Cramping feet

Options
When I exercise (aerobics, dancing, rollerblading, ice skating, etc.), my feet cramp severely and it's really debilitating. Any one have ideas on what to do? I've tried new shoes, drinking more water, taking vitamins, getting more potassium...I'm not sure what else to try.

Replies

• jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Go minimalist or barefoot, but do it slowly. And try the exercises here: http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/education/foot_health.htm
  • moonport
    moonport Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I will give that a try. Thanks!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    check your hydration level. remember that's more than just drinking water, electrolytes are a big part of determining your hydration as well especially if you sweat a lot.

bananas are good and so is coconut water. i notice when i add those in i no longer have the issue of cramped feet and toes and random eye twitching
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    check your hydration level. remember that's more than just drinking water, electrolytes are a big part of determining your hydration as well especially if you sweat a lot.

bananas are good and so is coconut water. i notice when i add those in i no longer have the issue of cramped feet and toes and random eye twitching
    bump for reference
  • DebiS1972
    Options
    I get cramps in my feet too. I have flat feet and have had insoles made for me. Might be worth getting them checked out
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of the barefoot stuff.

For me part of the problem is me sort of tensing up my foot. I'm especially prone to cramps when I swim. Key is feeling the cramp start and focusing on relaxing the foot, maybe massaging it a bit but that's way easier to do when swimming than when wearing shoes.
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Try feet strengthening exercises. Google search for options. I get the same thing, and am trying to strengthen my feet after my podiatrist said I have "loose" feet. :laugh:
  • moonport
    moonport Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    These are all really great suggestions. So far, I've tried doing my home exercise videos in my socks and that has helped out a lot. I can't do that at the gym, though. :) I'm going to try the insoles.