Calling all College Students! Need Support :)

Options
Hey guys! I'm 18, A college student in northern New England and I need some support! It's hard to get healthy, go to school full time, work a job or two (or three in my case!) and still function! I'm trying to lose weight so that I can feel better about myself, change a lifetime's worth of bad habits, and I am going with my degree program to study (and hike) in the southern US this spring..and I need to be fit!
HEIGHT WEIGHT: 225 (in 2011)
SW: 200
CW: 196
GW: 145

Post how old you are, where you're from, how much you want to lose and why, and feel free to add me!

Replies

• TheGoryTeapot
    TheGoryTeapot Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm 21 years old and am currently attending college. I'm at 140 right now --- I want to lose 15 lbs just to feel better and perform better (I'm a performance artist).

If you haven't done so already, find out where your campus gym is. If they have circuit training, you could always try and see if you have time to go after class a few times a week. It's very easy to get a well-rounded work out done in a half hour :) Finding my campus gym has been a real life-saver for me, and it's super convenient.

Also, healthy snacks! I always carry a small bag full of healthy options which usually consists of dried fruit, nuts, and veggies. The best part is that you can buy the dried foods in bulk for very cheap and they keep well.
  • ashgetsfit2013
    Options
    Hey! I'm 21 years old and am currently attending college. I'm at 140 right now --- I want to lose 15 lbs just to feel better and perform better (I'm a performance artist).

If you haven't done so already, find out where your campus gym is. If they have circuit training, you could always try and see if you have time to go after class a few times a week. It's very easy to get a well-rounded work out done in a half hour :) Finding my campus gym has been a real life-saver for me, and it's super convenient.

Also, healthy snacks! I always carry a small bag full of healthy options which usually consists of dried fruit, nuts, and veggies. The best part is that you can buy the dried foods in bulk for very cheap and they keep well.

I have a very, very small campus, (in a town I've lived in forever) and we have a pretty nice gym facility! Finding time to go there ( not to mention the fact that getting oogled by the perverts (there are a LOT of dirty people there) is less than fun! I started Insanity with my best friend and I'm also going to a weekly hip-hop dance class.
    I do need to start carrying around healthy snacks to avoid the splurges!
  • wbandel
    wbandel Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I'm from the Midwest (middle of the USA). I'm 24 and attending college for a graduate program in Fine Art. I'm a full time student and work part time. Most of my loss has been through lower calories and when the weather is nice I bike everywhere. I wanted to lose weight because I started having a lot of health problems, back ache, loss of energy, etc. I also had a leg injury several years back and I want to regain and surpass my leg strength from before the injury.

Height: 5'11"
    SW: 247
    CW: 188
    GW: 165

OP and anyone else, feel free to add me. :)
  • gabbshen
    gabbshen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm a freshman in college too! I gained the freshman 15 pretty fast...and it definitely shows. I have stretch marks out the wazoo! But now I'm ready to change all that, and lose around 30 pounds total. I'm 5'7 180 lbs right now and I'd like to be around 150.
  • mdearmond
    mdearmond Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    21, senior in college getting ready to start my grad program in the fall. Down 31, trying to maintain now/increase muscle definition. Feel free to add me! I log everyday and keep it open and loveee motivation :)
  • Shanellz
    Options
    I'm 23, full time senior in college currently in California. I have 2 kids & I want to get back to the old me! My goal weight is between 130-140. Anyone feel free to add me.
  • runningfataway
    Options
    Hello,

