personal trainers at the gym...worth the money?

Options
So I want to get into weight lifting at the gym but I have zero experience and have no clue what to do. Watching videos on YouTube is not an option because that is not my style of learning. I was thinking about buying a few personal training sessions in hopes they could help me learn the basics but I'm wondering if they are actually worth the money.

Opinions?

Replies

• F1uffy123
    F1uffy123 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I would honestly have a chat with them first. See if they offer a free taster session. Try a few different trainers.

I'm paying for pt now and didnt do my research first and she's not really helping me achieve my goals as her expertise is not lifting.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Depends. Normally I'd say they are a good idea, but most of the personal training I see them doing is a bunch of bullspit exercises. I mean, I do some of that stuff too, especially as part of my metabolic work, but I rarely ever see the PTs at my gyms showing somebody how to squat, deadlift, or bench. It's a bunch of light weights while balancing on an unstable surface, which always strikes me as dangerous and less effective than a sturdy base.

To sum it up, if you can find a PT to run you thru the basics, that's well worth the money. But the basics are just that; basic. You can easily learn the moves from a combo of youtube and other people at your gym. But if the PT insists on some whacked out program thats all light dumbbells while sitting on a ball, save your $$$
  • GasnotGas
    GasnotGas Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I recently tried to renew my oversize program at the GYM only to be told I would need to hire a personal trainer. I did, but only to check I was doing everything right, I booked the bear minimum half hour.

During the consultation he was clearly disappointed I didn't want to pay for his services and a weekly basis to "help me archive my goal" but offered a (slightly half hearted) program, slightly changing my existing one. I paid £30 for this "service".

Some good did come out of it though, he told me to slow down my weight reps, and to perform 3 x 12 of every instead of the 2 x12 I was doing already. I have noticed the results of training weights slower straight away.

I know this was just my experience but take with a pinch of salt any advice on any weird fanged routine your offered, stick to doing the basics correctly and work from there. and please don't pay someone £40 and hour to shout "C'mon, C'mon one more!!, keep going!!" at you as I commonly see in my GYM.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I had a personal trainer for 2 years, and frankly I think it was the best money I ever spent.

Without them, I don't think I ever would have started weights or done them as regularly as I did.
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I don't have a personal trainer, but I go to Pilates studio with brilliant trainers. I used to do Pilates on my own, from books and videos, but when I started there they picked my bad habits off, one by one. After more than two years they still keep correcting postures and stances, while monitoring my progress, finding alternate ways of doing exercizes if they hurt, or ways to add difficulty or effort if I am in a beginner's class - which by now is a bit easy for me. Once in a while I will pay extra for an hour or two one on one, to help me work out problem areas like my lower back/hips and very weak arms and shoulders - I need the extra attention to avoid injury.

Having others comment on, monitor and correct the way I work out has been an incredible help to me. And while this isn't heavy or focused lifting I am growing slowly and consistently stronger all over, more balanced and more flexible, and my back hurts so much less, it's a miracle.
  • notthatthis
    Options
    Opinions are like *kitten*.

What a PT should do

strength
    endurance
    balance
    flexibility
    aerobic improvement
    Account for what you want your body to do, work wise and sports wise - commonly called functional training
    Total conditioning

If you want to bodybuild, find a bodybuilder
    want to power lift, find a powerlifter

What people want
    lose weight, minimum effort
    gain muscle, minimum effort
    something, not really sure
    run somewhere for some reason
    look good on the beach, minimum effort

you have a great starting point, lifting properly - best advice google "Olympic lifting clubs - insert area here"

edit - just searched and quite alot of hits within 40 miles
  • jsan5933
    Options
    i had a personal trainer for 3 years and it was the best money i have ever spent on myself. i saw him anywhere from 1-3 times a week. i sacrificed other things like going out, eating junk food etc to do it. he was fantastic and taught me about nutrition, exercise but also he coaches elite athletes (i am not one!) and a lot about how athletes think, how they treat their bodies, how they manage with injuries and pretty much challenged my mindset. i now consider him to be a brother and see him all the time at the gym, but after 3 years it was incredible what he taught me and i knew i could go on my own. i've referred many people to him and will continue to do so.

if you have the money do it, if you don't, i would suggest at least starting with a program like jamie eason's live fit which is a 12 week program from bodybuilding.com and it teaches you how to eat, how to work out, and how to get lean. there are videos on how to use the machines at the gym and how to use free weights. there is LOTS of support and i think about a million people have finished the program.
  • BadAzzBea
    Options
    IMO yes. It was the best investment I ever made.
  • damiannikodem
    damiannikodem Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Depends. Normally I'd say they are a good idea, but most of the personal training I see them doing is a bunch of bullspit exercises. I mean, I do some of that stuff too, especially as part of my metabolic work, but I rarely ever see the PTs at my gyms showing somebody how to squat, deadlift, or bench. It's a bunch of light weights while balancing on an unstable surface, which always strikes me as dangerous and less effective than a sturdy base.

To sum it up, if you can find a PT to run you thru the basics, that's well worth the money. But the basics are just that; basic. You can easily learn the moves from a combo of youtube and other people at your gym. But if the PT insists on some whacked out program thats all light dumbbells while sitting on a ball, save your $$$

I have a PT that I see when I need pointers on things, (p.s. I built a gym at home so its not a PT at a commercial gym, just a private one)..

I recall my first session with him, I came in looking for upper body strength excercises, he runs me though curls and just basic basics, then he's all like, oh btw, you need to know this. and spends the next half hour teaching me the basics of squats and deadlifts, fast forward 3 months later and im deadlifting 5 rep's of my lean mass. (squats not so much so because I dont have a spotter or a squat rack at home so im limited to what I feel comfortable lifting over my head.)
  • LauritaS767
    LauritaS767 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I work with a trainer a couple of times a week, though due to $$, this will be the last sessions I purchase for awhile! The trainer I currently have is the second one I have tried. If you are thinking about hiring one for some sessions, make sure to interview them first. Make sure to explain your goals in detail, and ask point blank if they can help you get to your goals. Ask them to do a couple of exercises with you (to see their teaching style), and ask if they could quickly come up with a sample workout, so you can see what they would have you do.

At the end of the day, you will be spending your hard earned $$. I wouldn't trade my trainer for the world, as he is very smart, and passionate about his fitness and his job. He also is available to answer questions, and help with anything that I'm having issues with. He does help encourage me, and shows me how strong I really am. I doubt that I would have ever deadlifted 200 lbs if it wasn't for his encouragement!
  • caroleannlight
    caroleannlight Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Yes - IMO best money I have spent. Works around my injuries / helping to even up strength in R/L arms etc. Changes my programme regularly. I am starting to do more complex lifts now but I would not have got to this stage on my own IMO. I see my PT once a week and follow her programme 2-3 times per week on top as well as swimming.
  • sayling1961
    Options
    I just started out myself with losing weight and since it is winter, I thought what better time to join the gym? A motivator for me was the fact that my son already was a member so why not?
    But to answer your question, I would say if you are going to go to a gym, find out if they offer free sessions if you join, Thats what my gym did. I get 3 half hour sessions free so I get that one on one time and an excercise program set up personally for me to help achieve my goals. Probably one of the best decisions I have made with regards to my weight loss and motivation. Most gyms have special offers or incentives when you join. Good Luck!
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    My experience is that if you want someone to actually teach you how to lift, then they are a waste of money. If you need someone else to motivate you through an ever changing "routine" then sure, spend your money.
  • SWFLGUY
    Options
    Most gyms will have a trainer that can show you how to use the equipment. But in 5 years of going to the gym I have not seen one single person appear to benefit from using a personal trainer - they are as fat and out of shape today as they were when they started. Getting in shape, building muscle and getting strong is something you have to be motivated to do on your own. The best advice I could give is find a buddy to work out with - someone who you respect and admire. IMHO.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Proper form is essential for injury free workouts. A good trainer find ways to motivate you to reach your goals. I have had to take classes and some of them were excellent.
  • tndejong
    tndejong Posts: 463
    Options
    i go to the ymca, basically a gym with tons of extras. they have an indoor track, two pools, classes, the works. with the membership, they have wellness coaches. we have a program called activtrax. you meet with the wellness coach and they do an assessment. then the computer will generate a program for you. i have an all over body toning and ab workout that i do 3 days a week. i JUST started a week ago. you meet up with the coach every 2 weeks. on the site you print out your workouts. when you log what you do, it will ask you if the weights set were ok and if the activity is easy and hard. i feel the difference in my arms. the ab workouts are pretty hard too. i have a bigger stomach and have been losing some there with the cardio too. so im not sure if the ab routines are working yet. but i figured, what the heck. ill give it the 12 weeks and see what happens. but this is giving me a good starting point and getting me over my fear being in the weight room too.

whether its a wellness coach or an actual trainer. i think it is a good idea to get one. i think they would give you a good starting point. and over time you can add or stop things depending on your goals. and over time you can talk with people in the weight training areas to get pointers on it. it just seems a bit overwhelming at first cause the equipment is foreign. but we cant just do cardio forever.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I go to the Y, the trainers I see there teach people really weird stuff and I have never seen them train anyone on lifting free weights.

I was contemplating a trainer, but I would have to go to a "Real" gym to find one. I'd suggest the same.

I recently bought Starting Strength and it walks you through proper form on the major movements. I know you said youtube isn't your thing, but you can get a basic idea from watching Rippetoe on there.

Look for body cues when lifting. (heels on the ground, etc)
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I have had two personal trainers that were pretty awesome. Due to a move and finances, I had to quit going.

I tried to pick up a trainer again a couple of years later at a different gym. After 4 weeks of absolutely NO progress, I changed to somebody else. She wasn't too great either. She would charge me for a session of just 'talking' or would finish her breakfast on MY time, so my session would be 15-20 minutes... or would be talking to other traines while I sat waiting for her to tell me what to do next. She was a waste of my time and money.

Would I get another one in the future? Possibly. But never again where I have to sign up for 'packages' that are hundreds of dollars to cancel.
  • julianpoutram
    julianpoutram Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    If you can find a good one. There are alot of very useless PT's out there! :S
  • Kattamer81
    Options
    Yes, yes, yes! I'm so glad I made the decision to see a personal trainer! She's helped me learn the equipment at the gym and how it will effect my body...also is helping me target areas of my body that need the most work.

Also, most gyms offer one free session...so I'd look into that.