Any successful loss in body fat those aged 35-45?

Options
JAT74
JAT74 Posts: 1,078 Member
If so how did you do it? I am currently 38 years old, 145lbs with around 31% fat and want to get to 20% or below. I'm eating just above my BMR at 1500 cals net most days and working out 6 days a week doing a combination of cardio and weights burning off 350-650 through exercise.

I am trying to eat below 100g carbs most days although sometimes its a little higher and at least 120-140g protein but after 5 weeks on MFP not seeing significant results. I used to work out 2-3 days a week doing mainly just cardio before joining MFP and I ate less protein.

I want to start progressing more quickly with the fat loss but not sure if age is against me out if I should be making further changes to what I'm eating like reducing my calories or starting to add supplements to get to where I want to be. At the moment I use protein shakes to try and increase protein intake but I can't afford more than 1 per day and seem to be struggling to eat all the protein I need (goal set to 35%). Most of my carbs are from wholegrains and veggies.

Any tips or success stories will be much appreciated.

Replies

• JAT74
    Options
    Bump
  • GasnotGas
    GasnotGas Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hiya, I'm 38. I think your already doing the right stuff, it's just going to take time. I'm stuck at a point where I am really paying attention to my protein and Carb intake and my diet in genral, the only difference iI have noticed from taking in more protein is that I have less muscle ache after the gym.

But for what it's worth last year I dropped from107 Kg (235 pounds) in Jan to 95 Kg (209 pounds) making a few very small changes.

trying to do at least some oversize 3 times a week (a 20min walk in the local park is better than nothing).

No drinking alcohol through the week.

No fizzy drinks (diet versions just make me crave the real thing) .

no fatty canteen food at work (took my own lunch in).

No crappy vending machine coffee with the powdered creamer.

No crap from the vending machine at work

smaller portions of food.

This I guess is the basics (or my basics, it worked for me) but shifting this final 10Kg is slow going hence why I joined MFP.

Would also be interested to hear any success stories from people in my age group.
  • JAT74
    Options
    Yeah I'm pretty much doing the same thing. I've cut down on my caffeine intake as I used to have 2 coffees plus 3 cups of tea and 2 diet cokes every day! I used to use artificial sweetner in everything but now I have 1 coffee per day and then green tea after that. I only use skimmed milk in my coffee and have cut out the sweetner completely. I have one of my teas with honey if I feel I need it. I've pretty much cut out fizzy drinks and am drinking more water and I only drink alcohol once or twice a week at weekends.

I have also been logging everything and trying to make healthier choices so I think that's why I'm feeling frustrated.
  • hendinerik
    hendinerik Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Hi Jat74, I am 40 and I have gone from 25% body fat (April 2012) to below 18% fat and lost over 25lbs. First on the exercise front, strength or resistance training goes a long way in this regard. When I started - first few months I just did cardio and ate "cleaner" and saw loss but realized I also wanted strength to not just get more "skinny fat". So in July I began with a trainer 1x a week to show me a good routine I could do on my own, and I would do that routine the other 2x a week. Even if you can't afford a trainer then you can look up some of this stuff online and really even just one time someone can show you a sample routine.

My rule 3x a week strength training, and if possible 3-5x a week cardio. Keep in mind that strength training or resistance training doesn't even have to mean weights (though that helps) - things like Push Ups, plank position, crunchers all help. I have a bunch of free weights and a routine I can do at home (I actually enjoy home more because I like privacy). And gradually increase the amounts as you progress.

Cardio can be a brisk walk - for me it was bicycling (particularly in the summer, cause it's FUN), tennis and some running, even jumping jacks or running up stairs can be quite the workout.

A couple of years back I lost a whole bunch of weight (over 20 pounds) through only cardio and I barely changed body fat percentage - this time with the incorporation of strength/resistance training the combination is great - cardio can help with the loss but strength training helps build and retain muscle to minimize muscle loss.

On nutrition and eating I also saw a nutritionist as I was pre-diabetic and was (and still am!) a SUGAR fiend with bad acid reflux. Protein and Fiber are very important, and for me personally, I need carbs to burn and fuel a good workout.
    I set about an 1800 calorie target, and as long as you eat healthy most of the time, then the occasional indulgent dinner doesn't carry as much impact. Also the tough one for a lot of people but also good for heart health is sodium.

If you want the scale to go down and weigh on a regular day then the day before I have found if i stay low on the sodium and sugar it may help.

Beyond that I think if you keep things simple in a way that works for you, like for me
    Strength train 3x a week
    Cardio 3-5x a week (the bodybuilders may disagree with me on this)
    Eat Protein and Fiber and generally healthy 80% of the time.
    have rest days - this is important because the body needs a chance to process the "work" you have done on it!

For me that has been a good key to success (meaning you will have YOUR own Simple principles to not over-complicate things).

On Protein shakes, it may sound gross, but if you just get the protein powder you can even just have it with water. I use Unjury unflavored which I ordered online (though people swear by Whey protein - I am no expert) -- and lately I put it in water and just "down it" - it's not tasty but I do it for an extra shot of protein. (I try to get over 100g per day min if possible)

This is all my non-professional opinion but the trainer and nutritionist helped me enormously in helping me go it on my own.

Good luck, and sorry for the novel!
    -- Erik
  • hendinerik
    hendinerik Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Sorry to go on but also the doctor was a big motivator - they told me back in Apr 2012 that if I didn't change I would end up with diabetes and a bunch of other problems... So that was a motivator.. I'm also expecting kids in a couple of months.
    So my point being if your motivation is really strong inside you it will give you strength to follow through with all you are trying to do.
    I love self-affirmations like "I take excellent care of my mind, my body and my health" or "I feel great, I look great and the future is wide open" - even if you don't feel this way or ate badly - if you keep repeating this to yourself every day your brain will start to listen and it has helped combat some of the "other voices" in my head that are "less than positive".