I'm also a freshy 18. I gained the freshman 15 and then a lot more before college even started. I'm 5'7 and my weight is 221. I am a commuter. I do not eat school food since it's pricey, and not all that great. I make sure to pack my lunch and a few snacks before getting out the door so I don't miss a meal. When I miss a meal I tend to over eat during dinner so that's not good. Feel free to add me anyone!
  • jackieomara
    jackieomara Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm 20 years old and from NY. I'm a junior music business major, full time student. I used MFP back in 2011 (Around september-november), a short amount of time but I still lost some weight so it was definitely working for me. Back then I lived on campus in the dorms so it was realllly hard to find healthy food that didn't bore me so I fell back into the habit of eating whatever I wanted. I did take some health tips with me after that and went from 194-180 from then to now but over a long period of time without really trying, just reducing the amount of bad foods I ate and making wiser choices. Now I live off campus which makes it a lot easier to eat healthy, shop for myself, and prepare my own food. I started this back up end of January this year at 180 and I'm down to 176 (haven't weighed myself since last week though) and I want to get to 150 by summer. My school just opened their new gym which is definitely motivating and gets me excited to work out and I also have roommates that are on MFP and we are all working together! That makes it much easier to keep any junk food out of the house and we prepare meals together and what not. It's pretty much making sure you get yourself in the right mindset and you have to think about how much you really want to lose the weight!

Sorry that was unnecessarily long :P anyone, feel free to add me!! :)
  • ashgetsfit2013
    Options
    Hello,

I'm also a freshy 18. I gained the freshman 15 and then a lot more before college even started. I'm 5'7 and my weight is 221. I am a commuter. I do not eat school food since it's pricey, and not all that great. I make sure to pack my lunch and a few snacks before getting out the door so I don't miss a meal. When I miss a meal I tend to over eat during dinner so that's not good. Feel free to add me anyone!

I'm a commuter too! It's nice to avoid the pricey, unhealthy food at my college (we don't have a vegetarian, vegan, or healthy option whatsoever) but it makes it hard when you're starving and stuck on campus all day!
  • freckledginger15
    freckledginger15 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    SW: 222.2
    CW: 218.7
    GW: 130.0

I am currently a full-student at Northern Michigan University in Marquette Michigan. I have two jobs plus I volunteer as a teaching assistant for the labs for the Clinical Laboratory Science Department. In November I passed my board exam for phlebotomy and I am now a certified phlebotomist through the ASCP. Back in 2008, I was attending school in Wisconsin so I was commuting from home and living with my mom. I did well for the first two years because I was eating home-cooked meals. But as soon as I moved to Michigan and was living in the dorms I gained about 20 pounds. It was downhill from there because once I moved out of the dorms I gained another 30 pounds. I tried hydroxycut, weight watchers, and several others but nothing seemed to work.

Things have been getting better though. Since I moved into a house with my boyfriend (soon to be fiance) we have been buying a lot healthier foods and been doing a lot of home-cooking. My sister and mom showed me MFP and I'm finding it to help me a lot! I really like how everyone is so supportive (much different from weight watchers) and cheers each other on. My sister and I started going to our schools gym six days a week for three weeks now and we around almost always under our calorie goal.

I want to lose 95 pounds because here in the U.P. there is so much scenery to see. Unfortunately, you have to hike and swim to see a lot of things. I want to lose this weight to be able to see these things in Marquette, and of course, any where I go. Also, my boyfriend and I are planning a wedding and I don't want to look like a cow in my wedding dress. Diabetes runs in my family as well (along with many other weight-health related issues) and I want to steer clear of them and stay happy! Feel free to add me anytime! :)
  • sudowpa2
    Options
    I am 28 and currently in school. I am almost done with my first degree but I want to go for a second if I find a job or not.

I am currently 250 and want to be down to 180lbs... Give or take.

It is very hard to eat healthy during school. We do have a cafe but their idea of healthy food is a salad bar for lunch and an apple for breakfast.. I usually have to stop by walmart and grab things to make my own meals at school or I will make them the night before at home and just put them in travel containers.

