Kettlebell

Options

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I'd poke around Marshalls/TJ Maxx, I got a set with a 5, 10, and 15 lb kettlebell and a DVD for $20. Also, look on YouTube for exercises.

Those weights are insufficient for proper kettlebell training even for a beginner.
  • beaches222
    beaches222 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Wow i just bought a kettlebell kit and reading all your post I think i need heavier weights. I have a 3 and 5 pound that came with it and it seems so light. I may hit the store for a 7 or 10 pound weight. The workouts burn serious calories
  • coke_bottle
    coke_bottle Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    OMG! I love kettlebell! It is the best workout to wake your barely used and used muscles up!! It had me sore in the thighs on my first 20 minute work out! I'm talking every step i take sore deep in the muscle tissue! But it's a good sore! I purchased a 10 lb kettle bell that came with 2 workout dvds under $30 with shipping and handling! Trust me when i say, it really gets your heart pumping and your furnace turned on to burn calories plus you are building muscle because it is strength training as well!!!!!! KETTLEBELL- a win win situation:)
  • Jo2926
    Jo2926 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Most women go too light on a starting weight. Pavel, the father of the Kettlebell movement in the USA says a beginning women should start at 18 lbs. If you go too light, there is a tendency to "muscle through" the exercises using your arms, etc. instead of engaging your core and posterior chain. If so, it will make it that much harder to get any benefit from it, and you many need to relearn the movements.

Here's an easy test for you: If you can take the kettlebell and lift it straight out in front of you with stiff arms, it's too light.

This. Its all about the hips and core!!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I'd poke around Marshalls/TJ Maxx, I got a set with a 5, 10, and 15 lb kettlebell and a DVD for $20. Also, look on YouTube for exercises.

Those weights are insufficient for proper kettlebell training even for a beginner.

agreed.

Highly recommend going to a class to get taught all the movements before trying it on your own. Also, they are not generally the best for muscle building. Possibly some upperbody hypertrophy but they are more about conditioning that involves some strength.

I swing a 64kg (140lb) KB.
  • lizzzylou
    Options
    bump
  • AmandaDawnRN
    AmandaDawnRN Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My husband does this exercise. I didn't realize so many woman did. Great job ladies!!
  • FitToLead
    FitToLead Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Thanks contingencypl
    I will look for higher weight, and those dvd's and avoid the JM DVD.
    cool.
  • adamsh78
    adamsh78 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2011/01/08/kettlebell-swing/
    This is one of the female "case studies" in the man book 4-hour body. The video is geared toward guys but show the basics of how to do the Kettlebell Swing correctly also a link under the video shows how to build an adjustable weight kettlebell with some plumbing supplies from Lowe's or Homedepot if you already have plates(which I did). Hope this helps folks it got me into the swing.
  • spike90
    spike90 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    The Kettleworx DVDs are great!
  • luvred51
    luvred51 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kettlebellfatlossguy
    Options
    Depending on what kind of shape you are in, and how much over weight, I would recommend starting with 5 or 10lb kettlebell and the kettleworx program. It may seem cheesy to start but I was 50lbs heavier when I started and way out of shape, being a guy I still started with a 10lb kettlebell. I lost 20lbs in that 6 weeks, fell on love with them and now have a 20lb, two 35lbs and two 44lbs.

She you get more advanced I would look into programs like kettlebell burn etc. Good luck and trAin safe.
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    Depending on what kind of shape you are in, and how much over weight, I would recommend starting with 5 or 10lb kettlebell and the kettleworx program. It may seem cheesy to start but I was 50lbs heavier when I started and way out of shape, being a guy I still started with a 10lb kettlebell. I lost 20lbs in that 6 weeks, fell on love with them and now have a 20lb, two 35lbs and two 44lbs.

She you get more advanced I would look into programs like kettlebell burn etc. Good luck and trAin safe.

Kettleworx is not actual kettlebell training. They adapt dumbbell moves normally done in aerobics class to kettlebells. Conventional kettlebell training is much more effective and demands more weight.
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    Wow i just bought a kettlebell kit and reading all your post I think i need heavier weights. I have a 3 and 5 pound that came with it and it seems so light. I may hit the store for a 7 or 10 pound weight. The workouts burn serious calories

You need way more than that for proper kettlebell training. ANything under 15 lbs should be used EXCLUSIVELY for rehab/phys.therapy purposes.
  • samanthaheber
    samanthaheber Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I do kettlebells and man they get the work done! :) They're perfect and can be used so many ways. Kettle bell swings, pulls and squat press' are personally my favorite. 10lbs is a good place to start, and if you want to really push yourself and feel the burn, step it up to 15lbs. Good luck!
  • Squidgrok
    Squidgrok Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I use a 15 lbs one and the fitblender beginner's video. One thing for sure is form is really important so if you're losing form stop. I still prefer regular hand held weights but I like the kettlebell for a bit of variety.
  • 40Marbles
    40Marbles Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    This link is for a video from Tracy Reifkind on how to choose the correct size kettlebell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBVix24GKG0

She also has posted a lot of workouts on youtube, and her book "The Swing" is a great start for beginners.
  • CAS317
    CAS317 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    bump
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    smh
  • JuniperT
    JuniperT Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    bump this for late when I have more time to read