Coconut Oil Anyone?

Options

Replies

• gabesgourmet
    Options
    I use coconut oil to cook...it makes beautiful stir fry's, sautee's, pan fried steaks/chicken/chops etc...I eat higher protein, low carb combined with intermittent fasting so I'm not concerned about the calorie/fat content.

I love it!
  • luvred51
    luvred51 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Chrissie_R
    Chrissie_R Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    i cook with it but i might try some of the other ways after reading this!
  • scrapscot
    scrapscot Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I use it to cook; my partner uses it on her excema..which improves when she remembers to use it. My daughter is Paleo and uses it a lot in cooking and for her skin and as a lip balm. I've read the 101 uses but haven't started using it for everything it is supposed to help.
  • leopardjunkie
    Options
    I started washing my face with it and my face looks amazing! I did have a small break out the first few days but that's because the oil pulls the toxins out of the skin. My routine is twice a day. I slather some extra virgin organic coconut oil on my face then massage with a "buff puff" for about 1.5 minutes or so, then I continue massaging under running water in the shower for about another minute or so just so I'm not totally greasy when I get out of the shower, then pat dry. I don't know, but my pores and dark spots are diminishing and my face is so smooth and so so soft! Coconut oil has so many fantastic uses. I also make a cleaner for my wood and leather furniture out of it (1 part lemon juice to 1 part coconut oil) and if you want more of a furniture oil use less lemon and more coconut oil! I could go on about everything I use it for but this truly is a miracle product for me!

If you mix in baking soda with some coconut oil you can save your self a trip to the store for more buff puffs and use up baking soda which would have probably been tossed anyways. It makes a great exfoilient that is gentle and effective :0
  • brittigno
    brittigno Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I've only used it for my hair. >__> I've been meaning to try it cooked into something, but haven't yet. :ohwell:
  • neniplatas
    neniplatas Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Love it. I use Spectrum Organic Unrefined. I have eczema and use it directly on my skin as well as in place of hair serum. It is excellent for cooking because it is very heat stable (high smoke point), unlike other oils (such as olive oil) which break down at high temperatures which can create free radicals. Every so often I just eat a teaspoonful of it, but, like any other fat/oil it is calorie dense. I would not worry about going over on your fats -- it's a very health fat -- as long as you can keep the calories in line.
  • labissonette
    Options
    I started using it when I read an experiment someone had done on her husband who was showing signs of Alzheimers.

My mind seemed sharper after only a day or two, and if I don't have any for a couple of days I get into a mental fog and start forgetting things.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I use coconut oil for everything. I love it! It is high in calories, but it is very healthy for you. Olive oil is known for being healthy, but once you heat up Olive Oil, the goodness of it goes away and it's just oil. Coconut Oil, however, maintains all of its good qualities when heated.
    This is totally false. Olive oil can be heated higher than coconut oil. Olive oil can be heated to 400 degrees, coconut oil goes rancid over 350.
  • leopardjunkie
    Options
    I love coconut oil I put it in my coffee in the morning, or in my oatmeal or whip it in with cream cheese.

I also use it in place of butter when ever possible as I am not a huge fan of the taste of olive or grapeseed oil in most dishes. We started using it on our grilled cheese and man they are fantastically crispy!! I didn"t think I would like it cause I am huge on flavor and it fits the bill. I also use it to pan fry fish, bake and smoothies.

I am not having problems with loosing weight not sure if it is helping specifically.

I use the unrefined coconut oil as it is better for those with high cloesterol than the refined, and the unrefined it better absorbed into the skin from what I have read. The coconut taste is minimal not that I would mind.

i also use it to shave my legs, moisturing my hair, use it for lotion on my skin and face and cuticles. I mix it with baking soda for a great scrub.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    I also use it in my morning coffee and to cook my eggs in.
  • neniplatas
    neniplatas Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I use coconut oil for everything. I love it! It is high in calories, but it is very healthy for you. Olive oil is known for being healthy, but once you heat up Olive Oil, the goodness of it goes away and it's just oil. Coconut Oil, however, maintains all of its good qualities when heated.
    This is totally false. Olive oil can be heated higher than coconut oil. Olive oil can be heated to 400 degrees, coconut oil goes rancid over 350.

Sources?? Because this contradicts everything I've ever read about either oil. Coconut oil is a saturated fat which makes it much more stable than seed oils. (Unless the seed oils are refined, but then you get into other health concerns.)
  • momof2TONI
    Options

Sources?? Because this contradicts everything I've ever read about either oil. Coconut oil is a saturated fat which makes it much more stable than seed oils. (Unless the seed oils are refined, but then you get into other health concerns.)

I agree, this contradicts everything I've ever read about either oil also.
  • tigersword
    Options
    Extra virgin olive oil has a smoke point of 390 to 415 degrees. Virgin coconut oil has a smoke point of 350. REFINED coconut oil has a smoke point of 450, but refined coconut oil is basically hydrogenated vegetable oil, and does not contain any of the still debatable health benefits of virgin coconut oil.

Also, saturated fats have lower smoke points than most unsaturated fats. Look at butter as a prime example, very low smoke point, high saturated fat content. Saturated fat is more SHELF stable, not heat stable.
  • amhada
    amhada Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love it! I use the refined Coconut oil when I saute veggies, because the refined doesnt have the distinctive coconut taste. Does anyone know if refined is bad for you? I also put a tbs of unrefined in my green smoothies and it is yummy on toast with jam.
  • Songbird1104
    Songbird1104 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is one of the healthiest foods on the planet. I have at least a tablespoon a day. It's definitely worth the fat content because it's all healthy fats.

Exactly this.
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I use it for cooking. It has virtually the same benefits as olive oil, but it retains those properties even in high heat, where olive oil does not.
  • tigersword
    Options
    I use it for cooking. It has virtually the same benefits as olive oil, but it retains those properties even in high heat, where olive oil does not.
    As I already pointed out, no it doesn't. Smoke point of virgin coconut oil is actually lower than just about any other oil. Refined coconut oil has an extremely high smoke point, but it also has none of the health benefits.
  • makemyselfpr0ud
    Options
    Bump
  • fitatlastforme
    fitatlastforme Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I love it! I use it for cooking (some more great food ideas for it here!) I only use the extra virgin, it's very expensive here so I buy it as a reward!
    I don't find it a problem for my fats macros as I have them set higher anyway.