it will take some times but once you get your routine down... it will be like second nature.
  • Niharika_sri
    Niharika_sri Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hey there,
    I am 20, height 5'1"
    SW:191
    CW:179
    GW:112
    M from India. Currently in d 2nd year of med school. Spent my entire adolescence making excuses to not being able to lose weight. Finally made a resolution to change it all! N joined MFP since Christmas, have been going good since then. Feel free to add me :)
  • saamantha
    Options
    Hi all :) I'm 24 and I go to school full-time, working towards a degree in Anthropology. I'm the President of our anthro students' association, and a research assistant. Up until this semester I also did 220 hours of TA work (grading, invigilating exams etc.) per semester. I'm a really short girl, so all of the weight I've been carrying was taking its toll. I decided in July that I needed a change, so I completely overhauled my diet and started exercising. When school started in September, it got seriously difficult to maintain my exercise regimen, but I've managed to keep the weight I've lost off, and I have lost some as well (about 10lbs). It's just about knowing your routine, like many of the others have said. Not only that, it's about being conscious of the decisions you're making regarding food. There have been days where I've been so busy that I run out the door without any food, and since I don't have a license, driving somewhere to grab something healthy isn't an option. But I've managed to scope out the places that sell fresh produce. One place even makes rotisserie chickens daily.

On my home from school I get off 4 or 5 bus stops early. I take the eight flights of stairs to every class, and always walk to the other end of campus to catch my bus. I try to add extra steps to everything I do, especially if I know I won't have time to fit in a workout (because I stayed up all night writing a paper on gift exchange in modern social groups :P).

Height: 4'11
    SW: 208
    CW: 169
    GW: 130
  • HyugasHeiress
    HyugasHeiress Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm also a freshman, 18 and from Paris in France :) I added you x
  • jmcowan42
    jmcowan42 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm 20, full-time sophomore, and study secondary education at a University in TN. I also work a part-time job.

Starting weight ~270
    Current weight 265
    Goal weight is 200

I want to lose all the weight for when i become a teacher. I definitely don't want to be that fat high school teacher. Or if I don't like the teacher route i want to join law enforcement which would require me to be in shape. I have to be at least 21 to even join the academy so I want to keep my options open for that.

The university has a gym that i go to work out and run in. And I'm doing the body by vi 90 day challenge so I basically have my food situation under control.

Time management can be chaotic. Sleep, class, homework, social life, work, exercise. It can really stack up.

Feel free to add me
  • sciamachy
    Options
    Hey, I'm 20 and from London, England, studying Medieval Literature. I'm not really looking to lose that much weight, but to keep myself accountable for what I eat. Would always be nice to have friends!
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    Hey I am a 20 year old nursing student from Australia! I know how tough it can be.

My start weight was 253 and I'm now 197!
  • NicholeElizabeth92
    NicholeElizabeth92 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I'm 20 and from the great freezing state of Minnesota! I'm currently 197 and trying to get to 130 before graduation which is a little over a year away. I want to get fit to start my grad school and career working with kids with lots of energy and being the best me i can be. Also the 50 dollars jeans i bought that are 2 sizes to small that are taped to my wall is a bit of motivation as well. Anyone feel free to add me.
  • sarahmcp3
    sarahmcp3 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm 21 and from western Massachusetts. I'm around 143 (it fluctuates from day to day by a pound or so). My start weight was 147. I want to lose 7-15 pounds. I wanted to lose weight because I don't want to spend the best years of my life or the rest of my life from that matter, overweight. I'd like to live healthier. Plus I didn't think I looked attractive as I climbed closer to 150 and my clothes didn't fit anymore so my confidence went down. It's not easy but I'm slowly shedding and I know as I get more used to living this way and exercise it'll become easier. The hardest part is the start.
  • Guinevere117
    Guinevere117 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I am 22 yrs old, a full time student, and a senior in university. I am majoring in Anthropology and Asian Studies with a minor in Japanese. I will be entering my Masters program in Anthropology next fall (planning of getting a PhD.). I live in Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA and am going to the University of New Mexico. When I started here on MFP, I weighted 220 lbs and have since lost 106 lbs (in about a year and a half), making me 114 lbs (I really hope this counts). After losing so much weight, I am currently trying to both maintain my weight and add a lot more strength training in order to get rid of the flab and build some muscle.