Health benefits of BUTTER

Options
I'm starting to cook for myself because I want to have a healthier me. My dilemma is I don't know if Oil is much better than butter for cooking (satay or oven, or anything else).

PS.
I know oil is better than butter but if I only put one table spoon of butter every meal is that a lot? and should I just change to oil then?

Replies

• jessjoye
    jessjoye Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    You are young, get your taste buds use to the health benefits of either olive oil or coconut oil now. Butter is unhealthy all around.
  • Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I love butter and I use it occasionally. When I do, I make sure it is included in my calorie count. Often I skip the butter because it isn't really necessary to what I am eating and it just adds calories. A bit of butter won't kill you but olive oil is definitely better health-wise.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Butter is unhealthy all around.

No. Just no.

OP, when it comes to cooking, butter is one of the best things you can use, IMO. Cook with either butter, coconut oil or animal fat (ie, fry eggs in bacon grease, etc) - save the olive oil for a dressing or dip.
    There is NOTHING unhealthy about butter.
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I use butter on bread and in mash potato and use it in cooking. I also use olive oil for some cooking.
    There are health benefits to butter but if I list them I'll be asked to cite scientific test and I don't want to spend that time
    Google it. plenty out there about butter's benefits
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options

No. Just no.

OP, when it comes to cooking, butter is one of the best things you can use, IMO. Cook with either butter, coconut oil or animal fat (ie, fry eggs in bacon grease, etc) - save the olive oil for a dressing or dip.
    ^this
    i usually use butter when cooking, but have used coconut oil a few times. bacon grease is my favorite but it depends on what im making.
  • jessjoye
    jessjoye Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    .,...I admit when I am wrong... organic butter is healthy... just don't use Margarine! YUCK :)
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    Use butter, coconut oil, or ghee in your cooking. Your body needs fats to function.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

No. Just no.

Completely agree! To say that butter is unhealthy all around is just nonsense. About 10 years ago I was having a digetive system issue from a long time on antibiotics. My doctor and RD both told me to use butter as my primary fat as it is very healthy.
  • ambrosij
    ambrosij Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Most supporters of Paleo/Primal eating would absolutely disagree with some of these comments about butter. Grass fed butter is extremely nutritious It’s high in vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and healthy fats. Cooking with olive oil or any vegetable oil I would argue, is inferior to butter. The truth is margarine is a highly processed food. Margarine is made from crude vegetable oils that go through a series manufacturing process which end with a smooth spread. Olive oil is a gray area in Paleo, as it is a healthy oil that is essentially derived from a fruit. Olive oil is great for drizzling but clarified butter (Ghee) is superior for cooking. Olive oil has a relatively low smoke point, if it has to be an oil I would reach for the coconut oil. The case against olive oil in the Paleo community has to do with its high levels of linoleic acid...other than that is probably a fine choice.

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/butter-infographic/
    http://www.thewholekitchen.com/why-butter-is-good-for-you-5-reasons-to-start-eating-butter/
    http://www.indianexpress.com/news/butter-may-be-better-for-you-than-olive-oil/578119
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    You are young, get your taste buds use to the health benefits of either olive oil or coconut oil now. Butter is unhealthy all around.

Actually, there are substances in butter that are quite good for you such as butyric acid and alpha linoleic acid (the first helps to inhibit bad intestinal bacteria and ALA is helpful for burning fat.). Just make sure to use organic butter as it contains more of the goodies. Olive oil is good too. If you want to make your own "better butter" you can take one cup of softened butter and mix it with 2/3 cup of extra virgin olive oil and 1/3 cup of coconut oil. Mix and refrigerate. Is spreadable right out of the frig and give you the goodness of butter, olive oil and coconut oil all in one spread. :smile:
  • matthewsq
    matthewsq Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the answer.

My next question is:
    How much is too much butter for it to be bad?

