I consistently work out and I get bored rather quickly so I am constantly changing it up...from HIIT to lifting, running, Insanity, p90x, and biking.

jmcgeehan~ I too feel like my body is at the "set" point. grrrrr! because I am not quite where I would like to be. About 7-9lbs from goal.

fieldsy~ isnt it always our own faults???? heehee
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    I am sort of feeling this way too. It has taken me 9 months to lose the last three pounds. I know that this isn't quite a stand still but it is so slow that at this rate it would take me a year and a half to lose the rest of the weight. My original goal was 115 but then decided that I have not weighed that in almost 20 years so I re-set it to 120.

I have tried a number of things as well. Increase my calories, decrease my calories, change up my excercise, intervals, weights...it doesn't seem to make a difference.

I will follow this thread for a bit to see if anyone has anything clever to say!

D