Anyone out there using Stevia???

Options
I just bought Stevia and as I just read another post about Crystal light, I myself am trying to get off of the Splenda. Is the Stevia safe?? is it really natural?? If anyone uses it please let me know...

Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    You have to read the box to be sure it is just stevia.
    I use one with sugar and stevia because of the after taste. I have purchased different brands but found the ingredients included chemicals.......just what I am trying to get away from.

from what I have read it is a natural sweetener used for 100s of years in other countries. I know someone who has had a plant in their yard for years.......they were from Columbia.
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to use Sun Crystals, which is a blend of sugar and stevia. But there is a terrible aftertaste and I find myself reaching for the stash of Equal packets I tucked in the back of the cabinet instead. I suppose if you can get past the taste it's a fine alternative.
  • slimkitty
    slimkitty Posts: 418
    Options
    I use Stevia on occasion. I don't care very much for the taste, but I do like the vanilla creme flavored stevia in a glass of cold seltzer. I also use it for my kids lemonade, or I add a few drops in their pancakes so we don't need to use maple syrup. When baking cookies or muffins I cut the sugar drastically and add a few drops of stevia. They come out pretty good as long as there are other flavorings like vanilla and cinnamon to counteract the aftertaste.
  • WonderNoodle
    WonderNoodle Posts: 549
    Options
    i like truvia, but i'm not one that usually taste the "aftertaste" of artificial sweeteners. truvia is GREAT to me.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    I like the pure stevia but you could try Truvia. It looks and tastes so much like regular sugar. No crazy after taste either.

The one thing about Stevia is the amount. There is a fine line between sweet and bitter. Try using 1/4 of what you would normally. If you would normally put a whole packet of Equal in your coffee or tea, try 1/4 of a packet of stevia. If it still is not sweet enough, put just a touch more until you get it where you want it. More is not better with STevia.

D
  • CJtex66
    CJtex66 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I dont eat anything processed, nor with chemicals. Stevia, is the pure plant, truvia is the processed plant. I only use stevia in my cereal. I dont care for the flavor of whole grain cereal and honey doesnt work well. The only other sweetners I use is honey and Sucanat. So far I have lost 75lbs since last june and am now teaching classes at church on how to do this.
  • SandyBeach55
    Options
    I use stevia and get it from the health food store, a smallish bottle runs around 15 dollars. but you need a quarter tsp or less. if you use too much it has a licorish after tase that is just nasty. I can't bake with it much, just sweeten tea and drinks. anything in excess is bad. so be careful
  • snookeroo
    snookeroo Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I've tried them all. Really!

All of the Stevias had an after taste. Stevia in the Raw had a very strong after taste. Pruvevia and Truvia were a little better with Purevia being the lesser of two evils, if you know what I mean.
    The one I finally decided on was not stevia at all. But xylitol. It's called IDEAL No Calorie Sweetener. It has no after taste at all. It's just like sugar. Xylitol actually has health benefits.
    I wrote to all of the above mentioned companies and they sent me free samples and coupons. Like I said, I tried them all.
    Do yourself a favor and give IDEAL a try!
  • beMyself
    beMyself Posts: 29
    Options
    Yes I use it in my tea everyday. It's great.
  • Thinwithin2010
    Thinwithin2010 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Thankyou everyone!! I learned alot from all of you....:drinker:
  • slimkitty
    Options

All of the Stevias had an after taste. Stevia in the Raw had a very strong after taste. Pruvevia and Truvia were a little better with Purevia being the lesser of two evils, if you know what I mean.
    The one I finally decided on was not stevia at all. But xylitol. It's called IDEAL No Calorie Sweetener. It has no after taste at all. It's just like sugar. Xylitol actually has health benefits.
    I wrote to all of the above mentioned companies and they sent me free samples and coupons. Like I said, I tried them all.

I have the KAL brand xylitol. It has 10 calories per teaspoon. I am curious whether the IDEAL sweetener is not pure Xylitol, but a mixture of Xylitol and other ingredients.
  • snookeroo
    snookeroo Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options

I have the KAL brand xylitol. It has 10 calories per teaspoon. I am curious whether the IDEAL sweetener is not pure Xylitol, but a mixture of Xylitol and other ingredients.

It's a blend of Xylitol, dextrose, maltodextrin and a very small amount of sucralose for added sweetness.
  • slimkitty
    Options

It's a blend of Xylitol, dextrose, maltodextrin and a very small amount of sucralose for added sweetness.

Thank you for checking the ingredients.