Healthy Recipes for poor people? lol

Options
Hiya, I only have a budget of 150 every month, so any yummy recipes that are cheap to make will be much appreciated c:

Replies

• ShinyFuture
    ShinyFuture Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Give us a little info --- what kinds of foods do you like? Not like? Allergies? Time available? Enjoy cooking? Novice or experienced cook? Do you have a crock pot?
  • ebr250
    ebr250 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Dried beans! Cheap, filling, versatile and healthy.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    dried beans, rice, eggs, frozen veggies, fresh produce that is in season and on sale.
  • muhl85
    muhl85 Posts: 17
    Options
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Just made a pseudo dish i called Not Pasta Primavera:
    favorite tomato based pasta sauce (I used Barilla Spicy Marinara),
    frozen veggies (mushrooms, carrots, green beans, cauliflower hold up well),
    favorite meat (shrimp, leftover beef, chicken, pork).
    Cook veggies in sauce til done. Add cooked meat and simmer for a few minutes until warm.
    Serve alone or over pasta or rice
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    http://budgetbytes.blogspot.ca/

Nice recipes, cheap, she even gives the price per portion for all recipes :p
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Sugar-free cheesecake pudding (made with skim/soy/almond milk) + 1/2 serving granola = easy cheap desert!

Bob's Red Mill granola: $3.00 a bag, 14 half servings per bag for $0.21 above.
    Jell-o Pudding Mix: $0.98 per box, 4 servings per box for 0.24 per serving
    2 cups skim milk: Average price for gallon near me is $3.55, 2 cups used...$0.44 used in recipe, $0.11 per serving.

Total for dessert: $0.56 per serving.

For slightly more you can add berries, bananas, cranberries, etc.....
  • Mmmporkrinds
    Options
    Totally agree with the ideas of dried beans and rice! It's what some people survive on, eg in South America; together they are a near-perfect food source. Avoid processed stuff, it might look cheaper but it isn't when you consider the total nutritional value. Mussels are often on special where I live, at $3 or so a kilo, they are a great treat if you like them.
  • Oats for porridge - I make it with water and your can add whatever you want really
    Ham slices - big pack
    Pasta/tomato sauces
    canned beans
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Rice/quinoa/lents/any variety like this + the most inexpensive veggies/legumes you find on the market. Frozen veggies/legumes should be cheaper and don't get spoiled (peas, broccoli, spinach, baby carrots, etc.)

Those recipies like 8 cans chilli http://allrecipes.com/recipe/6-can-chili/ (canned foods tend to be cheeper). But dry beans, cooked be yourself at home should be more budget wise.

Inexpensive meat cuts, grilled (they are not as beautiful as the popular choices, but both beef and chicken have parts that have a lower price than sir loin and breast... they may have more calories, but cooking them with no added fat should keep you on track). If not grilled, incorporate them in stews (again, with the most inexpensive veggies/legumes you find on the market) and soups. For chicken soups, noodles are cheap, but add more to teh dish. Chicken organs like liver, heart, gizzard are cheap, and you can cook them with tomatoes sauce and bell peppers (for example)... if you like them (most people don't).

But... what is cheap or not may be in function of each country. For example others mentioned here things that they consider cheap, but here they are quite expensive. So you must adapt through examples.
  • carlybarley22
    carlybarley22 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Shop at different grocery stores and look for the best sales. I spend about 150 to 200 a month for 2 people. You can add me and browse my diary if you'd like. =).
  • beskimoosh
    beskimoosh Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    This is my fave cheap recipe, chickpea and coriander burgers:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1364634/chickpea-and-coriander-burgers

A tin of chickpeas, bunch of coriander and an egg, basically, with some other basic stuff.
    Costs about £2 to make it all over here, not a clue in $!
  • Tash128
    Tash128 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Awesome site thanx!
  • SluppyB
    Options
    Tinned tomatoes are your friend! Don't buy premade sauces, try to have a well stocked spice rack and you'll be surprised how much you save. Tinned beans and rice also, like people have said.

I also buy a lot of frozen veg (things like chopped onion and peppers) for two reasons, one, it's cheaper, and two, it's just me so I can buy it all at the start of the month and it will last the whole month instead of going off.

I plan my meals for the month ahead and buy exactly what I need rather than winging it. You'll save so much!

Good luck!
  • rachelbethany
    rachelbethany Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I usually spend even less than that on groceries a month. I buy stuff like:

-Whole Wheat Pasta; Super cheap, can be made into an endless amount of dishes, and is a great way to add fiber)

-Dried Beans; Usually garbanzos; I cook a large amount at a time and freeze some for adding to dishes later and use some for making hummus. Great for protein and fiber.

-Almonds or other raw, unsalted nuts; These aren't the cheapest item I buy, but one bag of them goes a long way and is great for making almond milk, almond "cookies" (I just throw raw almonds, cocoa, agave/honey, and sometimes a tablespoon of milk in the food processor, and I basically have yummy, chocolatey energy balls!) I also grind/chop the almonds up and top soups with them, throw them in rice, etc.

