HRM/Burning Calories

Options
I am curious, do any of you ever see that it takes time for your HR to go up when you are working out. I am in week 6 of my 9 workout program and lately I have seen that my HR is not going up until mid workout.

Sometimes my HR does not go up at all and I feel like I was working out but not burning like I should be. Recently I am working out twice a day which I have done many times. I am doing Les Mills Combat and then I am running. When I run my HR is fine.

I am wondering if I should be doing something differently? I am also wondering if my HRM sometimes is not working.

Julianne

Replies

• hkmurphy83
    hkmurphy83 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that my HR doesn't go up like it used to, but I'm getting in much better shape so the things I'm doing don't take as much effort any more. Have you tried manually taking your HR when you think it is higher than what your HRM is saying?
  • kbodnaruk
    Options
    I haven't had a problem at all with my HR going up with my HRM (a Polar FT4). Usually when I am done with my warm-up it is within range and of course I am into the main workout (either walking/jogging or doing a circuit training DVD). Sometimes it does beep at me because I have gone above the target for my HR during my jogs or during the hard core weight sessions on my DVD - but otherwise it has worked fine.

It may be that you have lost some weight and haven't updated your HRM to reflect your new weight. May want to check that. I think mine said I need to reset my weight for every 10 pounds I lose.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    The better condition you are in, the longer it will take for your heart rate to go up. The only real way to counter that is to increase your intensity.
  • savlov30
    savlov30 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your response.

I will look at the HRM about the weight. I was wondering about if you are getting into shape that it would take longer.
  • enigmaneo
    enigmaneo Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I've had the opposite problem. My heart rate monitor is going over my desired goal earlier than it was before. I think this might be because I'm tired. Not sure why, but a bit worried.
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    That just means you're getting more fit! For me, my HR is high at first, then after about 10 minutes it's lower and I have to work really hard to get it up. Then when I rest, it recovers very fast, like in 15-20 seconds.

Obviously, the faster your HR is the more calories you burn. So if you have to work harder to get your HR up, that just means you have to work longer. That's the downside of getting fit!
  • bluebug2013
    bluebug2013 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    What exercise are you doing?

Oh and don't exercise when you are tired you will just make yourself ill.
  • enigmaneo
    enigmaneo Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Mostly running or elliptical.
  • kodom_123
    kodom_123 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have been noticing the same things...I got back into the gym at the new year and I had to keep an eye on my HR to keep it below a certain point or I would have a headache after. I was walking and running, doing elipticals, and weight training. I noticed my burns were decreasing and had to put some hiit in-between sets of my weights to keep the HR up.
    I have an FT4. I am fairly certain the chest strap is tight enough (I have tried to snug it up more anyways) and it's in the same place as it always was.

I started doing Zumba 3-4 times a week. My first 2 classes my HR got up to 150s and I would have 505 cals or there abouts burned in 60 minutes. Then at my 3rd class I noticed my HR was only getting up around 140 tops and avg 125-130. Burn got to be only 450 in the 60 minutes. Now after 3 weeks of Zumba, I am burning only about 350- 375 in the same 60 minutes. Same instructors...so I was wondering if it was a combination of me learning the dances and also getting more fit.

I can go do kettlebell swings and squats etc right after Zumba and my HR will get up to 160 or more at the end of a 20 set of swings. So the strap is in the same place etc.
    Is it really possible after only a few classes I have gotten fit enough to burn 100 cal less?? It's a bummer lol. I try to up the intensity now that I know the steps coming.