Color Run Advice please :)

Options
So I finally did it...I took a step I didn't think I'd ever do. I actually signed up to do a race! :) I also have my 2 daughters signed up to do it with me, kind of a crazy, fun girls day out. So, being as this is my first color run and all, can anyone give me any advice for things to do or not to do in order to make this as much fun as possible? I've heard wear sunglasses, I wanted to take pics, but I don't want to ruin my camera....and I was debating my mp3........Anyone have any ideas or thoughts from their previous run experiences? :)

Replies

• LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    Not sure what to tell you about the Camera. Maybe keep it sealed in something during the Run, then take Pictures when No Color Dust is being thrown?
    Take Sheets or towels or something to protect the Car Seats on the way home!! I took an old Bed Sheet and it was Perfect.

Keep your Mouth CLOSED when you are running through the Dust Cloud!!

Be sure to let us know how it goes!! My Sister and I are doing Color Me Rad in May. Her 1st EVER race. My 2nd Color Run, and I have done several other 5Ks for different Charitys. This one will be FUN!!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I think most of the color runs provide you with sunglasses when you pick up your race packet. But if not, definitely wear some.

The powder gets EVERYWHERE - I had my phone in my running belt, on my back, under my shirt, and there was powder inside the phone case. :tongue: Didn't ruin it, but next time I might put it in a zip lock just to be safe. Some of the color stations had liquid color as well, so if you take a camera/phone/mp3 device, keep that in mind.

Some people like to cover their face or mouth with a bandana or mask - I just sort of held my breath through the clouds and did fine. Lots of color in the mouth (and up your nose!) when you're through!

Just don't wear anything you don't mind permanently colored. I wore grey shorts, and they are fine, and of course you want a white shirt for all that color, but even my sports bra was pretty bright when it was all over, and not all the color washed out. Not a big deal - I kind of like it as a souvenir.

Other than that - have fun! I had a blast!
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I figured whatever I wore would be rainbow colored, even the shoes, but that's okay, kind of a fun reminder. :)
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I did it this past weekend. You are going to have a blast!

I kept my phone (which I took lots and lots of pics on) as well as my DL and some cash in a ziplock baggie I ran with. When I took it out to take pictures it did get a coating of rainbow, but nothing that didn't wipe off.

Show up early and if you can pick up your race packet ahead of time. If you don't, no big deal, but I would still suggest it. The one I went to was at Dodger Stadium and parking was limited. If yours is similar get there early! The parking was a mess the closer you got to the time of the run.

Have a blast, take lots and lots of pictures and good luck! It is so much fun
  • deadmittens
    deadmittens Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Maybe buy a disposable camera? Those are hard to find now days. Try walgreens or CVS
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just did a race like this last Saturday (Color Me Rad). Here's what wisdom I can provide.

1: Wear eye protection. Cornstarch is really annoying when it gets in your eyes. They'll probably provide you with a cheap plastic pair of sunglasses; I wore these and went without my prescription glasses. I can see well enough to follow the guy in front of me. Goggles are another option, if you feel like being really silly about it.

2. If you're gonna bring electronics with you, protect them. The dust gets everywhere, and also at some color stations they'll spray you with watercolor.

3. Because you're running with your daughters, I'm gonna advise against headphones; I've always considered wearing headphones at a social event to be supremely rude, and this race is really a social event. I didn't have a team, it was just me, and I felt lonely; if I ever do a run like this again, I'm going to recruit *somebody* to run with me. And besides, it's just a fun run; chances are you won't even get a chip timer, so you don't really need to be "in the zone," as it were. Just enjoy the experience and have some fun with your daughters, leave the MP3 player at home.

4. The cornstarch is going to get in your nose and mouth. It doesn't taste good, but it's harmless. Do not panic, and instead marvel at the profoundly gross Rorschach inkblot you produce the first (and second, and fifth) time you all blow your noses after the race.

5. Bring backup shoes, bags to contain the colorful shoes and socks, and baby wipes. Put down a sheet or towels to protect the car seats. Take off your race shoes and socks and wipe down your arms and legs as best you can before getting in the car.

EDITED TO ADD!

Get there early, enjoy a good breakfast beforehand, and hydrate!
  • AnnaVee84
    AnnaVee84 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    thanks for the all the tips, esp protecting the car seats on the way back, wouldn't have thought about that!
    running the one in Vegas next weekend!!! :love:
  • curvykim78
    Options
    Yeah, i really need to protect th car seats too, as mine are blck...although that would make an interesting selling point when I go to trade it in soon! LOL
  • ScubaAmyMN
    ScubaAmyMN Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I figured whatever I wore would be rainbow colored, even the shoes, but that's okay, kind of a fun reminder. :)

If you want to actually preserve the color on your clothes, do an online search for how to do it. I looked it up last year (but ended up not doing it), and it was something like spraying the shirt with vinegar?

