No diet food

Options
Why do I still get looked at funny for drinking whole milk, using butter, and eating whole eggs and not just the whites? Why do people still keep thinking that low cal this, diet that, and fake frozen unfulfilling diet food is better than real foods?

Maybe you can lose weight with those foods but can you keep it off? How do you really learn to eat if you don't eat real food and eat 100 snack pack versions of cookies? How do you teach healthy eating habits to children if all you eat is that kind of stuff.

And why for the love all that's good do people think eggs are dairy?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I live in Australia, where you can buy egg whites is you look hard enough but not easily. I cant comprehend not using the whole egg unless I'm making meringues!

I always drink skim milk, but that's a lactose intolerance thing. But otherwise - hell yeah, full flavour/fat foods. Low fat cheese - what's the point??? and who the hell ever thought it was OK to try to low-fat a brownie, I ask?
  • tndejong
    tndejong Posts: 463
    Options
    its all a mind game. people assume that because it says diet, its healthy. they have the same market for diabetics. have you ever read a label for sugar free chocolate? its sugar free, tastes bad, and loaded with carbs. but when you talk to doc, they say low carb. you grab a regular chocolate bar and its sometimes lower in carbs then the sugar free version!

the other day, my sister tried giving me a special k bar. 180 calories for this small thing. i had a vitamin loaded chocolate protein bar 3 times its size and at 170 calories. wonder who had the better deal?

have you read the labels on the frozen meals? especially the weight watchers? LOADED with sodium!
  • Shivpea
    Shivpea Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Yeah I agree! I'd rather enjoy a small amount of the real foods than not enjoy lgr amounts of the diet foods. I always make my meals from scratch and they're often much lower in cals than foods produced by the likes of Weight Watchers, who incidentally often have ingredients that I don't recognise!!
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I hate the diet industry. Hate. I think it completely ruined food and eating habits. I do partake in some "diet" foods like sugar free coffee creamer but I would rather have a little bit of good, pure food (mmm, butter!!!) than a ton of Frankenfood that is going to keep me hungry.
  • x_ItNeverEnds_x
    Options
    I'd rather use real foods not some super "diet" lab creation. I do use egg whites but I mix them with whole eggs so get more protein with out a tons of saturated fat. I was raised on skim so I can't stand the taste of whole milk or whole milk products. I use 2%, the cottage cheese I get is fat free because my favorite brand comes in fat free or whole. I prefer 1%. I use real butter.

People try to get more for less. Real food, Real nutrition.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I think that you would just buy 100 calorie snack packs forever. *shrug*

Personally there are some things that I get the "diet" version, usually things I don't care much about and don't want to spend a ton of calories on, like milk. There are also things that I do the whole food version, like eggs.

So far I'm not having any trouble keeping the weight off. I didn't change anything in my diet that I couldn't live with permanently, and I think that's more important to maintenance than whether my food choices are "low fat" or "low calorie."
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I agree. Just had a hot cross bun with melted butter on as part of my lunch, yum! I LOVE food, just eat a bit less of it these days.
  • honeylissabee
    honeylissabee Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I drink whole milk. I'll admit, I might not drink it every day, but when I'm swinging by the store on my way to work, the whole milk is sold in the little pint bottles. I can't find skim that way. I also can only get whole milk if I'm getting a drink of milk at work. However, if I go out to the store to pick up a little half-gallon of milk, I'll probably get 1% or 2%. My dad and sister drink skim, but when I started drinking milk again, I started with whole milk, and I like having a little bit of fat in my milk. I just know that buying individual whole milk bottles every day isn't very wallet-friendly, and I figure I don't need WHOLE milk every day.
  • honeylissabee
    honeylissabee Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I know of someone who freaked out that her dairy-allergic daughter was given eggs. EGGS ARE NOT DAIRY. :huh:
  • cld111
    cld111 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I swore off fat-free cheese forever some time ago. I mean, what was I thinking eating that? It tastes horrible! Anything that tastes horrible is not worth the calories, IMO.
  • SilverLotusGirl
    SilverLotusGirl Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I know we all make concessions and things like skim milk don't vex me so much but it's things like a 90 calorie browning, 100 calorie oreo crisps, or bars that aren't filling but loaded with calories. But because I don't want to base what I eat around that stuff and I don't want to call it a "diet" even if i am watching my calories and trying to limit carbs for health reasons since type 2 diabetes is common in my family, not for reasons of I read somewhere that carbs were bad, I get told I'll never lose weight and have no self control.

I think it's much better and much more a sign of control to want to construct a healthy food intake with real foods. And just for me personally, I find that using whole milk, when I can't get almond milk bc lactose hates me, for tea, using whole eggs. real cheese and real butter is much more satisfying than when i was using just egg whites.

