Exercise hurts me :(

Options
Hey guys, so for as long as I can remember I've had painful knees and ankles at the smallest amount of exercise. Even a bike can hurt it sometimes. When I was about 10 I moved to France for 3 years, while I was out there, I played a lot of basketball, used to train for two hours on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and then a match every Saturday. I used to wear a knee strap then and sometimes an ankle one too.

I went to the doctors a million times, had some physio, given crutches for a couple of months and told I had tendonitis, jumpers knee, one leg longer than the other and that I grew too fast and my muscles didn't have time to catch up. (I'm 5 ft 10)

It's always been a problem and have usually stuck to low impact things such as cycling and swimming although today, I decided to take a risk and go for a run after downloading Zombies Run. Day 1 consisted of a 8 minute walk, then a 2 minute jog. I then did a 15 second run followed by a minutes brisk walk, repeated that 10 times. Then 10 minutes of whatever you want. I ended up walking for the majority of it because of the amount of pain I was in but I did have a little run.

By the end of that 40 minutes worth of exercise, which can I add was designed for 'couch potatos'. I was in agony. My knee, ankle and hip are all really painful, in the same leg too.

Anyone got any kinda idea's as to how I can get past this because apparently my doctor is no good. I don't wanna miss out on running but feel like I have to.

Look forward to hearing from you.

NOTE: Thank you everyone. I do ride my bike and I do swim in the summer. Im not upset that I can't run because I love running, its more like I do get bored of cycling and it's nice to mix it up. All other exercises, swimming, boxing, machines etc, cost money which I don't always have.

I guess my issue is mainly that it isn't just running thats an issue. If I go shopping for a few hours and walk around, by the time I am home that evening, my knees and ankles hurt so bad. I will go back to the doctor soon, just wondered if anyone had similar issues which they have sorted or minimised.

Replies

• billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Find a new Dr. If your in that much pain you need to be in physical therapy or something.

The only think I could think of is get proper shoes and look up minimalist running.
  • ahart78
    Options
    What about swimming or boxing?
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Maybe running is not for you.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Try mini workouts first then try to increase your time. Be sure to go past your primary doc and see a rheum or ortho (even better a sports doc). Ice after workouts. Hope it gets better.
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Find a new Dr. If your in that much pain you need to be in physical therapy or something.

The only think I could think of is get proper shoes and look up minimalist running.

This^^^^^^^^^^^
  • BeckiCharlotte13x
    BeckiCharlotte13x Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I know, I should swim and stuff more but I just hear so much good stuff from people who jog or run and would just really love to have the option to do it.

I've been to quite a few Dr's about it, although because of the horrendous doctor appointment system where you have to book on the day and there is no guarantee you get an appointment, I never make it to the Dr's when I am actually in pain.
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Swimming FTW
  • proudandprejudiced
    Options
    I struggle with really bad knee problems too, and I just find that running isn't for me. The elliptical is non impact, you could perhaps try that.
  • jenniferwilcox
    Options
    I have the same pain in my hips when I run. So I don't run or jog anymore. I stick to low impact exercises (Jillian Michaels's DVD's are great as you can modify the exercises to fit your abilities). I have been told by many physical therapists that, if you have painful and weak leg joints that running is the worst thing you can do. If you want a final opinion, go to a sports therapist for advice.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Running isn't a magic exercise, it's just a type of cardio. If it hurts to run, do something else. Swimming is a 10 times better workout than running.
  • nornyb
    nornyb Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Good shoes! It sounds like you jumped in halfway through the C25K plan instead of starting at the beginning, you could need to very slowly ease your way into the running, which is what he C25K is designed to do.
  • Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Swimming is the best exercise because of the cardio benefits and the weightlessness on the joints. I would keep that idea in the forefront.

As a matter of fact, i'm biking and running now, but when summer gets here i'm doing nothing but swimming. :happy:
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    People who love running, love running. But that doesn't mean it's right for everyone. If your body isn't letting you run, don't run. But it does sound like you have some issues with your joints that can most likely be managed better. See another doctor, get another opinion. Get some help to avoid being in pain all the time.

Personally, I dream of being able to do pushups. But they make my bad shoulder dislocate. So I don't bother trying. I do other stuff.
  • BeckiCharlotte13x
    BeckiCharlotte13x Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Good shoes! It sounds like you jumped in halfway through the C25K plan instead of starting at the beginning, you could need to very slowly ease your way into the running, which is what he C25K is designed to do.

I definitely didn't jump in too quick, I did the very first one. I wasn't wearing brilliant shoes though.
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    My boys used to have problems with the knees from growing too quickly... it was called osgood schlatter disease. They ended up wearing a very small strap (1/2 inch in diameter) with velcro wrapped around their leg right below the knee cap. That gave them some relief. A few years later they were able to run track.

Good luck!
  • samlankford
    Options
    a.) GET A NEW DR!!
    B.) get better shoes but do seek out a store that will fit you properly for the correct shoe
    c.) you have a lot of medical issues with your joints, I seriously would not try to do more then walk until you get the "all clear" from dr...

you don't want to cause more problems later down the road, you are young... I personally would just walk, ride a bike, basically NO HIGH IMPACT exercises... I know how much fun running is, I can no longer do it since my knees would rather bend the wrong way... it sucks but that is life... just keep it light, watch your nutrition and you will be fine :wink:
  • TXtstorm
    TXtstorm Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    A few random ideas, I offer no guarantee as to their quality:

1) Have you tried yoga or bodyweight strength training as exercise? If the pain you experience in that leg is truly the joints hurting, building/strengthening the muscles and ligaments that support the joints might help limit the amount of pain.
    2) Have you tried supplements such as glucosamine and chondroitin? Some people get at least some relief from joint issues with these as they supposedly support the generation of the fluids that lubricate/cushion the joints.
    3) Is it truly the joints? Certainly could be, like an old injury putting the whole leg out of alignment, but with the involvement being all one leg could it be a nerve pinch higher up the leg, hip, or even lower back?
    4) Have you had your stride analyzed and found the best shoe to suit it? The right shoes can absorb some of the shock, cushion the foot, and help correct your stride or posture. You'll have to search out a store or kinesiologist that can legitimately do this for you, and the shoes may be significantly expensive, but it may be worth it to you if walking or potentially running for exercise is that important to you.
    5) It's not running nor outdoors if you enjoy that part, but how do you tolerate cardio on an elliptical machine?

Hope something there gives you an idea that will take you the direction you'd like to go. Good luck!
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Running isn't for everyone. My husband is very fit, but hates running. I've been experimenting with running lately, and I don't mind it, I just find it kind of boring and prefer cycling instead.

There are lots of ways to get fit that don't include running. Get out there and taste the rainbow of exercise options until you find one that suits you.
  • nornyb
    nornyb Posts: 224 Member
    Options

I definitely didn't jump in too quick, I did the very first one. I wasn't wearing brilliant shoes though.

The first week of C25K is only one minute of jogging with 1.5 minutes of walking.