Intermittent Fasting diet

Options
My wife and I watched the BBC Horizon show regarding Intermittent Fasting (IF) diets and I signed up with "myfitnesspal" to count our calorie intake. The variant of the IF diet we're doing involves fasting two days per week (600 calories) and non-fasting for the other five days. For now we're fasting on Mondays and Wednesdays only. Two fasting days in a row seems a bit to severe to my mind. There's another variant of this diet called Alternate Day fasting which involves fasting every other day but that seems even more severe.

See: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19112549

It would be interesting to hear from anyone else who's following the IF diet.

Keith Picard
Reading, England

Replies

• getfitsam2910
    Options
    I just started this lifestyle today!
  • SaraBelle0312
    SaraBelle0312 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    bump for more info :)
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I am seriously considering it, but having read about women having a different physiological response to fasting, I am wary about starting without having more information.
  • holly3585
    holly3585 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I am three days in...but I am working on a daily fasting lifestyle.16:8, or 16 hours fasting each day, with a 8 hour feeding window. This options seems perfect for me, because I am a habitual late night snacker. I have read nothing but good things about IF, so best of luck to you!
  • Shange_Gully
    Options
    I do it, lose fat effortlessly without cardio.

Also personally I'm able to eat lots more and still lose weight, compared to when I was eating less but spaced out meals (like conventional meal times)

It's not a diet though, it is just a specific type of meal-timing

You can implement whatever diet into it you wish (low carb, high carb w/e)
  • getfitsam2910
    Options
    I started last night I am fasting 18 hours and then having a 5-6 hour feeding window then repeating. Although it may change as I go along since I am only 1 day into it. So far though it's been pretty easy for me.
  • DragonflyF15
    DragonflyF15 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Michael Aziz Perfect 10 diet also talked about the benefits of fasting 1 or 2 days a week. Thanks for the link, will check it out :)
  • cybercpa
    cybercpa Posts: 60
    Options
    I fast several days a week and have lost 7.2 lbs in two weeks. I had lost 20 lbs between May 26th and June 28th before beginning to use MFP. It works for because my metabolism doesn't get used to the same amount of calories. It "shakes things up". Also, if you are worried about your metabolism slowing down, exercise the day before or after to rev it up.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I actually started IF a week or so ago...I considered the alternate day & 5:2 like you are planning on doing but after researching it for months I found that the 14:10 is best for me...From what I read it's better for women than the 16:8 (and there were reasons for this) so that is what I opted for. So far I love it b/c I was doing it before and didn't realize it but now I just have a time added to it. It has really helped my not to snack at night since I have set a time of no eating after 9pm so that I can workout at around 11am in the fasted state (which makes my calorie burn higher it seems) and I can then eat around 12pm at the latest.

I have also heard nothing but good things about IF...There is a group on here for IF as well that you may want to check out:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/49-intermittent-fasting

Best of luck to you!! :smile:
  • ruthiejewell
    ruthiejewell Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Hi, my husband and I have just started this way of eating 2 days ago. We initially decided on the "up day down day" by Dr Johnson. This is our 3rd day and our second "down" day. That's 500 cals for my weight/height/sex and 400 for my husband. On "up" days we're given about 1800 for me and about 2000 for him. I haven't read the science of it in detail. Anyway - we've decided that although this seems fine and easy ( except for trying to eat the high cal allowances), we too will just eat low cal, maybe 500 cals each, twice a week. Add me if you like so we can compare notes! Oh while my husband is eating a low cal diet, I've been eating low carb so will continue this while watching cals especially on "down" days.
  • kmayne
    kmayne Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I started this Monday, and today is my second fast day. I think a 5:2 schedule will work for me long term, since I tend to eat more on weekends, and can sorta make up for it on Monday.
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    interesting article, was wondering about the fasting people have been talking about.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I personally haven't tried it but I believe the way my father lost weight would qualify as intermittent fasting, though he didn't call it that.

He gave up dinner. He would eat a huge breakfast around 7-8 a.m., a lighter lunch around 2-3 pm, and then nothing until breakfast the next day. Once in awhile, he would have a small snack in the evening if he'd been especially physically active. But most days, that worked out to an approximately 16-hour fast.

He was about '5,10" and weighed over 330 lbs at his heaviest. He lost about 115 pounds that way at an average of 3 pounds a month. It would have probably gone faster if he had exercised.
  • vintagebrighton
    Options
    I've been researching IF since watching the Horizon programme and have just decided to start tomorrow (work day so I'll be busy). I'm sticking to low carb still as it suits me but will do the 5/2 just to mix things up.

If only I'd known that for years I'd done fasting without even realising it. I never ate breakfast and used to only eat between 1pm and 7pm. It was constantly being told this was 'bad' for me that made me change and my weight problems escalated.

Still, knowledge is power as they say.........
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I do the leangains 16/8 that a lot of people on here talk about, but I've also tried a version of 5:2. There were never any days where I didn't eat but I'd fast for 24 hours twice a week eating dinner at 6:00 PM on one day and then not eating until 6:00 PM the next.
  • jetheridge11
    jetheridge11 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am wanting to try this. How is it going?
  • jetheridge11
    jetheridge11 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am planning on trying this. How has it gone so far for you?