I also blame the diet industry but i also blame people for not taking the moments to read and compare labels to look at things for themselves. I know it's easy to get swept up in the "i wanna lose weight" of it all but at the same time, I don't want to keep ingesting frankenchemicals and goodness forbid, I actually like enjoying what I eat.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    My mom used to make wafflesmputmof nasty whole wheat/oar flour/skim milk, etc. And cookies and brownies with low fat 'butter',,egg whites,mans sometimes carob mustad f chocolate.
    She used to make the BEST potatoe soup when I was little,mthen as a young adult she made it for me when I was sick.,it was gross,,she decided to be healthy and use sim milk.,or maybe it was even rice milk, it was awful

I am all for 'healthier' or even 'low fat'mchpices if that's what a person wants. But don't mess with my potato soup and desserts! Espescially when I am sick.

I don't eat egg white because I hate their taste, unless it's devils eggs.. Same with whole milk. I drink 1 or 2%. I was raised on skim milk and it,s all my tatse buds knew till I was an adult. So I stuck with it, tillmMhad kids and knew thier brains needed the fat. But I can't get use to whole milk plain.

But why look at anyone weird for eating whole eggs.. Or only eating egg whites? I don't care what others decide they fancy.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    totally agree, real food cooked from scratch is the way to go. I have semi skimmed milk and 0% greek yogurt just because thats what I like, but otherwise don't buy anything 'diet'!!! Have the full fat cheese / whole eggs etc, just balance it out with plently of veggies and healthy stuff.
    low fat usually means high sugar, sugar free means full of chemicals, and 'diet' meals are only lower cal becuase they come in such teeny portions and have about 50000 unidentified ingredients!
    I saw a tv program last week that actually proved vanilla haagen dazs was better for you per 100g than weight watchers 'diet icecream' :-)
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    And why for the love all that's good do people think eggs are dairy?

Because at the store the aisle/section is labeled 'dairy' quite often and they are between the milk and the yogurt. And the wchos didn't do a good enoughnjob teachng that particular information.That's my assumption
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    how is diet food not "real" food?

Some people eat a farkin' **** load of volume so diet stuff generally works well.
  • NanaWubbie
    NanaWubbie Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I'm with you for the most part....it's mostly about portion size. My views were very skewed about what portion sizes are supposed to be. I try to avoid empty calories, but do enjoy an occasional glass of wine and an occasional dessert! I just can't do those every day....I've got to keep them special.
  • Danni1585
    Danni1585 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I got fat by eating reduced fat/healthy/slimming/20%less blah, blah... its a marketing tool so people like I used to be buy it thinking its a healthier option. Point is, read the labels!! I finally learnt, for me it's simple, counting calories which is why this site has changed my life. I try to eat whole foods,but whatever I eat I count it. I am losing weight and feeling healthier than ever. I love MFP and the people on it xxx
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I know we all make concessions and things like skim milk don't vex me so much but it's things like a 90 calorie browning, 100 calorie oreo crisps, or bars that aren't filling but loaded with calories. But because I don't want to base what I eat around that stuff and I don't want to call it a "diet" even if i am watching my calories and trying to limit carbs for health reasons since type 2 diabetes is common in my family, not for reasons of I read somewhere that carbs were bad, I get told I'll never lose weight and have no self control.

I think it's much better and much more a sign of control to want to construct a healthy food intake with real foods. And just for me personally, I find that using whole milk, when I can't get almond milk bc lactose hates me, for tea, using whole eggs. real cheese and real butter is much more satisfying than when i was using just egg whites.

I also blame the diet industry but i also blame people for not taking the moments to read and compare labels to look at things for themselves. I know it's easy to get swept up in the "i wanna lose weight" of it all but at the same time, I don't want to keep ingesting frankenchemicals and goodness forbid, I actually like enjoying what I eat.

I get what you're saying and I too usually prefer "real" food. But if a person's weight is making them unhealthy and "diet" foods help them get to a healthy weight range, then I don't think there's anything wrong with their choice. If they want to go back to whole milk all they have to do is look at the calorie increase and cut out something else.

I don't share your distaste for "frankenchemicals," so maybe that's part of it. For sure whole foods are healthier, but there's nothing wrong with having some processed foods if they're going to help a person reach their goal. And I think there are plenty of people who *do* enjoy those foods. If their diet is otherwise nutrient dense I don't see any reason why they shouldn't have a 90 calorie brownie or whatever if they want it.

Also, it doesn't have to be all or nothing. I cook most of my food from scratch. I use a lot of whole foods. But like I said, I use skim milk, and I also use light margarine and fat free coffee creamer. The calories I save from those things can go toward more whole food. As long as a person is creating a diet that is nutrient dense, I don't think there's a problem.