Heavy Lifting - Free Weights vs Machine results??

Options
I have done stronglifts for a couple months last year. I was never really comfortable with the use of free weights (always had trouble setting up and no spotter)

Do you really think their is a big difference with results from one vs the other?

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • tobynapalm
    tobynapalm Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Free weights will always win. Not only are you using the muscles that the exercise is designed for, you're using stabilizer muscles as well.
  • ookblah
    Options
    yes, with free weights you have to stabilize the weight in addition to lifting it, which involves a lot of other tiny muscles that you need to work. sometimes the machines can't fully account for your body's range of motion and as a result you'll lift with improper form increasing the risk of injury.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you mean by "results."

Hypertrophy of a specific muscle group? Overall strength? Total body workout? Free weights mainly, but machines do have a place in a lifting program to target some areas if you feel they need to be targeted. It is different for everyone, so you have to get into what works best for you and your ultimate goals.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    yes, with free weights you have to stabilize the weight in addition to lifting it, which involves a lot of other tiny muscles that you need to work. sometimes the machines can't fully account for your body's range of motion and as a result you'll lift with improper form increasing the risk of injury.

yesyes
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Spent a year on machines. Maybe added 10%.
    3 months on free weights, over 50% to all lifts.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I just finished reading the New Rules for Lifting for Women and it gives great advice about free weights verus machines - free weights is the answer for many of the reasons already pointed out.

The book is excellent and gives you a 6 month free weight training plan - I am just finishing week 1 and I love it. You should get it!
  • ChaoticMum
    ChaoticMum Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/744311-free-weights-vs-machines-holy-crap

Check this gal out....there is my answer. It's not me, but I can't wait to have those results.
  • kopmom
    kopmom Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. I pretty much figured free weights but wanted to get some opinions