Weight Loss Plateau

Options
Hi, I'm a 21 year old female. I'm 5'5" and weigh 150 lbs (approximately). When I started (two years ago) I weighed about 170. It's now been a year since I lost any weight. I eat about 1200 calories per day (sometimes less sometimes more), and I was exercising regularly (about 5 or 6 times a week, for an average of about 70 minutes, sometimes less, sometimes more, never longer than 2 1/2 hours total in a day) for about six months, but a few weeks ago I stopped. I know I should continue working out, but the thing is, after spending all this time at the gym and STILL not losing weight I began to get these really horrible feelings of sadness, self-loathing, and worthlessness. I would often, while working out, thinking, "Why do I even bother? Looks like I'll always be fat no matter what I do." It feels as though I'm constantly studying for a test and consistently getting a C-. Several times I had to stop in the middle of the workout b/c these feelings would get so overwhelming I'd start to cry. I tried going back to the gym a few more times but I would just get so depressed every single time, I would cry for hours afterward. I know, it sounds really stupid.
I really just want to lose a little bit more weight. I originally wanted to weigh 135 lbs. but at this point I would be happy with any weight loss at all, even just 5 lbs. All the research I've done suggests I should cut calories or extend my workout, but I kept adding on more and more exercise and still couldn't get the scale below 150 lbs. I also bought a body tape measure and I haven't gotten any smaller, either. I've cut a LOT of stuff out of my diet, too. I drink only water and herbal tea now, and I'm almost entirely vegan. I rarely even crave junk food anymore, and if I'm pretty sure my appetite has shrunk because I feel full really easily now. What I'm saying is, I've developed pretty good self-control with food, even when surrounded by junk food, out to eat, or at my parents' house for the holidays. What else should I do? I'd like to go back to exercising but I just can't deal with how depressed it makes me. I really hate my body and it makes me very unhappy with myself. I could really use some advice. Thanks very much.

Replies

• kirianna55
    kirianna55 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Try going to maintenance calories for a while. You might again a few pounds right at first but it will come off. You need to shock your system and and make sure all of the hormones in your body are in balance. If you diet too long at such a low number you may produce less of the hormones you need. Try maintenance for a few weeks and then drop down to eating either -20% tdee or between Tdee and bmr. This will make it so you are more likely to lose fat rather than muscle. Eating at such a low number causes serious muscle destruction from what I have learned. This ends up with people being "skinny fat:" where they look good with clothes on but not without. Remember: Weight loss is a journey not a race.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    You need a full diet break- read this:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html

It will take at least a couple weeks and you can probably expect to put on a couple lbs in that time. Your hormones are screwed up, and you need to take the time to reset. A couple lbs might sound scary when you've been working so hard for so long, but it's inevitable at this point. Take the time, eat, rest, and before you know it you'll be able to take those couple added lbs back off and get the scale moving again. Good luck to you! I know this probably isn't what you want to hear, but it WILL work.
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Try going to maintenance calories for a while. You might again a few pounds right at first but it will come off. You need to shock your system and and make sure all of the hormones in your body are in balance. If you diet too long at such a low number you may produce less of the hormones you need. Try maintenance for a few weeks and then drop down to eating either -20% tdee or between Tdee and bmr. This will make it so you are more likely to lose fat rather than muscle. Eating at such a low number causes serious muscle destruction from what I have learned. This ends up with people being "skinny fat:" where they look good with clothes on but not without. Remember: Weight loss is a journey not a race.

well said... and please try it.^^ good luck to you!
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    don't give up. You may need to eat a bit more. Do you eat 1200 calories only? Or do you eat more on the days you work out?

I think you should eat at maintenance level for a couple weeks, to just give yourself a break. And then when you go back to cutting calories, try a higher number than 1200. Calculate your BMR and TDEE. Then eat somewhere in between those two numbers every day.

Exercise and food shouldn't make you hate your body. Is there something else going on in your life that is making you feel this way?
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Intermittent Fasting. I was in a nasty plateau for 4 months without losing anything. I changed my diet (lowered calories, tried EMTLW), changed my exercise, changed my calories - even went on a one month break and NOTHING broke the plateau.

Someone on a thread that I started with a story somewhat like yours mentioned to try Intermittent Fasting temporarily to see if it would help. I did it for 1 month (fasting twice a week for 24 hours) and I lost 6lbs.