Normally I use one tablespoon and after I take out the food from the pan I see a lot of grease in the pan. That means only half of it was used
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options

Actually, there are substances in butter that are quite good for you such as butyric acid and alpha linoleic acid (the first helps to inhibit bad intestinal bacteria and ALA is helpful for burning fat.). Just make sure to use organic butter as it contains more of the goodies. Olive oil is good too. If you want to make your own "better butter" you can take one cup of softened butter and mix it with 2/3 cup of extra virgin olive oil and 1/3 cup of coconut oil. Mix and refrigerate. Is spreadable right out of the frig and give you the goodness of butter, olive oil and coconut oil all in one spread. :smile:
    that sounds good - ill have to try it!
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options

My next question is:

Normally I use one tablespoon and after I take out the food from the pan I see a lot of grease in the pan. That means only half of it was used

Define "bad". If "bad" is exceeding your TDEE and making you gain weight, then too much butter is when it, well, exceeds your TDEE. Um, I guess too much butter is also when you feel sick fm eating it too much?

If you logged a tablespoon of butter, you may as well you the whole amount. I personally like to pour the remaining butter onto my eggs/omelette/hash brown for that extra flavour.
  • ktdidit78
    ktdidit78 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm a baker and I try to make all my recipes healthier whenever possible. But butter creates a better quality item and I never substitute butter. You need SOME fats in your diet, and quality butter is more natural than margarines - butter comes straight from milk, which I've heard comes from cows, whereas margarines are... gross. (In baking, use unsweetened applesauce in place of shortening, that can really save you on fat and calories.) Unless you are on a serious cholesterol lowering diet, you should be fine continuing to use butter. I use olive oil, coconut oil or Pam spray when cooking in a pan depending on the dish and canola oil when baking.

MODERATION is key with all foods. If you ENJOY your food, you'll be more satisfied all around. :)
  • ambrosij
    ambrosij Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'm a baker and I try to make all my recipes healthier whenever possible. But butter creates a better quality item and I never substitute butter. You need SOME fats in your diet, and quality butter is more natural than margarines - butter comes straight from milk, which I've heard comes from cows, whereas margarines are... gross. (In baking, use unsweetened applesauce in place of shortening, that can really save you on fat and calories.) Unless you are on a serious cholesterol lowering diet, you should be fine continuing to use butter. I use olive oil, coconut oil or Pam spray when cooking in a pan depending on the dish and canola oil when baking.

MODERATION is key with all foods. If you ENJOY your food, you'll be more satisfied all around. :)

I would say substitute lard for shortening any day of the week...shortening is as gross as margarine. Kinda of like the difference between a good quality whipped cream (home made preferably) vs. Cool Whip...the thought of eating whipped vegetable oil just doesnt sound right.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

I would say substitute lard for shortening any day of the week...shortening is as gross as margarine. Kinda of like the difference between a good quality whipped cream (home made preferably) vs. Cool Whip...the thought of eating whipped vegetable oil just doesnt sound right.

The very finest pie crusts are always made with half butter and half lard. :smile:
  • belizsera
    belizsera Posts: 82 Member
    Options

This is not exactly true. Butter is actually quite healthy. Grass fed butter even better.
  • belizsera
    Options
    I'm starting to cook for myself because I want to have a healthier me. My dilemma is I don't know if Oil is much better than butter for cooking (satay or oven, or anything else).

PS.
    I know oil is better than butter but if I only put one table spoon of butter every meal is that a lot? and should I just change to oil then?

I would suggest using a combination of olive oil, extra virgin coconut oil and butter (grass fed if you can get it). Each has their own health benefits so you can't go wrong giving yourself some variety. My preference is Land of Lakes unsalted butter in the sticks but I also like Land of Lakes with Olive oil. You get the best of both worlds. Kroger has their Simply sustainable brand that is amazing as well. Kerrygold grass fed butter is good but I read they are not 100% grass fed all year so I would tread lightly. Ghee is awesome and you can buy that on Amazon because it doesn't need to be refrigerated.
  • belizsera
    Options

Oh my! I need to try this.
  • belizsera
    Options

My next question is:

I eat butter almost everyday. I also use extra virgin coconut oil in my coffee. When I run out CO, I replace it with butter. It's pretty damn good and gives me tons of energy.

Also, the butter in your pan, leave it there and use it for the next meal.