Eating Out - Top Tips please

Options
I am going out tonight to a lovely Michelin Star restaurant. I don't want to deprive myself, as I want to enjoy the experience, but I also want to be as good as I can be. Any thoughts on how I can get the right balance?

Replies

• Marilyn2303
    Marilyn2303 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Whenever I go out to a nice restaurant I plan ahead. I look up their menu online and make not of calories or points (I also follow WW)I make sure if I'm having an appetizer to have a broth based soup, or a garden salad with fat free or calorie wise dressing on the side. I don't eat the dinner rolls at all. As for the main course I try and stick to fish or chicken (non breaded). As for desert if it comes with the meal, for example cheesecake I only eat one or two small forkfulls.

It's a challenge for sure but planning ahead makes it fairly easy and less time deciding on the menu choices
  • jenniferwren
    Options
    Keep it as carb free as possible :drinker:
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Ask for a to go box and put ½ of everything in it.
  • tndejong
    tndejong Posts: 463
    Options
    i have never heard of that place. chicken and fish dishes are a good start. look for steam veggies for a side. watch for little things like the extras on dinner salads. opt for the dressing on the side. some places have the calorie content or menus set up for low cal meals. and like the other person suggested, you can try to look up the menu in the database.
  • AliceNov2011
    AliceNov2011 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    ^^^What they said. And avoid sauces. The fewer ingredients in a dish, the less likely it is to carry all kinds of hidden calories, so keep it simple and delicious.

Plan ahead, then don't even look at the rest of the menu when you get there. Just enjoy your evening!
  • marykpfist
    marykpfist Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Keep it as carb free as possible :drinker:

Ditto. Avoid as much bread and pasta as you can, and you can enjoy yourself without as many worries. But don't let one night sink you...the evening is about good friends and conversation, along with atmosphere...right?

You can always add an extra workout that day..
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    It depends. If you eat at Michelin starred restaurants regularly then do the usual 'avoid fried foods/creamy sauces etc.', but if it was me that might be the only time in my entire life I get to eat food that good. So I'd just go, eat what I wanted, hopefully enjoy it, and maybe rein it in for a day or two afterwards. :drinker:
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    If you're forking out for a special restaurant I would just try to restrict my calories more during the day and hit the exercise harder this week and not worry tonight xxx ;D

However if you really are planning on being good just try to watch out for buttery, cheese and cream based sauces. X have fun x
  • kat5556
    kat5556 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Plan some extra exercise, avoid sauces and get salad dressing on the side - and most of all enjoy yourself!
  • jb1164
    jb1164 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Lucky you, however... Michelin doesn't award stars for being 'diet' friendly', and I would suggest you enjoy the experience; avoid dishes you know are likely to contain unhealthy amounts of calories (double cream, cheese etc.), but don't be a diet bore. This is a special 'one-off', not a return to unhealthy eating habits. See it for what it is, and make an adjustment to your calorie intake over the rest of the week. You don't want your Michelin experience to be a green salad! I hope you have a fabulous time! ;0)
  • mllst18
    mllst18 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Anything grilled. Get extra veggies rather than a carb like potatoes or pasta. Try to get lean meats like chicken or fish.
  • Jubee31
    Jubee31 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    It depends. If you eat at Michelin starred restaurants regularly then do the usual 'avoid fried foods/creamy sauces etc.', but if it was me that might be the only time in my entire life I get to eat food that good. So I'd just go, eat what I wanted, hopefully enjoy it, and maybe rein it in for a day or two afterwards. :drinker:

^^ This.

I've never been to a Michelin Star restaurant but if I ever get the opportunity to go, I WANT to try their sauces and desserts! Definitely go enjoy yourself, and don't feel guilty about it!
  • SWFLGUY
    Options
    I was about to offer my opinion here since I travel on business extensively and eat many meals at restaurants. But most of the suggestions offer good advice - start with a healthy soup or salad - that fills you up - and stay away from sauces and anything made out of white flour. It takes about 20 minutes before the brain gets the message from the stomach that it is full - so start healthy, eat slow and when you feel full - stop. I will only share a desert - and maybe only one or two bites.
  • cld111
    cld111 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    If I was going to a Michelin Star restaurant, I would just 100% enjoy every moment of it!
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    If I was going to a Michelin Star restaurant, I would just 100% enjoy every moment of it!

I agree, enjoy the night and return to your regime the next morning.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options

^Every word of this!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Anything grilled. Get extra veggies rather than a carb like potatoes or pasta. Try to get lean meats like chicken or fish.
    Again, if this is a regular thing then fair enough, but eating this way at a Michelin starred restaurant kind of seems like a waste of money to me. If you're not going to enjoy the whole experience, what's the point in going?
  • Danni1585
    Danni1585 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    If its Michelin starred enjoy the treat and do more exercise next week. This is a great treat so it would be a shame not to let yourself enjoy it. Have a fab time xx
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    carbs are not the enemy....if you want carbs then have them in moderation and make sure they are the healthy type. If you want any kind of sauce, ask for it on the side if they allow that and if not...then don't get it. Get grilled chicken or fish, veggies that are not soaked in butter or sauces and if you want dessert, split it with someone or more than one other person. Ask for a doggy bag for left overs and save it for another night at home.
  • 212ackley
    212ackley Posts: 431 Member
    Options

This exactly!!! If it's a once in a blue moon type of experience, I would eat whatever sounds the best, but try to keep within reason ( like no desert unless you are still hungry)