Three years and a whole load of weights later...

Options
Hi guys,

This is my first post on the MFP forum, but I’ve been a member for a while. I’m posting as I thought I’d share my story with you. I’ve found the reading of other peoples experiences on MFP to be motivational, inspirational and sometimes very poignant. I have been very moved by the warmth and support that fellow MFP members show to each other.

My personal experience with fitness started three years ago as I left University; I hadn’t exercised much at all before that. I’d led a typical boozey student life and by the end of my studies, I was horribly skinny and couldn’t run a mile without wheezing and getting stitch.

I decided then that drastic changes needed to be had and that I wanted to get into shape. I joined a gym, started lifting weights and completely over hauled my diet. Initially my performance was pitiful, but I persevered and gradually started making headway.

That was three years ago, and looking back it brings me great pleasure seeing how far I’ve come and what I have accomplished. I have realized some major personal goals such as being able to dead lift 100kg, or incline press 32.5kg dumbbells for four sets of eight reps. (You may be asking, ‘bro, do you even lift?’, but this is coming from a guy who three years ago couldn’t do a push up!)

Through my focus on training and eating right, I have learnt a lot about myself and changed my life for the better. I no longer smoke and am now t-total.
I’m currently training six days a week and have just started boxing training (if you haven’t tried it then I recommend you should, its great!) I know I still have a long way to go, and an infinite amount more to learn, but if anything this makes me more excited for the future.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post; I hope it was insightful. I have included some before and after pictures below. If anyone wants to be mates then feel free to add me, I’m always willing to talk (and learn!) about training and nutrition!

Cheers,

Otis

01dd9f12-9585-4733-b139-127f078b0f5c_zpscd2f26f2.jpg

2013 February weigh in

EDIT: For some reason I can't get these pictures to show without being clipped. They aren't over 250kb and are a max size of 550 on PhotoBucket, can anyone advise? Thanks!

back2_zpsc89ff4a3.jpg

back1_zps23a406ec.jpg

abs_zpsc94311b4.jpg

Replies

• _ting_
    _ting_ Posts: 45
    Options
    Congrats on your body upgrade! :smile:

Looks and sounds like you put in a lot of hard work.
  • FindingSamMon
    FindingSamMon Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Wow what a difference a few years can make. Congrats!
  • otis_2012
    otis_2012 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comments, guys!

Don't know why, but I can't get my pictures to show properly on my original post. They are set to a maximum size of 550 on photobucket, can anyone advise? Thanks!
  • Bluejay789
    Options
    You look wonderful! Congrats on the quitting smoking. I just quit back in October of last year. I actually fell off the work out ladder and eating right. I am back on again. You look wonderful! Congrats and great job!
  • kmpsbl2016
    kmpsbl2016 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Awesome. Great job changing your life around. What does your tattoo say?
  • GetHotIn2014
    GetHotIn2014 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Just curious, what does your tattoo say?
  • otis_2012
    Options

Thank you so much, I appreciate your comments!

My tattoo says: 'Peace, it does not mean to be in a plce where there is no noise trouble or hard work, it means to be in the midst of these things and still be calm in your heart'
  • rosiereally2
    rosiereally2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Wow! Check you out. Nice work, brother. Your dedication really paid off.
  • OutsideCreativ
    OutsideCreativ Posts: 143 Member
    Options

My tattoo says: 'Peace, it does not mean to be in a plce where there is no noise trouble or hard work, it means to be in the midst of these things and still be calm in your heart'

Nice message!
  • GetHotIn2014
    GetHotIn2014 Posts: 201 Member
    Options

LOVE it! =)
  • otis_2012
    Options

LOVE it! =)

Thanks! I always consider getting more done, especially on my shoulders and arms, but I can never choose something which I don't perceive to be 'fashionable', because if it is, then eventually it will become unfashionable and I'll probably hate it! ha ha
  • otis_2012
    Options

Nice message!

Thank you, I try to remember it every day!
  • otis_2012
    Options
    Wow! Check you out. Nice work, brother. Your dedication really paid off.

Thank you!
  • jeweljeans
    jeweljeans Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Wow!!! No more scrawny guy!! Looking great!
  • MyPsalm63
    Options
    Wow, Awesome job!!!!!
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Awesome transformation!! Love the back "V". Spectacular... hard work truly does pay off. You also sound much happier (not that I know what you sounded like before), but your attitude shows. Congrats!!
  • FatSlayer1016
    FatSlayer1016 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Your progress is incredible and I LOVE your tattoo!!!! You rock man! Keep up the good work!
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about the pics - I think it has more to do with MFP's forum formatting than it does your source site. People can right click on the images and choose "view image" and they will see the full-size photos sans clipping.

You look great!!
  • NewKeriSept2014
    NewKeriSept2014 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    wow great job! thanks for sharing!!!:smile:
  • otis_2012
    Options
    Awesome transformation!! Love the back "V". Spectacular... hard work truly does pay off. You also sound much happier (not that I know what you sounded like before), but your attitude shows. Congrats!!

Thanks! Fitness has definitely had a profound impact on me, you're right. Being in shape has definitely taken the place of alot of negative things in my life, I love it!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!