Do your research, and there is a group on MFP for support/questions.
  • Changing_Charity
    Changing_Charity Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    bump
  • maggs155
    maggs155 Posts: 258
    Options
    Hi, I'm a 21 year old female. I'm 5'5" and weigh 150 lbs (approximately). When I started (two years ago) I weighed about 170. It's now been a year since I lost any weight. I eat about 1200 calories per day (sometimes less sometimes more), and I was exercising regularly (about 5 or 6 times a week, for an average of about 70 minutes, sometimes less, sometimes more, never longer than 2 1/2 hours total in a day) for about six months, but a few weeks ago I stopped. I know I should continue working out, but the thing is, after spending all this time at the gym and STILL not losing weight I began to get these really horrible feelings of sadness, self-loathing, and worthlessness. I would often, while working out, thinking, "Why do I even bother? Looks like I'll always be fat no matter what I do." It feels as though I'm constantly studying for a test and consistently getting a C-. Several times I had to stop in the middle of the workout b/c these feelings would get so overwhelming I'd start to cry. I tried going back to the gym a few more times but I would just get so depressed every single time, I would cry for hours afterward. I know, it sounds really stupid.
    I really just want to lose a little bit more weight. I originally wanted to weigh 135 lbs. but at this point I would be happy with any weight loss at all, even just 5 lbs. All the research I've done suggests I should cut calories or extend my workout, but I kept adding on more and more exercise and still couldn't get the scale below 150 lbs. I also bought a body tape measure and I haven't gotten any smaller, either. I've cut a LOT of stuff out of my diet, too. I drink only water and herbal tea now, and I'm almost entirely vegan. I rarely even crave junk food anymore, and if I'm pretty sure my appetite has shrunk because I feel full really easily now. What I'm saying is, I've developed pretty good self-control with food, even when surrounded by junk food, out to eat, or at my parents' house for the holidays. What else should I do? I'd like to go back to exercising but I just can't deal with how depressed it makes me. I really hate my body and it makes me very unhappy with myself. I could really use some advice. Thanks very much.
  • RockaholicMama
    RockaholicMama Posts: 786 Member
    Options

Very much this. I've had to do this a few times as I've hit two plateaus. I'm coming out of one myself. Just takes time hon. Best of luck.
  • maggs155
    maggs155 Posts: 258
    Options
    What is ur waist line measuring maybe u r all muscle but u think its fat! I would try and figure out ur actual body fat with all that working out i bet ur built like a brick **** house lol You need to check it out. I dont even really know if im at a real plateau because it hasnt even been two weeks i just was dropping like crazy and then boom so maybe i just slowed down!!! I hope so hope for me i hope u find out ur body fat because i bet ur fine with all that working out muscle weighs more than fat u know that!!!!!! :)
  • trixiemou
    trixiemou Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I have been in a plateau since October of last year. Like you I was eating only around 1200 cals per day and often, without realsiing it, not even reaching that. It looks now, fingers crossed, that my weight is starting to shift with a 2lb loss this last week.

What I actually did was increase my daily calories by 100, did this increase for one week, then increased them again the following week. Then continued doing this until I reached TDEE, which was the end of December. During this time I only gained about 3 lbs, which included Christmas indulgences. I then stayed at TDEE for about 3 weeks, After which I went for my re-set. This seems to be working.

There is a group on here, EM2WL, eat more to weigh less. Take a look, there are threads to explain TDEE etc and details of websites to check out.

It may be has a little to do with not only giving your body a rest but also your mind, less to worry about, hopefully.

You have done so well so far, well done you!!!
  • thekokapelli
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I'll try to follow your advice! =)
  • thekokapelli
    Options
    You need a full diet break- read this:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html

It will take at least a couple weeks and you can probably expect to put on a couple lbs in that time. Your hormones are screwed up, and you need to take the time to reset. A couple lbs might sound scary when you've been working so hard for so long, but it's inevitable at this point. Take the time, eat, rest, and before you know it you'll be able to take those couple added lbs back off and get the scale moving again. Good luck to you! I know this probably isn't what you want to hear, but it WILL work.

I'm sorry, I did read the article you posted, but I don't quite understand. Could you explain what you mean by my hormones being screwed up? Can I fix them?