-Raw Produce; I try to only buy stuff on sale; there are always sales on bags of spinach. Spinach, kale, button mushrooms, tomatoes, etc., are all delicious, versatile, and often on sale. Kale is especially valuable for all the nutrients just one serving can offer.

-Frozen peas

-Frozen hash browns; I love hashbrowns lately, and you can get a 2-pound bag for less than $2. Good cooked in bacon grease in the skillet, can add anything to them)

-Potatoes; I try to buy sweet potatoes, because they offer more nutrition, but russet potatoes are always cheaper and are great for a budget. The skins are full of potassium!

-Frozen chicken or fish for protein, depending on what's on sale

-Canned black beans

-EGGS!! These are my life-saving item while on a budget. They are so cheap, and a great source of protein and other nutrients. I have them boiled, poached, in egg drop soups, fried, scrambled, in omelettes, and more!

I could go on, but you get the idea. As you shop more, you'll realize which items you prefer fresh and which are not worth the extra money. There are certain veggies I will never eat canned or frozen, and others that I almost prefer that way! Try not to shop when you're hungry, and you'll end up with lots of nutritious options. I always choose whole grain options in pasta, rice, etc., for example, because it's never more expensive to do so. Having a tight budget has actually forced me to eat healthier, in a way. While I'd love to splurge on everything in the organic section and try every exotic fruit the grocery store offers, I do find that just forcing myself to only buy the healthiest options I CAN afford still goes a long way.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Turkey Chili --

1 red pepper, 1 green pepper, 1 medium onion -- all chopped
    1 pound or 93/7 or 99/1 ground turkey
    4 cans of beans, rinsed -- I use black beans and kidney if I am doing cans -- just black beans if I am using bagged beans -- if you are, you need 1 pound bag -- recipe below)
    1 28 ounce can of crushed tomatoes
    1 small can of tomato paste
    2 beef bullion cubes
    2-3 cups of water
    seasonings you like/have (I go with cumin, chili powder, garlic powder - 1 tablespoon, oregano 1 teaspoon and cayenne pepper and cinnamon 1/2 teaspoon)
    Salt -- I add salt to the chili itself at the end, if I need it. I salt the turkey when I am cooking it

Crumble and brown the turkey in a skillet, add in veggies 1/2 through cooking -- season with salt and pepper to taste, turn off when turkey is fully cooked.

Toss everything, aside from salt, in a crockpot and cook on low for 6-8 hours

Or if you don't have a crockpot, dump everything in big pot, bring to a boil for 5 minutes and then let it simmer on your stove for 4ish hours.

If you want to make you own beans:

1 1 pound bag of black beans -- sorted for stones/broken beans
    5 cups of stock -- use you favorite -- I use beef, or use water!
    2-5 cloves of garlic -- I use 5 cause I like it
    1 can of rotel tomatoes and chilis
    1 whole jalapeno, chopped (take out the ribs and seeds for less spice)
    seasoning (cumin and chili powders are my favorite -- usually a teaspoon of each)
    salt -- again, added at the end

Basically, dump all this into crockpot and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6. When it comes times to make the chili -- follow the recipe above, just omit the water (unless your black beans are super thick) and cook on high for 2 more hours.

ETA: The chili will yield 15 1 cup servings, the black bean alone yield 6-7 1 cup servings
  • HollyHobbitToes
    HollyHobbitToes Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I often make what I call "poor man's chili" and I throw in whatever veggies I have and tomato soup and canned tomatoes, regular canned beans, etc....if you have a food processor you can use it for greens and cauliflower to add...if you have meat, add that too....chicken or turkey preferably....
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I just made a huge chilli. Get all vegetables on sale, slow roast. I put lean steak mince in but you could leave it out or get what ever is cheapest like turkey mince. Once the vegetables are caramelised I add the rest and slow roast.

The sauces is lots of spices and lots of herbs with tinned tomatoes. Will have cost around £10 for 8 portions. This could be 2 meals per week. Get whatever canned beans that are cheap (here kidney beans) and put plenty in.

I got peppers, courgette, tomatoes, onions, kidney beans, canned sweetcorn and Chick peas, chopped tomatoes and I already had herbs and spices. I used 500g of mince It goes a long way. Really filling, comfort food! Of course a bag of rice to accompany it won't cost much.

Zara x

Ha ha... Too late!
  • rebelate
    rebelate Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Is this for one person, or two people? I spend about 150 - 250 a month for two people.

Meal planning will help you a lot. I shop at 1 - 3 stores, and see what's on sale and figure it out from there. Most of the time it's just chicken, and veggies. We buy fresh, but only plan for a week or so ahead, and only buy what's on sale.

If you can, and it's on sale buy fresh chicken breasts, and cut them up yourself. Most of the time the breasts they portion out are a lot bigger than a serving size. You can easy cut up, and make 1 breast into 2 - 3 portions. Packs typically come with 6, so you can make 12 - 18 portions of chicken.

Canned tuna for lunches, or to top salads with. You can also just cook it up with veggies, and add it to rice.

If you watch portion sizes, you can make a box of pasta last for 5 - 7 meals, and it's typically about $1 a box.

If you have a Sprouts near you, check them out. Usually their produce, and meat is a really, really good deal.
  • sassyfrass9
    sassyfrass9 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    bump