Diet Soda's and Artificial Sweeteners

Options
2»

Replies

• Brianna72994
    Options
    Drinking diet Pepsi as I'm reading this.

I'm sick of people complaining about diet soda. Don't like it, then don't drink it.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Are you kidding me????? Its horrible for you. I can't believe these messages from people.
    Do your research. Gosh I am mortified by these responses.

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/5-reasons-aspartame-is-bad-for-you.html

FitDay is not exactly a reliable source nor is it scientific.

Here is one of hundreds of scientific research papers finding that aspartame is not only one of the single most thoroughly tested products but that it is safe in almost every way. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0273230002915424
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I have been type one diabetic 28 years and have had NutraSweet and diet soda since that time. 3 diet soda's per day and 5 tablespoons of Splenda for 28 years and my body is clear of any problem!! now what??
  • d3va
    d3va Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Interesting article - i keep the idea of anything in moderation or less is okay. I will have the occasionaly diet soda - but over the last 7 years - my house has stopped keeping soda in it. We drink water and sometimes if we get sick of water - we do sugar free, lo or no calorie drink mixes like fruit punch.

Just an idea - if you have a sweet craving for a drink, I usually have a glass of sweet red wine - cause its good for you!
  • jennlynlyn
    jennlynlyn Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I used to drink a LOT of diet coke. I decided to stop drinking it mainly because of the food choices that I always made with it. I used to plan my meal around the pop! So it's easier for me to forgo the triple cheese pizza for a salad if I already know I'm drinking ice water.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,087 Member
    Options
    All things in moderation.

I dont drink it a lot and I have coffee unsweetened and I drink water at home and at work - but I do drink couple of diet cokes a week when I am out, which Im sure is better for my weight loss goal than regular coke/soft drink.
  • vllasher
    Options
    Here you go, a review of some of the studies and the results: http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/index.php/aspartame-truth-vs-fiction/

If aspartame sweetened products taste good to you, not bitter as they do to some people (including me), then you would probably find Stevia an acceptable substitute in your coffee, or other beverages you make yourself. I drink filtered water and unsweetened teas - both herbal and black. On the rare occasion when I drink coffee at home I use agave syrup, check the sugar content, they vary by brand. It is slightly lower on the glycemic index than sugar and is sweeter; but it also has a distinctive flavor that is an acquired taste. If I have coffee out I use Splenda, which is Sucralose, and has it's own controversies; but I don't use it very often.
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Phenylalanine isn't a health concern for most people. However, for people who have the genetic disorder phenylketonuria (PKU) or certain other health conditions, phenylalanine can be a serious health concern (mayoclinic.com)

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/phenylalanine/AN01552

There, if you don't trust world leaders in health and cancer research, there is nothing I can do for you.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,087 Member
    Options
    Yes, people with PKU are a unique group for whom aspartame is very bad - Im sure anyone posting knows if they have this condition though.
  • NerdyTXChick
    NerdyTXChick Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Here is one of hundreds of scientific research papers finding that aspartame is not only one of the single most thoroughly tested products but that it is safe in almost every way. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0273230002915424

^^^This. I've been researching this subject for a while now – not that I'm an expert, take my opinion with a grain of salt just like any other.

We live in a weird time where there's a ton of information available, but no real way of knowing what's actually true. If I believed everything I read, I wouldn't be able to eat anything! So here's what I believe; the FDA says that aspartame is safe, and is one of the most tested products out there. I believe that. But I also believe it's possible there are problems they're not aware of. So my solution is to use it in moderation. If I find it causes cravings, I'll stop using it.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Are you kidding me????? Its horrible for you. I can't believe these messages from people.
    Do your research. Gosh I am mortified by these responses.

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/5-reasons-aspartame-is-bad-for-you.html

Seriously?

WHere is the science in this article? Where is the proof?

Just because you read something on the internet doesn't mean it's true. There has been no actual PROOF that it is bad for consumption. There have been a lot of opinions sure, proof no (well, unless you are a rat).

I can't believe people still believe in all the fear mongering crap articles out there that actually lack proof.
  • Suewags
    Suewags Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    The main "bad thing" about diet sodas and fake sweeteners that I believe is this: eventually, I am going to have to lessen my taste and craving for sweet stuff, and diet sodas don't help me do that. So I try to avoid them, but I am not completely successful.:smile:

I just posted a new topic on Diet Coke before I saw this one. But this ^^ is what I've noticed. I was a big Diet Coke drinker, and then I just decided to stop because I figured it wasn't providing anything good for my body. Instead I drink lots of water. I do still have artificially sweetened coffee creamer in the morning and when I have a taste for something other than water, I'll drink iced tea with Splenda. But the main thing I have noticed is that I don't have that crazy urge for candy and sweets anymore. I think eliminating the Diet Coke had something to do with that, since it readjusted my palette to not be tasting sweetness all the time.
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    It has never affected my weight loss, but I stopped having any because I just feel better without it.
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I choose not to consume either of them, just a personal choice.
  • Deanna_garnermommy
    Deanna_garnermommy Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    You people are nut jobs, like that was the only article I read.
  • Deanna_garnermommy
    Deanna_garnermommy Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Yes, seriously omg like totally.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    You people are nut jobs, like that was the only article I read.

Post a link to any one peer-reviewed, scientific journal article that says that aspartame is bad. Yeah, the people who have read the actual research are the nut jobs.