25.2 pounds in my first month?

Options
Hi all. I began my heathly lifestyle journey on January 1st. I was wondering if it was okay that I lost 25.2 pounds in my first month? While I realize a lot of it was water weight, It was a psychological boost to see that I lost 25.2 pounds on my 2/1 weigh in. As of last Sunday, I'm down 28.2 pounds.

Here are my stats-

29 year old male.
6'3"
420.2 pounds. (On January 1st.)

I have not done a stitch of exercise since I began, I plan on starting that in the next few months. I eat 1,500 calories a day.

Here is my typical daily menu-

Breakfast- Oatmeal and yogurt.

Mid morning snack- Nutrigrain bar.

Lunch- Soup and an apple.

Afternoon snack- 94% fat free popcorn.

Dinner- Chicken breast or fish on top of salad.

Replies

• edithejaime
    edithejaime Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    ITS NORMAL BUT START WORKINGOUT ..SOON
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    The larger you are the faster you will lose... especially at the beginning.

Start working out when you can. You want to add in exercise and retain lean muscle.

Also, 1500 cals may be too low. I am 5' 5", 196lb and female and eat that plus exercise calories.

Great work so far!
  • hutchy100
    hutchy100 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    good for you
  • faireplay
    Options
    Don't worry about how much you have lost so far but do rethink how much you are eating. I started at 206 and couldn't figure out why I stalled out after the first month of eating 1200 calories. I read many posts here on MFP and learned that I was likely not eating enough. I did the research and I upped my calories and what do ya know....I started losing again and continue to lose consistently. The more you weigh the more you need to eat. Also, when the novelty and newness of your new eating style wears off you are going to begin to feel less satisfied and that is where binging and slip ups come in. Since your body will be so accustomed to operating on the 1500 cals anything over that is going to get stored as surplus.
    I'm sure someone else can explain this better but the main thing is the more you eat now, the more you will be able eat when you get to maintenance, giving you a much better chance of keep the weight off for the long run.
  • PosterGuy1
    PosterGuy1 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys. That is very helpful.