Any clue as to how many calories this will be? Guesstimate?

Options
First of all, HAPPY MARDI GRAS!!! We're going to one of the parades tomorrow and this will be the first time in forever that I won't be drinking since I learned that one ounce of Malibu rum is 51 calories. Just not worth it.
Everyone grills while waiting on the parade to roll through so that's what we'll be doing. I can pretty much figure out the calories (or come pretty darn close) to what we'll be eating tomorrow but the burgers is where I'm stumped. The meat we are using is venison mixed with beef fat so it doesn't have a gamey taste. It's really lean. But my husband has decided to mix ground bacon in the meat so it's like a bacon burger. The patties will be about 4 oz. each. Bear with me since I'm new here but I have no idea how to even begin to figure out the calories for the burger. Especially since he decided to throw the ground bacon in with it!

Replies

• DL21Smith
    DL21Smith Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way..If I'm cooking from a reliable recipe and it has all of the nutrient facts and serving sizes I'm good. I run into problems when I cook things myself. I have no idea how to enter in my calories. I've thought of investing in a small food scale. Good luck!
  • Yetibite
    Yetibite Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Not too bad. So lets say he used one pound of beef (90% lean?) and one pound of venison. then how many strips of bacon? Google each ingredient and add them all together, and divide by how many patties it makes. (I looked them up and the beef and venison would be 1,600 calories for about 2 pounds, one of each.) I don't know the calories in the bacon you use. So if the 3 meats all total = lets say 2,000 calories and the patties are 4 oz that would be 8 patties. so 2,000 / 8 = 250 calories per burger. I hope this helps. Have a great time!
  • Tecia1970
    Tecia1970 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Not too bad. So lets say he used one pound of beef (90% lean?) and one pound of venison. then how many strips of bacon? Google each ingredient and add them all together, and divide by how many patties it makes. (I looked them up and the beef and venison would be 1,600 calories for about 2 pounds, one of each.) I don't know the calories in the bacon you use. So if the 3 meats all total = lets say 2,000 calories and the patties are 4 oz that would be 8 patties. so 2,000 / 8 = 250 calories per burger. I hope this helps. Have a great time!
    Thanks! That sounds about right! I have to stick to my calories tomorrow since I'm having a free day with my kids for lunch Monday. I have been so good this Mardi Gras season...I have not even had one single bite of King Cake even though they had some in the break room at least twice this week!
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
    Did you try the recipe builder?
  • Tecia1970
    Options
    No because all I know is that when we took the deer to the meat company, we told them to mix it with beef fat so it wouldn't have a gamey taste. All I know is that it is really lean. It's so lean that I can't make meatloaf with it because it would be too dry.
  • Sherry0000
    Options
    There is a receipe builder tab on here and you can enter the ingredients and it will figure up your calories and nutrition information.
  • imaginaryproduct
    Options
    I don't understand how the resulting can be lean if you are mixing it with beef FAT?
  • damiannikodem
    damiannikodem Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    ok, if this only happens once a year, here's what you are going to do, count it as a cheat day. enter into mfp 1 meal at 10,000 cal titled cheat day,

After that point forget about it, dont touch mfp for the test of the day, enjoy yourself. don't stress, this happens once per year, just don't let it happen more than once a year.

the next morning 'finish' the day off in mfp, use the "you will weigh xxx in 5 weeks" message as motivation for the rest of the week. Hell even the rock has cheat days

( tumblr_meijftcNTc1qg1vd7.jpg to quote the site that this came from: "After over 100 days of eating clean, The Rock ate a cheat meal consisting of 12 pancakes, four “double-dough” pizzas, and 21 brownies." )
  • Yetibite
    Yetibite Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I always get the extra lean meats. If you mix finely chopped onion into the hamburger mix before cooking the moister in the onion keeps the burger patty from getting dry and it adds flavor too. I also do this with my meat loaf + I grate in some zucchini and it is never dry either.
  • Tecia1970
    Options
    I don't understand how the resulting can be lean if you are mixing it with beef FAT?
    That's what my husband calls it but the meat ends up being very lean. I cook it so I should know that I see hardly any grease in the pan. Maybe they don't use a lot of it...just enough so that the deer meat doesn't have a gamey taste.