I think the mental aspect is huge in this regard...

Good luck -- hopefully not on anyone's spam list now!
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I've gone from about 30% to currently 13%. I've just been eating my caloric allowances on MFP and trying to get 120 g of protein per day. I do a mix of cardio and strength training. My goal is to get sub 10%.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    40 here and exceeded my goal weight-wise (see ticker below). Take it slow and gradual. If you have a lot to lose, you'll suffer from saggy skin if you lose weight too quickly. Just count calories aiming for TDEE-15% (estimated) and eat the foods you enjoy (cut down, not out). Think long term, think lifestyle change.
  • vanessa40
    vanessa40 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Sorry to go on but also the doctor was a big motivator - they told me back in Apr 2012 that if I didn't change I would end up with diabetes and a bunch of other problems... So that was a motivator.. I'm also expecting kids in a couple of months.
    So my point being if your motivation is really strong inside you it will give you strength to follow through with all you are trying to do.
    I love self-affirmations like "I take excellent care of my mind, my body and my health" or "I feel great, I look great and the future is wide open" - even if you don't feel this way or ate badly - if you keep repeating this to yourself every day your brain will start to listen and it has helped combat some of the "other voices" in my head that are "less than positive".

I think the mental aspect is huge in this regard...

Good luck -- hopefully not on anyone's spam list now!

Thank you so much for your post. They have really helped....
  • KittenTikka
    Options
    Hi Jat, I started out in November 2012 at 144lbs and this morning, weighed in at 123lbs. I've lost the fat around my middle (being cursed with apple-shaped tendencies) and went from a waist size of 32" to 27" (at last measurement 1wk? ago). I'm also 38 - so it's definitely possible for you to lose weight and body-fat at your age with your starting weight. Good luck and keep going :)
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    It sounds like you are on the right track. Now you have to be patient and stay the course. It took you 38 years to get the body you have now.....change takes time. One thing you will have to do is push yourself to lift heavier and train more intensely as you get stronger. Once you start to coast, your results will plateau.
  • KittenTikka
    Options
    To add - exercise-wise I only do cardio at present (a mix of walking, jogging, swimming) plus one Pilates session per week. I started off in November by monitoring and restricting calorie intake, and added in exercise in December.
  • JAT74
    Options
    Thanks guys, I had a medical a few months ago and all my stats were reading pretty much normal although I was a little low on iron and my blood sugar was also a little high although nowhere near at dangerous levels. My resting heart rate is about 80 so I'd like to get that a bit lower.

I normally do cardio at least 4-5 days a week which includes 2-3 extra cardio sessions for 30-45 minutes and I'm following Jillian Michaels Body Revolution which incorporates weights and body weight exercises 4 days a week plus the 2 days cardio. I'm not able to lift that heavy yet but I'm using 8-12 pound weights at the moment. They are all HIIT workouts and expected weight loss is 2-5lbs per week following her eating plan which I'm not doing so I know I can't expect that kind of loss as she suggests eating around 1200 cals per day and I'm eating 1500 plus exercise cals.

I normally have a protein shake every day but it only gives me 20-25 grams of protein so its still hard to get my levels up to 150 or above which with macros set to 35% is what I should be having if I exercise.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    I would eat slightly above maintenance so you can build some muscle. Muscle burns fat and takes up less space in our bodies than fat. If you're eating 1600 and burning 600 you are only fueling your body with 1000 net calories and if you keep that up your metabolism will slow down and hold onto the fat.
  • chickentunashake
    chickentunashake Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I am 38, have 6 kids. After my 6th child my BF was 28%, that was 16 months ago, now I am at 17%. I work out hard, but what cut seriously my BF was low carb high protein diet. Would not do it different way, the fat was just melting off me.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I can be done!! I'm still not where I need to be, but I have seen more than 5% reduction in my body fat since I started this a year ago. (I don't remember where it started, but my scale said mid-high 30's, and now it reads in the 20's). I know the actual percentage reading isn't accurate with a home scale, but the fact that it has been steadily decreasing is a good sign.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    1 more thing....LIFT HEAVY. The last 3 reps should be almost impossible...I'm getting excited just talking about it. Yeah Baby!!!
    Time to go lift. bye.
  • LovePBandJ
    LovePBandJ Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    45 here.

I struggled with a low cal, cardio heavy diet and the loss was slow and frustrating. Granted, I was near my goal weight and the last five or so are always the hardest. I went to a ketogenic diet (high fat, moderate protein, low carb) and focused on heavy lifting and the weight melted off. In the end, I lost more than my goal was set at and it put me back into high school weight and 19% BF.

It is a strict diet, so if you can follow your macros precisely and go without cheat meals, you may want to consider going keto for a while. There are many groups here and elsewhere on the internet about this style of dieting. Many opt to keep it as a lifestyle.
  • JAT74
    Options
    No I set 1500 as my minimum based on no exercise but when I workout I eat back my exercise cals so that net as close to 1500 as possible but have only really been eating like this for about 2 or 3 weeks and before that I was on much lower cals.

My goal weight is 118lbs but body fat is more important.

I've not heard of Ketogenic but will check it out. How low carb is it?
  • JAT74
    Options
    Checked out Ketatonic, I don't think it's for me but for those eating lower carb or Paleo how low are your carbs?

I think 25% carbs, 35% protein & 40% fat it doable for me but not sure if it will be enough. Should I try and go lower?
  • JAT74
    Options
    Bump