I'm that really scruffy looking chick in the gym every day

Options
gfedex
gfedex Posts: 226 Member
I'm just your average hooper/runner/yoga pretzel/spinner/walker/massive music lover/film industry worker/writer/cynic/etc, and I joined MFP because I was interested in tracking my food. I'm not overweight or dreadfully out of shape, though, like many, there's always room to improve. I'm naturally quite active but do sometimes struggle with ridiculous food cravings and overeating.

I'm transitioning to a more primal style of eating- not because I think carbs are the devil, but because I realized I was getting very little protein in my diet and I wanted to change that. Since replacing my oatmeal-three-meals-per-day habit, I'm getting a lot more fruits and veggies in my diet, as well as eating bacon and eggs for the first time in years. I'm not struggling with calories and I'm not constantly feeling hungry. Also, butter.

I haven't weighed myself in over a year, and it's been great. It's allowed me to focus on eating healthy and exercising regularly without it being all about a number on the scale. I know that daily weigh-ins work for many, but for me they just cause unnecessary stress.

For exercise, I go to the gym as often as possible. During the week there are two spinning classes, a step class (funny, as I'm horrendously uncoordinated), and about five yoga classes I'll attend (one more relaxation based, the others more vinyasa style). I used to think yoga was kind of lame (IF YOU AREN"T A SWEAT FOUNTAIN IT'S A WASTE OF TIME) but I've become rather enamored with it and have been working on different arm balances and flexibility moves.

Having first developed an interest in nutrition over a decade ago, I'm at a point where I'm beyond the BSing. I can't remember the last time I read a new food study and thought, "Hey, that's something I haven't heard before!" I'm not interested in worrying about whether or not I gain two ounces when I've exercised, if I should eat birthday cake, debating different eating styles (why not just stick with what works for you?) how many fat grams I'm eating or what time of day someone should be exercising (answer: the time you're most likely to do it).

I'm not interesting in worrying at all, really- I just want to be healthy.

Replies

• Davy_RockHit214
    Davy_RockHit214 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    This post was very motivational! Thanks. It's so true we worry too too much.
  • gfedex
    Options
    Thank you as well!
  • Rachelmilloy
    Rachelmilloy Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    He, he, I don't have special gym attire either, apart from the running shoes that is. My BMI is at last in the 20s again, barely. I recently browsed the book Eat to Live and am intrigued (yet skittish) at the thought of more veg, less meat. Most of my exercise comes from walking, but I'm starting to feel so darn good that I find myself jumping up to dance when a good song comes on the radio. I retired last May and so far consider my new lifestyle a great gift, which got me thinking I needed to be in the best shape possible to do justice to it. Welcome to MFP land, and feel free to add me as a friend!
  • gfedex
    Options
    I do a fair bit of walking myself- a minimum of 5km per day, as that's a round trip to the gym. I'm usually there with my hair pushed back into something vaguely Einsteinian, tights and an indie kid band shirt. Makeup? Please. It's dark circles and blemishes for this bish.

The whole thing probably makes me look a bit crazy- but not as crazy as dolling oneself up to go to the gym.
  • slcostel
    slcostel Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Hoopers/spinners unite! :happy:

That being said, let me finish reading the rest of your post :blushing:
  • mcflat29
    mcflat29 Posts: 2,159 Member
    Options
    Hooray! A real person! Omg, I'm so happy you exist! I get so tired of people asking me what I wear to the gym... Um, clothes that don't bind... I don't have a separate workout wardrobe, I'm not rich or impressing anyone. I also get so sick of people telling me "eat this, do this, blah, blah" Yes, I'm very out of shape now, I put myself on the back burner while I finished school and I'm the type that could eat lettuce all day and turn into 500lbs if I'm not working out. I'm not 500lbs, but I'm not where I want to be or where I was. That doesn't mean I don't know what I'm doing or what works for me.

Thank you for the motivational post!!
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I like you.....
  • gfedex
    Options
    Hooray! A real person! Omg, I'm so happy you exist! I get so tired of people asking me what I wear to the gym... Um, clothes that don't bind... I don't have a separate workout wardrobe, I'm not rich or impressing anyone. I also get so sick of people telling me "eat this, do this, blah, blah" Yes, I'm very out of shape now, I put myself on the back burner while I finished school and I'm the type that could eat lettuce all day and turn into 500lbs if I'm not working out. I'm not 500lbs, but I'm not where I want to be or where I was. That doesn't mean I don't know what I'm doing or what works for me.

Thank you for the motivational post!!

This is a lot like me- I went from working 9-5 in an office and training after-hours for half marathons. Then, it was back to school and, though I was walking everywhere, it wasn't the same as a 90-minute run followed by weightlifting. Coupled with some unhealthy diet habits- well, I wouldn't mind regaining some past glories.

I wear what makes me feel good in the gym, and it doesn't need to be from Lululemon (and frankly, I wouldn't be caught dead carrying a bag that says "Children are the orgasm of life.")
  • mcflat29
    Options
    (and frankly, I wouldn't be caught dead carrying a bag that says "Children are the orgasm of life.")

Dear God why????

A lot of the ladies my age at the gym (even ones larger than myself) have this idea that you have to wear some kind of spandex. Really?? I typically wear my yoga pants and a comfortable t-shirt. My dad tried to explain this whole idea behind compression, wicking materials, etc etc. I said, "Really, dad, I'm just going to sweat in it and half those pieces cost $50+ here!" I'm not spending thousands of dollars on "special" clothes. Not. Gonna. Happen. Besides, if I'm dripping with sweat, I feel accomplished LOL
  • mcflat29
    Options
    However, I will spend a decent amount of money on good workout shoes that only get used at the gym. That just makes sense to me, I can't stand when people walk in with muddy shoes and climb on the treadmill... ew
  • mdearmond
    mdearmond Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I do a fair bit of walking myself- a minimum of 5km per day, as that's a round trip to the gym. I'm usually there with my hair pushed back into something vaguely Einsteinian, tights and an indie kid band shirt. Makeup? Please. It's dark circles and blemishes for this bish.

The whole thing probably makes me look a bit crazy- but not as crazy as dolling oneself up to go to the gym.

Haha this right here makes me like you. Maybe it's just because I go I the gym on my schools campus, but everytime I am there I see all these girls dolled up in makeup with their hair down and straightened and their super cute matching tank/pant/shoe combo barely breaking a sweat, meanwhile I'm in baggy tees, shorts, no makeup and hair flying everywhere with huge sweat stains in my armpits. Attractive is not my goal when I'm a the gym, its my goal for after.
  • mcflat29
    Options

Haha this right here makes me like you. Maybe it's just because I go I the gym on my schools campus, but everytime I am there I see all these girls dolled up in makeup with their hair down and straightened and their super cute matching tank/pant/shoe combo barely breaking a sweat, meanwhile I'm in baggy tees, shorts, no makeup and hair flying everywhere with huge sweat stains in my armpits. Attractive is not my goal when I'm a the gym, its my goal for after.

I have a shirt on order, it says "If you're still cute after your workout, you're not working hard enough" :laugh: