Working out while sick!

I feel horrid. Headache, fever, couch, etc. I made a comment yesterday that I was going to go walking on my treadmill anyway, just to break a sweat. I had a few friends tell me that they would advise against it, as it isn't the best idea to exercise while ill.

Any truth? Or, are there things, lower impact wise, that would still get some calories burnt?

Replies

• MrsSardone
    MrsSardone Posts: 194 Member
    I can only tell you about my experience. I started getting sick on Monday (sore throat) but I pushed myself to workout pretty hard all through the week. Mostly cardio for an hour. Yesterday I felt terrible. Fever, cough, throat was raw, runny nose...today I rested and now I feel much better.

I think you should rest.
  • ladyluck95
    ladyluck95 Posts: 1 Member
    I wish I knew because I am having the same delimma.
  • I always push through it. I may go lower impact, like a Walk Away The Pounds DVD or something like that, but something is better than nothing for ME.
  • ladybuggprincess99
    ladybuggprincess99 Posts: 142 Member
    I always push through it. I may go lower impact, like a Walk Away The Pounds DVD or something like that, but something is better than nothing for ME.

That's what I was thinking! As long as I'm moving and not getting really dizzy, I thought it would be okay.
  • Im totally the same, whole body aches, but I did 10 minutes of stretching and 25 minutues of light yoga and breathing and it totally opened up my sinus and airways for a good 2 hours, had full energy until I spose the mini burn I had wore off. Now I rest, tomorrow I will Yoga again.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    You should rest. If you are going to workout, you should do it at home. No one wants to catch what you have.
  • Above the head- ok
    Below the head- rest
    Fever-drink lots of fluids and rest

Your doing your body more harm than good by exercising. Your immune system is trying to fight the cold but your tearing your system down by beating it further. Rest and see how you feel tomorrow. If you must do low cardio
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 557 Member
    Definitely no gym, but a gentle walk at home is fine as long as you don't push yourself and it's not below the neck. Any kind of chest illness is rest time.
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 557 Member
    I didn't see the fever part. Of course you shouldn't work out.
  • ladybuggprincess99
    ladybuggprincess99 Posts: 142 Member
    You should rest. If you are going to workout, you should do it at home. No one wants to catch what you have.

I do, we have a spare room that has turned into my treadmill room. Thanks for the reminder though. :D
  • faceoff4
    faceoff4 Posts: 1,599 Member
    I have had very mixed results with this. I have done it a ton over the last few years and sometimes I feel like it has helped me recover faster, and other times its made me feel much much worse and dragged the cold/flu out 2-3x longer than normal. I think the smart advise is to listen to your body. If you fee run down or tired its probably best to rest until you feel 100%
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    Above the head- ok
    Below the head- rest
    Fever-drink lots of fluids and rest
    i think you mean above the neck ok and below the neck rest..

OP if it's just general cold symptom like runny nose then go for it. respiratory issues like coughing then you should rest.

with a fever you should rest
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    I think it's a generally bad idea. Your body needs extra calories to recover from illness- stress makes it take longer to recover. Exercise is stress on the body. I generally think you should nutrient load your diet and rest.
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    counterproductive