Almond vs. Soy Milk

Options
Any advantages of using almond milk over soy milk? Haven't brought myself to try almond milk yet...I'm definitely curious.

Replies

• enoughofdreaming
    Options
    Personally I love almond milk. My preference is Silk unsweetened almond milk.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Both have benefits but I prefer the flavor and texture of Almond milk
  • wulfgyr
    Options
    I'm not a fan of the taste of soy milk so I prefer almond milk with my cereal. And I also use Silk Unsweetened.
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I prefer almond over soy... I like blue diamond unsweetened vanilla. Not sure of the difference nutritionally
  • sandylion
    sandylion Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Soy tends to be all full of GMO crap and almond is tastier and more natural. Makes the best oatmeal.
  • Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I replaced nonfat milk with Silk Unsweetened Almond milk..

Double the protein and only 40 calories compared to 80-90 calories of nonfat milk.

It's thicker and more filling when having smoothies or cereal.

Good health to you!
  • A couple years ago I had a conversation with my nutritionist at a fitness resort, they explained that although almond milk is lower in calories many brands don't contain the nutrients needed! A lot of almond milk is made by soaking almonds in water, and that's it... so even though it is mighty tasty and sweet, I go with soy milk!

I could be wrong though...
  • eaglewind
    eaglewind Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've tried both, and I like both, although you may have to search for varieties you like, each brand is different. Soy has come under fire for its estrogen like effects on the body, so do be aware of that. Almond can sneak up on you on the calories (as can any drink), so read your labels. Personally, I love the dark chocolate almond milk as a treat, or mixed into a smoothie. Just watch those calories. Enjoy!
  • CharityGC
    CharityGC Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I also prefer almond to soy.
  • KittyViolet
    KittyViolet Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Better taste. :\ I've tried both and I absolutely adore almond milk. I usually drink regular Natura almond milk, but sometimes I'll treat myself to some vanilla or chocolate flavored. They're all good! Soy milk is just bleht to me...
  • HollyHobbitToes
    HollyHobbitToes Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I prefer almond over soy for taste especially but since my daughters drink it as well, i don't want them drinking soy milk due to the estrogen effects...plus they like it better as well and the dark chocolate almond milk is a great alternative to normal chocolate milk! I like the almond in my coffee....gives it a slightly nutty flavor :) And great in oatmeal and on cereal....I get the unsweetened plain....only 30 calories per cup and is loaded with Vitamin D, Calcium and B12 :)
  • Bobtheangrytomato
    Bobtheangrytomato Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Try almond milk unsweetened plus protein--It's 40 cal a cup with 5 grams of protein.
  • Just a quick clarification here... soy milk does not contain estrogen that's a myth that has been widely researched...please think of all the food you eat that has soy in it (read the label a lot of it does)

I think people freak out about hormones because of all of the stuff being injected into meats... but soy milk does not contain the hormone estrogen. It does contain isoflavones, which are naturally occurring plant compounds. Isoflavones are classified as plant estrogens but isoflavones are very different from the hormone estrogen in the human body.

ps i love chocolate almond milk as a treat as well!!
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    Almond here.. almond vanilla and almond vanilla with coconut.. yummy!
  • Shell_7609
    Shell_7609 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I prefer almond or coconut milk to soy milk, for me it's just a flavor thing, I think the soy milk tastes like grass
  • pandasmama3
    Options
    I've never tried them but I don't like milk at all so do you think I would like almond milk better?? I'm scared to try it.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    coconut milk all the way
  • MyPsalm63
    Options
    My favorite is the Almond milk from Trader Joe's. I don't touch soy :/
  • Freshstartingmyhealthylife
    Options
    I find almond milk thicker than soy, which is a great start! also the taste of even unsweetened almond milk is 100x better than soy (which has no taste too me)
  • ilovescarymovies
    ilovescarymovies Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Silk Pure Almond Original--:heart::drinker: :love: :heart: