Vegan struggling with diet.

Options
I'm just 2 days into successfully using the diet plan that my personal trainer gave me, but being Vegan I'm finding it hard to get enough healthy protein.
I'm eating a lot of vegetables, and my body is struggling to get used to it. I feel like throwing up, but that may have been the lack of sleep that I got last night (only 1 1/2 hours). I made up for it this morning with a 4 hour nap, but my stomach is still a bit queasy. I wonder if this is from the large amount of spinach and roughage that I have to eat to make my calorie goal. I used to eat Amy Bowls quite often, but I am trying to learn to be more of a vegan cook for myself rather than relying on precooked meals. Not to mention the cost of precooked, organic, vegan microwave meals versus the cheaper cost of vegetables (especially shopping at Costco).
I want to continue to be vegan and make my meal plan, but I need a better source of protein that I can prepare myself.
Also, if anyone has any ideas on high iron foods, I would appreciate the input.
Thank you! :D

Replies

• kaypat09
    kaypat09 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'd say definitely try to cook with beans! Lentils, chick peas, black beans, etc. They're all a great source of protein for vegans.

I don't know if LIFE cereal is vegan... but it has a ton of iron in it. One serving has 1/2 my day's worth.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    tofu
    beans
    lentils
    chickpeas
    nuts
    seeds
    fortified cereals
    grains
  • Bobtheangrytomato
    Bobtheangrytomato Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Have you tried tempeh? I think it has a lot of iron in addition to protein.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Beans, tofu, and soy meat are good sources of protein. Beans are easy to prepare yourself to ensure that they are vegan. I'm not sure if there is anything in the processing of tofu or soy meat that would make it unsuitable for a vegan.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Most cereals contain white sugar which is not vegan as it is processed using animal bones.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    join one of the vegan groups to get recipe ideas
  • ohmynicoley
    ohmynicoley Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Oh! I'm vegan as well! I struggled at first with diet and getting protein but I now loveeeeeeee tofu. I could eat it every meal. It's all in how you cook it in my opinion. I buy the tofu and freeze it over night (it changes the texture completely!) then I take it out and let it thaw, then I just squeeze out as much water as possible and cut it into fish-stick like strips, throw it in a skillet with about 2tps of olive oil and use it like chicken. I add veggies and brown rice and bam! You can add me/message me and I'll share some more stuff with you!
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I don't have any suggestions that haven't been covered but I gotta say I'm totally impressed with the real helpful answers on this thread! I read your post and thought "uh oh... the next post is going to be about how she should just eat a steak..." Pleasantly surprised. High five MFP!
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I do a hemp protein smoothie every morning with superfood, maca, coconut oil and chia seeds.. and you've got all the nutrition you need in a day
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Garbanzo beans are best, any beans are good, olive oil and nuts!
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    And Iron= spinach
  • nakimushi
    nakimushi Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Optimun Nutrition Soy Protein powder in chocolate is pretty good after workouts or even when you get a sweet craving. 120 calories, 25g protein and 2g carbs
  • Bobtheangrytomato
    Bobtheangrytomato Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I don't have any suggestions that haven't been covered but I gotta say I'm totally impressed with the real helpful answers on this thread! I read your post and thought "uh oh... the next post is going to be about how she should just eat a steak..." Pleasantly surprised. High five MFP!

Can't lie, I thought about doing that. But I've been vegan in the past so I thought I'd help. Also raw cashews are really tasty and have good fats/protein. Try the cookbook "appetite for reduction" by isa chandra moskowitz. It's a vegan low cal cookbook. The lentil soup is especially good.
  • bcraigrncen
    bcraigrncen Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Muscle milk protien shakes are soy based. I am not vegan I am on a 6 week vegan challenge. I am doing Dr Fuhrman's 6 week challenge to help with some food addictions.
  • ROSE_arc
    Options

Me too. Great answers.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I'm not vegan, but I didn't see quinoa mentioned yet. I believe it's one of the few plants that is considered a "complete" protein.
  • cathdrew2
    cathdrew2 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    ... my stomach is still a bit queasy. I wonder if this is from the large amount of spinach and roughage that I have to eat to make my calorie goal.

I am a veggie and a little confused by this statement. Spinach is a great food - did someone recommend you eat lots and lots of it? Why? What is your caloric goal? Maybe it's too low if you are eating a lot of spinach to stay under the goal.

Inadequate sleep almost always makes me queasy.

Try to be gentle with yourself and phase into your new approach to eating gradually rather than taking an all-or-nothing approach: commit to a few home-cooked meals each week and supplement with Amy's and other similar quick meals if that makes it easier for you. Use Boca, Quorn, and MorningStar Farms products to keep your protein up as you add more food to your new approach to cooking. Keeping your protein high is critical for sticking with a caloric deficit long term. Best wishes on your journey - good luck!
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    blog.fatfreevegan.com

happyherbivore.com

these sites are fantastic and will give you all kinds of ideas. i promise.

a suggestion i have for you is this:
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/refried-beans-without-the-refry/detail.aspx

i use this recipe to make black beans, kidney, etc. it's just good and really super easy. i use broth instead of as much salt tho, just personal preference.

also, when i don't get enough sleep it really messes w my stomach too. here's wishing you 40 winks!
  • MarieAngelacfu
    MarieAngelacfu Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I hope this will help you it did a lot for me and i love the comparison tools. Good luck!!!!! http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/food-sources-of-iron.php
  • SarahAFerguson
    SarahAFerguson Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Bumping for future reference