Giving up Coffee...suggestions for a Good TEA?????

Options

Replies

• BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Black coffee drinker here, but I do occasionally enjoy tea.

Red rooibos, jasmine, oolong, and green are all favorites of mine and require no sugar to enjoy. All are good cold or iced.

Do you have an Elephant Tea near you? Go in and explore. No reason you shouldn't have fun with it.
  • sagj
    sagj Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I'm drinking green tea brewed with Sweet Cinnamon Spice Herbal Tea by Kroger (Fry's grocery Private Selection). The cinnamon tea is very sweet without added sugar (there is a sweet herb in there) and very strong in flavor if you brew it very long. I highly recommend it. It sweetened up my green tea enough that I don't need to add any sugar.

Also if you want to try a bunch of tasty teas you could stop by a Teavana if you have one. I warn you, they are expensive but it can be nice if you find one you love and savor it as a calorie-free treat. The flavors I like from there are the Rooibos Tropical and Strawberries and Champaign Oolong. They let you sample in the store which is fun.
  • Kabijots
    Kabijots Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Just a good old strong cup of tea (proper English black tea) with a splash of milk. Twinings are great! :drinker:
  • bloomingolive
    Options
    Number one rule, loose leaf not bags, treat yourself to a tea infuser, they come in all shapes and sizes but basically allow you to brew leaf tea without the need for a tea pot

Number two rule, NO MILK, lemon if you must, but why destroy such a delicately refined infusion.

^^THIS!
    Tea is at its best when it's "plain", with a bit of lemon and, in lieu of sugar, a teaspoon of honey or agave.
    It's heaven.

I'm not a coffee drinker so I don't know about flavour, but I think the transition will be smoother if you start with Black tea, which is a bit stronger.
    If you have a local shop nearby, try some combination of loose leaf. There are hundreds of different flavours, from the most plaine to exotic delicacies: my friend once gave me a caramel-lavander blend!

If you want to go for the grocery-shop tea bags, I adore Twining's Puh-er.
  • knyagrl
    knyagrl Posts: 20
    Options
    I say try some tea bags (not loose leaf) to start with, since loose leaf costs more (as does the equipment for it). Yes, I'm a grad student on a very tight budget. I like loose leaf, but it's a treat, not a daily thing for me.

Some bagged teas I really like are Stash Tea's Decaf Chocolate Hazlenut, Lipton's Vanilla Caramel Truffle, and Bigelow's Vanilla Caramel or French Vanilla. For these, I add about 2 T. skim milk and 1 or 1/2 sugar packet, and it's creamy enough for me.

If you like stronger, darker flavor, go for Darjeeling, or a Kenyan tea.

Hope this helps!
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Wow, lots of great ideas here for tea. My favorites at the moment: 1. zhena' gypsy Coconut Chai black tea. It has a nice caffeine kick and interesting flavor. 2.. Luna Ginger Citrus Guayusa...spicy and has a caffeine kick. 3. Celestial Seasonings Sugar Plum Spice...tastes a bit sweet. I like my teas with no additions.

As for coffee, as others have suggested, try reducing the add ons gradually until you can enjoy the coffee black or with just a splash of milk. And enjoy your experiments with tea flavors.

I've had the loose leaf teas and they generally were stronger flavors but I want quick and easy so all my tea use is from teabags.
  • ThickNfit54
    Options
    Thank You all so much for the suggestions. Today is only day two of no coffee but feeling really good about it and excited to try knew things! Already Loving the Green Tea fruit blends & Chai Tea as well. I know that coffee by it's self isn't bad for me but I just can't have it without Lots of creamer so it's kind of an all or nothing thing for me. Silly I know but that's just me. Feeling a lot stronger mentally today by not feeling like I HAVE to have a cup to start my day. I don't like feeling as if I can't function with out having something especially since I know how bad all the creamer is for me. So once again THANK YOU for opening my eyes to the world of TEA!!!!!!!!!
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I drink both coffee and tea but I have given up all creamers in my coffee (still sweeten it slightly). That's neither here nor there however.

Favorite teas:

Jasmine
    Green
    English breakfast
    Earl Grey
    and my all time favorite: Orange Pekoe

I have caffeinated and decaf in all of them, except Jasmine. I have never been able to find a decaf of that type. I also sweeten them with tiny amounts of artificial sweetener (except earl grey, just a splash of milk in that one).
  • IMNotanumber
    IMNotanumber Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    artoftea.com. The best handcrafted loose leaf tea. Their dessert teas are to die for. Vanilla berry truffle. Velvet tea. Chocolate monkey. Oh MY! That helped me lose weight because in the evenings when I wanted to graze, I would drink tea with a splash of cream and a bit of stevia.

I went to this site. Oh, YUM!
  • atrebor18
    atrebor18 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I'm a black coffee drinker but I prefer it ground at home and made in a french press which is way too much work for me to do everyday lol so I drink a lot of tea since its quick to make and has health benefits. Right now I drink green tea in the morning and one or two cups of dandelion root tea later in the day. I love it for its detox effects.
  • stringbeann
    Options
    Earl's garden from davids tea. its great. tastes delish and a good amount of caffeine
  • MelisaBegins
    MelisaBegins Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    my favorite tea (and my husbands) is Sweet and Spicy from Good Earth. I can get it at walmart. It's so good you won't even know you're drinking tea, but it helps me with my sweets cravings.

THIS!

Best tea I've ever had. LOVE LOVE LOVE it.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I like peppermint tea
  • wolframald
    Options
    If you are looking for non-caffeine: Roastaroma - is caffeine free and full of flavor. I use stevia and unsweetened soy milk to dress it up with minimum calories. Tazo Vanilla Rooibos is also excellent.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Green tea with a squirt of lemon juice. I love it.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    check out davidstea.com or see if they have a store near you.

they have good stuff

I second David's tea! They sell a variety of flavors in loose leaves. A lot of them you don't need any flavors sweetener or milk because they are just that good on their own! One of my favourites is called "read my lips".. It tastes like hot chocolate but it's a tea!

These! I love cocomint cream, pumpkin chai and mother's little helper(this one is great for helping me relax at work and before bed.
  • JessicaRobin67
    JessicaRobin67 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I like Constant Comment...Orange/sweet spice AND Green Tea Superfruits of Acai and blueberries.
  • steadybutsure
    steadybutsure Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I like tea, but I am never giving up my morning coffee! You don't have to stop drinking it. Just put less creamer in it. It's still good, I promise. I used to use tons of creamer and sugar. I've weaned myself down to coconut milk creamer (10 cals for half of a tablespoon) and no sugar/sweeteners. If I get my coffee out, I get skim milk and a splenda. Less than 20 cals either way.

am going to have to try the creamer. I have given up on giving up coffee. i accept it lol. i will try this to cut down on calories. Thanks for sharing.
  • charever92
    Options
    I also love David's tea. I just had a cup of Read My Lips, and I also recently tried Jessie's Tea. But, I have my morning favourite called Coffee Pu'erh. It's a tea with cocoa and coffee beans, as well as tea leaves. Fan-friggen-tastic for my "coffee" fix in the morning. David's tea has about 150 flavours, with black, white, green, rooibos, pu'erh, oolong, mate, and herbal varieties (www.davidstea.com). I have three The Perfect Tea mugs, and they are awesome.
  • jhassell67
    jhassell67 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Loose Leaf tea to me has the best flavour. David's Tea store Is a good place to sample some. I like loose leaf Green Tea with pear (Bought from the HoneyBee Center) steeped for 3-5 mins with 1 tsp of unpasteurized honey. comforting and very tastey with the pear flavour.