New Rules of Lifting for Women

Options
I am currently reading this book and keen to give it a try. I am slightly worried though. Is this something I can realistically do myself in the gym or would I need to get some PT sessions to supervise me? Am worried that I will get it wrong and hurt myself, etc. I can't really afford a trainer but have no real experience of "proper" lifting. What's your advice?

Replies

• reerazzle
    reerazzle Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • Marquism123
    Marquism123 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Bump again!
  • sarahmotes
    sarahmotes Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think you need some hands-on training in lifting & safety. It's intimidating to lift when you don't know the machines or proper form and you can hurt yourself easily. I started lifting seriously this year and I've had to ask for help several times because the machines aren't always clear, and as you get into heavier weights there are more dangers. It's worth doing, though. This does not mean that you need to do all your lifting with a trainer - I asked a trainer to teach me how to do it myself, and that has worked well.
  • katiedid1226
    katiedid1226 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I'm on my 2nd time with this book, and I love it.

BUT, form is crucial, so I look in the mirrors at the gym to see what I'm doing.

I also have looked up the different lifts on youtube to watch an explanation, so I know what to look for. Deadlift & squats are the ones that I had to really pay attention to.

You don't have to have any experience weight lifting to start this book....just desire & motivation.

Get started and best of luck!
  • chelazar88
    chelazar88 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Google them, look on you tube (tons there) or post a thing on Facebook to see if any of your guy friends can help!
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    If you are feeling unsure then book one session with a trainer - to make sure you have the correct form for all the exercises and then you will feel more confident. You don't really need more than that. Just make sure your trainer is someone who knows about using free weights - you don't want some idiot trying to discourage you and pushing barbie weights on you (it does happen sadly).

Also if you are in a gym ask one of the other people lifting for advice if you are worried. Most will check your form etc.

I started this book on Monday - and watched loads of you tube vids and got advice from a friend who dead lifts - I'm starting out at home, and that really helped - I also started with low weights while I work on my form - not that I don't feel it though - my poor legs are sooooo sore today (in a good way) but It means I'm doing something right :wink:

Good luck :drinker: