Nike + I'm lost..plz help!!!

Options
I was very intrigued by the Nike +Ipod app, so after googling on Web, I thought all I needed was a pair of Nike+ shoes, but now am very disappointed after buying a pair because it seems that I still need a sensor. I wasted more time searching on the Web, just to get very confused. Do I need a sportband or a fuelband, also? Does the sensor only work with GPS so you need wi-fi while working out? I only have the Ipod touch and the walking track does not have Wifi.

Also, I had the New Balance N4 hrm and watch, but even after changing the battery, I can't get it to work. I'm trying to figure out shoud l buy another hrm or will this Nike+ technology take the place.

Please help because I don't want to keep buying stuff, just to find out I need to spend more money, especially on something that just intrigued me and I wanted to explore the technology more.

A little information about my exercising/fitness level: I love using the wii fit and dance games for exercise and I work out on the treadmill and the walking track. I mostly just walk/jog. I am not a runner and just really want to be able to calcuate how many calories I burn and the distance when I am not on the treadmill.

Replies

• stephanie40403
    stephanie40403 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    look for nike+ running app, I am pretty sure that one doesnt need the sensor

sensors are cheap on Ebay. I bought mine there over a year ago for 15 bucks and its still going strong as ever!
  • stephanie40403
    stephanie40403 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    nike+ gps app does require the sensor
  • kats3boys
    Options
    Check out the Nike + website and it will explain the Nike options. The shoes have an area to insert the sensor , you still need a watch or app to read the sensor.

I have the Nike Fuel band which counts, steps, movement, calories and something called fuel points. ( points make no translation other than to compare against fuel points)

The Nike fuel band works with Apple .

Another option maybe the fitbit, it tracks movement and syncs with both apple and myfitnesspal
  • wizzyg
    wizzyg Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If you have a iPod Touch you only need a sensor and to download the nike + app from the App Store. You don't need to get the Nike + shoes. Amazon sells a pouch that the sensor goes in, you can use that. Next under the settings on your iPod touch you will link your sensor with the app so when you run the nike + app it will then sync with the sensor. The Nike + App will upload your data every time you sync your touch to iTunes.
  • jlbryant2
    jlbryant2 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the help. WizzyG does the app require wi-fi to work? I am concerned because the walking track does not have wi-fi. I have read almost everything on the website, which is why I am probably on information overload, and could not find if it requires wi-fi to work.
  • GlowstickGirl
    GlowstickGirl Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    In regards to your HRM, do you pretty much slobber on it (gross, I know) before you put it on? If it isn't wet enough, it won't be accurate. I've had this problem. Also, how do you wear your strap? Do you wear it settled right underneath "the girls"? If it isn't in the proper position or if it isn't on tight enough it won't work. I just bought mine a week ago and now that I worked out the kinks, I really like it. Hopefully I could help!
  • jlbryant2
    jlbryant2 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    yes to both and I know it is very gross but it seems to work great after that :), I position it right under them and have had excellent results. I absolutely loved mine and was extremely disappointed when it quit working (but I've had it for several years so I guess I can't complain}.
  • Fredrigo
    Fredrigo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Your question has several pieces with different answers. If you have an iPhone or a newer iPod Nano you do not need a sensor.

The GPS version of the app only works on the iPhone.

The Nano comes with the app built in and it will track speed, steps, and calories but doesn't "map" where you ran.

The sensor is for older iPods and basically provides the hardware built into the last 3 generations of Nanos.

If you don't want to run with your iphone I advice you to just purchase a nano as I mentioned you don't even need the newest model.

The fuel band is a stand alone product it's good for tracking your exertion over the course of the day but it doesn't play music and if you wore it with an iPod at the same time you'd be counting the same exercise twice.

Feel free to message you if you have any other questions between my wife and myself we have over a dozen iPods of different generations and my wife got the fuel band for Christmas (she's a marathon runner so she loves running gadgets).
  • wizzyg
    wizzyg Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I think things need to be explained a little more in depth. For sensors you have to have the foot sensor its a little red/white oval shaped disc that goes under the insole of a nike plus shoe, or in a pouch on a non nike plus shoe. it usallys ships with an additional sensor for older ipods that don't have nike plus built-in that is white and square shaped. If you have a never iPod touch or iPhone you don't need that sensor. Nike plus does not require wi-fi to work as it will upload your runs when you sync with your home computer by USB. GPS is only if you have a iPhone or and Android phone, the app provide gps info on your runs. To me the fuelband is a waste of money, just get a fitbit one on craiglist for about $50.
  • Fredrigo
    Fredrigo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I think things need to be explained a little more in depth. For sensors you have to have the foot sensor its a little red/white oval shaped disc that goes under the insole of a nike plus shoe, or in a pouch on a non nike plus shoe. it usallys ships with an additional sensor for older ipods that don't have nike plus built-in that is white and square shaped. If you have a never iPod touch or iPhone you don't need that sensor. Nike plus does not require wi-fi to work as it will upload your runs when you sync with your home computer by USB. GPS is only if you have a iPhone or and Android phone, the app provide gps info on your runs. To me the fuelband is a waste of money, just get a fitbit one on craiglist for about $50.

I concur.
  • tammymusic1
    tammymusic1 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    i know this is a an older thread but I am confused as well. I have an ipod touch 4th gen do I need the sensor thing for my shoe in order to track my runs???