They didn't give out sunglasses at the one I did, but I bought some plastic white-framed ones at Target ahead of time (went along with the whole "wear white" theme).

I tied my key to my shoelace and put my phone in a Ziploc, but left everything else in the car. I took my phone out multiple times to take pictures, and it was fine. I tried to wipe my fingers off on any semi-clean piece of fabric before doing too much with it. They had professional pictures that we could buy, but I'm SO glad I had my camera. I love the pictures I took.

In addition to covering your car seats, either change shirts before driving, or bring something to cover the seatbelt. I did a good job covering the seats, but didn't think about the seatbelt ... until I got to work the next morning and noticed a diagonal stripe on my shirt. ANYTHING you touch will likely get color on it - kind of a funny reminder for a couple days though.

Prepare for a lot of fun and nothing resembling a "race." People wear goofy clothes, stop and pose along the route, roll in the road, do cartwheels, etc. I agree with the poster who said to not wear headphones - it's a pretty social thing and it's fun to take it all in. I hope you love it!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, forgot to mention protecting car seats!

People parked near us had a leaf blower and blew clouds of color off of each other before they drove off. Seemed to work well! :bigsmile:
  • EricaRuns27
    EricaRuns27 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the color run tomorrow!!!! Eeekkkk! :).

Can't wait!
  • LJCannon
    Options
    :drinker: Good LUCK!!! We will be waiting to hear all about it!!!
  • curvykim78
    Options
    Oh yeah, forgot to mention protecting car seats!

People parked near us had a leaf blower and blew clouds of color off of each other before they drove off. Seemed to work well! :bigsmile:

HAHA That just paints a funny picture in itself!!
  • athenawho
    Options
    I just signed up for The Color Run in Austin May 4th! I think I have enough for a team (yay!)

I wear prescription glasses (but I have prescription sunglasses), does the color obstruct your view?

Also, this is my first 5k, and I am training, but any suggests for a pre-race breakfast? Like carb heavy or go for more protein and eat carbs after the race? I have no idea....
  • LJCannon
    Options
    The color shouldn't bother your vision - Maybe for a Second when you are in the actual cloud but that is all. I wear prescription glasses, but I bought cheap plastic Sunglasses for the race just because they And My Clothes were White. The color did not stick to the Glasses or obstruct the Lenses at all.
    :drinker: I can't give you any advice on the Pre Race Breakfast, because I do it "All Wrong".
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Again - PROTECT THE CAR SEATS!

I had a horrible morning the morning of my first Color Run, and so wasn't thinking clearly at all... brought no change of clothes, nothing to protect my nice leather seats... yeah, it was bad. Like 3 hours of hard scrubbing then reconditioning the leather... ugh.

Also, to my understanding
    "THE COLOR RUN" has NO "wet" stations
    "COLOR ME RAD" does have "wet" stations.

So depending on which one you're doing, you might want to be more/less careful with whatever you bring. We did "The Color Run" with only our phones in a ziploc bag. Took pictures of each other with the bag still on the camera, maybe taking it out once or twice. Did fine, any color that got in there wiped right off.

We didn't protect our eyes, and we did fine. However, during the "color cloud" at the end of the run, which is like a giant paint fight and everyone throws the powder at each other, I wish I had had something. I ended up getting purple thrown RIGHT into my face and it got all in my eyes and mouth. I had purple teeth for a week. Lovely. But it was still SO much fun.
  • athenawho
    Options
    I need my glasses to see but my prescription sunglasses were pretty cheap (i got them online).

I guess I'm pretty nervous since this is my first 5k, I don't know what to prepare for (other than protecting my car interiors ;) )

I'm doing The Color Run, so by "wet" stations I assume you mean there is no one handing out water on the course?
  • LJCannon
    Options
    :drinker: At the "Wet Stations" they mix the Corn Starch with Water and Spray you as you run by. If it is a HOT Day it feels GREAT!!

Don't worry about this!! The Color Run is a Perfect "Race" for your First 5K. No one is timing it or fretting about how fast you go or don't go. They are all there to have Fun. Lots of Familys Walk/Run it together and LOTS of Funny Costumes.
  • charmarbobar
    charmarbobar Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Bump to read the advice as I'll be running my first in August too!
  • MyChance2011
    MyChance2011 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first one in March (well not a 'Color Run', but something similar) and there are lots of things I did not think about! Thanks for the advice!