5:2 Diet Receipe suggestions/Food ideas

Options
Hi

A couple of friends and I are starting the 5:2 diet, we are looking for some food and receipe suggestion for 500 calories.

Any help apprecaited,

thanks

Replies

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    500g chicken breast
  • VickyO1977
    VickyO1977 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I am starting too and am having soup for lunch a yogurt if I need a snack and then chicken and salad for tea. I also have gnocchi with low pasta sauce which is low its a WW recipe.
  • ChristineDiet
    ChristineDiet Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    soups are fantastic, or some kind of protein with salad.

I would suggest pre-planning and logging your meals so you can play around with your meal choices and alter as you go along.

I do IF on Tuesday and Thursday if you want to look at my diary.

good luck. x
  • suziorr1981
    suziorr1981 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hey, I've been doing the 5:2 as well. This is my 4th week now so I've tried lots of things. At the moment my favourite is the sugar free jelly sachet mixed in with half a stewed apple (in pan with water and a spoon full of sweetener) which makes up a pints worth of Jelly for 78 calories. I pick at it through the day when I feel too much of a pang. The apple in it makes you feel like your eating something to. Then I would have a dinner (reduced calorie ready meal, something for about 300-350 calories or a meal from the hairy dieters cook book) I have sweetener in my herbal teas as well.

Quorn is a really low cal option as well so am experimenting with that this week. Tomorrow I will have my jelly through the day, lettuce, cucumber, a hard boiled egg and a low fat laughing cow cheese triangle salad with a little salt followed by a quorn cottage pie for dinner which all totals 375 calories for the day excluding the sweeteners in my tea's as I don't know how many I will have yet.

Good luck with your first week! It does get easier after the first fast x
  • jetheridge11
    jetheridge11 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am planning to try this as well. I was wondering how it was going? And what you ate on the fast days?
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I'm in my 4th week of this. I think my diary's public, so feel free to have a look - I usually write in the "notes" section if it's a 500 cal day.

To save me writing "cals" each time, the figures are the approx calories.

Breakfast ideas:
    Boiled egg 60
    Half grapefruit 50
    Berries - raspberries and blueberries are about 1 cal each.

Lunch:
    I usually go for a clear soup - miso is about 30 a sachet, there's loads of cupasoups around 50, and I made my own Tom Yum soup last week which was gorgeous!
    Salads - green leaves, rocket, spinach etc, have really few calories - about 10-20 for a big bowl. Add some cucumber or tomato. A little bit of feta (30 g is 80 cals) . dress with lemon juice or tomato salsa.

Dinner:
    A slice of ham or pastrami is about 30, shrimps or scallops are really low calorie as well. I like to steam veggies - leek, pepper, mushrooms - and serve those with a slice of meat. Anchovies are brilliant - 13 cals for 2, and they go a long way to adding a zing to the veg.
    Another favourite of mine is courgette/ zucchini strips cooked briefly on a griddle pan so they get stripes, and then tossed in lemon juice.
    Souffle omelette with spinach and mushrooms.

Short answer - cut the carbs (potato, pasta, rice) and have loads of veg.