• Nessa0506
    Options
    Tuna/chicken salad on romaine lettuce
    Frozen veggies
    Bulk chicken breast
    Oatmeal
    Beans
    Whole wheat rice
    Soups (make homemade- it tastes better and lasts the whole week)
    Turkey meatballs (1lb makes 16 meatballs for me- last a couple of days)
    Spaghetti squash ( cheaper than pasta and healthier)
    Water water water
    Canned low sugar fruits

My poor man's meal happens to be my family's favorite- black beans cabbage and brown rice.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Crock pot. It will allow you to cook cheaper cuts of beef and pork with whatever veggies, beans, rice, and spices you want thrown in. Chicken never works out well for me in it, though.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I don't spend too much on food, either - well, I don't like to, anyway - these are my go to staples for base "survival"

-Eggs
    -Bacon
    -Potatoes
    -Bananas
    -Offal

On that list, I believe bacon is the most expensive - but with the bacon, you can successfully fry all the other food on the list in it's grease. :D Alternatively, you could get butter, if it's cheap.

Why offal? Well, it's dirt cheap. Seriously. Over here, Ox heart is $5 a KG. And it's pretty much a freaking steak - I kid you not, once you get around the whole "ooh, yucky, a heart, I could never eat that..." mantra, you can be frying up gourmet steaks on a budget in no time. Also, offal meats offer vitamins that your body could be lacking from the lack of slightly more expensive veggies, so you could quite easily live off this stuff on the list alone. That said, I'd invest a little in buying some veggies (mushrooms/carrots/broccoli/PUMPKIN!).
    Bananas? They're decently cheap, and are a great dessert when frozen. Trick is to let them brown for a bit, first.

With the stuff on this list, you can create a ridiculously variety of things. Most recent pic on my profile is of what I made for dinner last night - only took ten minutes and was fantastic: giant *kitten* omelette with bacon and a grate hash brown. You an also make nachos, casseroles, fry ups and - hell, cakes with these ingredients, if you get a bit creative. I could literally live of this stuff without feeling the slightest bit deprived...

...okay, well, also put a few bucks aside to get yourself some quality chocolate and coffee.
  • emmie0622
    emmie0622 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    bump
  • spirit05
    spirit05 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    My kids love when I make my version of 'soupa'. It's easy, inexpensive, and can feed a lot or a little. It also keeps well for leftovers.

2 bricks ramen, we use beef or oriental
    1 bag frozen mixed veggies
    1/2 - 1 lb. ground beef or turkey
    Cook each ingredient separately
    Combine into large bowl and mix well
    Use the water from the ramen for soup or drain the water if you would rather add a topping like tomato sauce or cheese for a pasta casserole dish.

Serves 2
  • natashadem
    Options
    If you will give me your regular products, I will try to hepl. I cook a lot and have a lot of good recepies from not very expensive products.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    A site I like to use is
    http://www.supercook.com/

it has a "my kitchen" frame on the left where you add items (ingredients) you have on hand one at a time and it suggest recipes using those ingredients.
    Great way to find various tasty ways to try those pinto or kidney beans that you bought 25lbs of because it was $1/lb instead of $2.50 buying it in smaller packs.
    It will take your first ingredient added and then ask you for related items IE enter ground beef it asks you if you have chili powder, tomato paste etc, you can click those items from the suggestions on the right to add them to "your kitchen" and you should see the number of recipes using at least one of your ingredients increasing with each item you add.
  • Amy_nz
    Amy_nz Posts: 145
    Options
    Chickpeas! Eat chickpeas. Delicious, cheap, filling...chickpeas for president!
  • FunnyBunnyHunny
    FunnyBunnyHunny Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options

Thank you, that looks like a fantastic site.
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    @ op, I love this forum post. Thank you :)
  • Breymaraiyl
    Breymaraiyl Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    bump bump bump
  • connieleavens
    connieleavens Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    bump
  • anyamb
    anyamb Posts: 52 Member
    Options
  • HotAshMess